50 greatest players of all time

I actually agree with most of the top 10-15, but There are some doozies on that list. Ron Dayne might be the most overrated college football player of all time.
Mike Rozier was a good RB, but his stats were bloated due to running behind a great offensive line (including Rimington, who is on this list and deserves it) and by virtue of playing for a coach who was never shy about running up the score. He shouldn't be #29.

I don't have a problem with Herschel being #1, but where was he vs Clemson and Pitt in 1981 and then Penn State in 1982? He wasn't unstoppable.

Mike Rozier was a good RB, but his stats were bloated due to running behind a great offensive line (including Rimington, who is on this list and deserves it) and by virtue of playing for a coach who was never shy about running up the score. He shouldn't be #29.

I don't have a problem with Herschel being #1, but where was he vs Clemson and Pitt in 1981 and then Penn State in 1982? He wasn't unstoppable.
Belue threw 5 picks against Clemson.

IIRC, he had 124 yards against PSU.

Here he is against Pitt. This is an All American linebacker he decleated. You may have heard of him, Sal Sunseri

Belue threw 5 picks against Clemson.

IIRC, he had 124 yards against PSU.

Here he is against Pitt. This is an All American linebacker he decleated. You may have heard of him, Sal Sunseri

vs Penn State, Herschel rushed 28 times for 103 yards and 1 TD and he was stuffed for no gain on a 2 point conversion late in the game. Penn State led from start to finish. If you remember that game and don't just work from the stats, that was a very forgettable night for him. Part of that was because Georgia was behind the whole game (and by as much as 20-3) and part of it was because he was getting met at the line of scrimmage all night.

I don't have a problem with calling him the best college football player ever, but like I said, he wasn't unstoppable.

Burrow being that high I think is some recency bias. Burrow had an absolutely incredible season, perhaps the best by a QB in the history of the sport, but it was one season. The other season he had was very pedestrian. I wouldn't have ranked him ahead of some of the others on that list.

Also, as much as I dislike Georgia, it is really difficult to argue that Herschel Walker isn't the single greatest CFB player ever.
One of the worst lists I’ve ever seen

Some Penn St scrub over Reggie White and Doug Atkins? Vinny Testaverde over Manning? Not even worth the click
Pretty clear they factored in team success and how decorated the players are when making the list. Mike Reid and Testaverde both had more decorated careers (more awards) and had more team success than Reggie and Peyton did.

Burrow being that high I think is some recency bias. Burrow had an absolutely incredible season, perhaps the best by a QB in the history of the sport, but it was one season. The other season he had was very pedestrian. I wouldn't have ranked him ahead of some of the others on that list.

Also, as much as I dislike Georgia, it is really difficult to argue that Herschel Walker isn't the single greatest CFB player ever.

Pretty clear they factored in team success and how decorated the players are when making the list. Mike Reid and Testaverde both had more decorated careers (more awards) and had more team success than Reggie and Peyton did.
For what it's worth, Peyton Manning's college career record as a starter was 39-6. Vinny Testaverde's college career record as a starter was 21-3. Neither won a National Championship. It's tough to sell Testaverde as a better college player than Manning, especially when you look closely at how absolutely putrid Testaverde was in his two bowl games, which both had National Championship implications.

these list makers need some fall practice -- and there are some terrible omissions many of you wisely mentioned.
Did I overlook Archie M or Ernie Davis

No big tears for tide,

Barry Sanders #3? No way. He’s not top 50. 1 great year.

Joe Burrow now going to be ranked top 5 for one (albeit phenomenal) year?

Last edited:
Reactions: ArdentVol
Barry Sanders #3? No way. He’s not top 50. 1 great year.

Joe Burrow now going to be ranked top 5 for one (albeit phenomenal) year?

Surely, you jest. Sanders was a phenomenal player whose only fault was that he was waiting on playing time behind Thurman Thomas at Okie State.

Surely, you jest. Sanders was a phenomenal player whose only fault was that he was waiting on playing time behind Thurman Thomas at Okie State.

He had the greatest single year in college football history. But, I don’t think one year gets you #3 best player. Now, if he wasn’t behind Thomas, he may be #1.

Any list that has running backs in it better start with Bo.Not even up for discussion .
LMAO.
Herschel - 5259 yards, 49 TDs in 3 years
Bo - 4303 yards, 43 TDs in 4 years

Herschel was voted 1st string on the All Century Team and Offensive Player of the Century. He was briefly the world record holder at 60 meters and 5th fastest in the world at 100 meters, at 19, at 225#, while playing football. He made the 1980 Olympic team in the 100 and 4 x 100. Carter refused to let the team compete in Moscow.

LMAO.
Herschel - 5259 yards, 49 TDs in 3 years
Bo - 4303 yards, 43 TDs in 4 years

Herschel was voted 1st string on the All Century Team and Offensive Player of the Century. He was briefly the world record holder at 60 meters and 5th fastest in the world at 100 meters, at 19, at 225#, while playing football. He made the 1980 Olympic team in the 100 and 4 x 100. Carter refused to let the team compete in Moscow.

Herschel should have won three straight Heismans.

Reactions: tn4elvis
Baker Mayfield #21? Yeah no.

Interesting that the first 9 guys were running backs and now that position is becoming less and less coveted.

Reactions: hUTch2002
Barry Sanders has the most statistically incredible season in CFB history. It boggles the mind. Who cares if he was limited early in his career because he was behind an HOF upperclassmen? Not me. Say he's healthy, is there any chance he's not putting up numbers that continue to justify his being #3? They don't even count his 222 yard, 5 TD Holiday bowl and he still has the single-season yards and td's record in 11 freaking games.

For what it's worth, Peyton Manning's college career record as a starter was 39-6. Vinny Testaverde's college career record as a starter was 21-3. Neither won a National Championship. It's tough to sell Testaverde as a better college player than Manning, especially when you look closely at how absolutely putrid Testaverde was in his two bowl games, which both had National Championship implications.
Like I said, they factored in team achievements and decorations into the ranking. Testaverde won a Heisman and played in the midst of a run of dominance for the Miami program.

VN Store

Back