SEC football helmets ranked

I like the old school Kentucky helmets way more than what they use now...

70802b_lg.jpeg

Also I dig Ole Miss's script helmets but I think their uniform as a whole just looks like a rip off of the NY Giants. Also while Georgia's helmets are a Green Bay packers rip off, their jerseys are a modern day rip off of the Pittsburgh Steelers jerseys (same number font).

There is no accounting for taste but the UK black/blue unis with chrome helmet is pretty darn cool on a cool October evening game at Commonwealth.

For me other than because Tennessee is my team it’s mainly because of one thing. The way they look on a camera or tv shot from the side down low when the offensive linemen are coming to the line and getting into their stances. It looks to me it looks very iconic and super badass. The Dallas cowboys arent my Fave NFL team but their look in the same situation is similar. Would give about anything to wear that helmet one time. Wish some of our actual players felt the same

There is no accounting for taste but the UK black/blue unis with chrome helmet is pretty darn cool on a cool October evening game at Commonwealth.

You’re right, there is no accounting for taste.

In a league where you have classic, timeless, iconic helmets at Alabama, LSU, UGA, Tennessee and Auburn, the mere mention of chrome helmets in the SEC sounds like straight up blasphemy.

Last edited:
Gasn is the best website on the internet. I’m glad it gets linked here so frequently

I'm confused.

Are UK's colors blue & white or blue, white, & black or blue, white, black & chrome?

I don't get that logic. We're not in a competition with the Braves.
Curious to know your thoughts on Bama's helmets and how'd you rank the Top 3 and Bottom 3 overall.

I'd have top 3 as TN, LSU and Auburn in no particular order. With Bama in top 5. I actually like SC also. Georgia has always reminded me of a highschool team with their nickname and logo and color scheme

Bottom 3 would be Vandy, Mizzou and UK (especially the chrome)

Curious to know your thoughts on Bama's helmets and how'd you rank the Top 3 and Bottom 3 overall.

I would have Bama's lids somewhere in the middle. They are boring, and that's what I love about them. I don't need for Bama to have the best helmets.

As for the top 3, I like Auburn, UGA and Ole Miss' powder blues. I also like USCe's script helmet.

I don't care for Florida's primary look, but I like the block "F". Mizzou's current array of helmets are all awful, but the block "M" they used to use was awesome.

Reactions: PandamoniumReigns
I have a problem with him ranking Georgia #2 when he acknowledges that they "stole" the logo from Green Bay...or was it from Greenback, or Greeneville, or Gibbs...

So according to that guy...

Ole Miss script = best in the SEC
SCarolina’s script Carolina lids = great alternative to the block C lids
UF’s Gator script = boring

Yay consistency.
It's all about the look. I actually agree with him. The Ole Miss powder blues are fantastic. I don't actually care for the USCe script (moreso because I think the white helmet is a great look), and I agree that the script Gators is boring. Maybe it's the exact font, maybe it's something I can't place, I just think it's bland. The white helmet with the simple F would be in my top 3. It's all about taste.

fwiw, in a conference so deep in tradition and history, Kentucky is about the only time I've ever seen chrome that I could at least stomach.

I have a problem with him ranking Georgia #2 when he acknowledges that they "stole" the logo from Green Bay...or was it from Greenback, or Greeneville, or Gibbs...
I'd rank them high (maybe not #3, but high) on a list purely because of the colors. Red and black is a great color scheme and the shade of red they use looks good. Contrast the red Georgia uses with the red (crimson) Alabama uses. Georgia's red is a more vibrant, bright red that looks much better on the helmets and uniforms than Alabama's crimson, which is bland/dull and looks bad in particular on their helmets. The contrast when those two teams play against each other on the same field is obvious.

Florida's script look has always been curious to me because it's only on the helmet, and it looks really dated. I don't really think they use it in any other context - their other logos are the block F or chomping gator. Ole Miss's helmet logo is also a script, but it's also their main logo they use everywhere.

Didn't some advertising gurus a year or two ago conclude that the Power T on Tennessee's helmet was the most effective and powerful marketing icon in college football?

I'll take that over this one writer's druthers, heh. :)

Go Vols!

I believe they had Tennessee as one of the five most marketable but not the most. It included Nebraska, Arkansas, and I believe the other two were SMU and Michigan. It was based on showing helmets and then testing impact like they do ad campaigns (not sure what that entails). I know Arkansas' was considered the most memorable and highest impact across gender, age groups and income levels from that study. The only thing that changed it was if someone graduated from the school or a rival school, then everything changed, so they had to account for that somehow.

3. Georgia
“Easily the most recognizable single-letter helmets in college football”
6DA96545-6DE0-4663-A1B7-3BFF52651FC2.gif

I think this helmet ranking thing is dumb. Put the logo on it, make it the school colors and call it done.

Alabama should be 14th. And then there should be a 13-way tie for first.

My favorite all time helmets of SEC East teams

1977-1982 Tennessee

Tennessee_OLD.gif

1983-1988 South Carolina

South_Carolina_OLD7.gif

1971-1975 Florida

Florida_OLD3.gif

1964-1977 Georgia

Georgia_OLD3.gif

1975-1981 Kentucky

Kentucky_OLD3.gif

1979-1983 Vanderbilt

Vanderbilt_OLD10.gif

1971-1977 Missouri

Missouri_OLD4.gif

My Favorite all time helmets of SEC West teams

1983-1984 and also 1950s-1971 Alabama

Alabama_OLD1.gif

1979-1983 Auburn

Auburn_OLD3.gif

1970 Ole Miss

Mississippi_OLD6.gif

1973-1977 Mississippi State

Mississippi_St_OLD1.gif

1977-1979 LSU

LSU_OLD2.gif

1978-1994 Arkansas

Arkansas_OLD4.gif

1979-1998 and 2004-2006 Texas A&M

Texas_AM_OLD1.gif

I'm confused.

Are UK's colors blue & white or blue, white, & black or blue, white, black & chrome?
You forgot gray.

Every team does it to sell merch. I am pretty sure that I saw that you guys are wearing black this season against UK.

VN Store

Back