I hope this is true because we're top 5

I’m so excited for this season. We have some really good returning players, and the guys coming in are elite talent. I think the line-up will be;
PG: Vescovi
G: Springer
G: Josiah
F: Pons
F: Fulkerson
The rotation is tricky with all the other talent, so I’m not even gonna try to make a depth chart. I mean Keon Johnson, Victor Bailey Jr, Corey Walker Jr, EJ Anosike, Devonte Gaines, Etc. I think it’s safe to pencil in Anosike as one of the back up Forwards. Then after that the subbing can be frequent depending on who is hot on a given night. It’s just really nice having options. Even Malachi Wideman is a 4 star if he is serious about playing 2 sports! Can’t forget about guys like Pember and Nkouhma either, because a year can make a huge difference in basketball! Nkouhma can be a very solid player for us, but really getting a guy like Anosike can really help him. A fifth year senior leader can really help out a young team, and we have what I think are 3 really good leaders in Fulkerson, Pons, and Anosike. This season should be very special IMO. Most talent in years but I really only see one player who is one and done possibly and that’s Springer. Which will lead to another solid team the following season. Gosh this line up would be deadly:
PG: Chandler
G: Vescovi
G: Johnson
F: Walker Jr
F: Banchero
Bailey Jr?, Gaines, Nkouhma, Pember, Wideman, Beckwith, and whatever recruits we add in the 2021 class. I believe Barnes is going to start really earning his money in the next couple years.

I still think that Bailey will get a lot of minutes early and many gradually go to KJ. Anything can happen in preseason workouts though. Each player has been largely responsible for their own development and strength and conditioning. Any players that lack motivation and self discipline can come into the fall semester behind those that were motivated and self disciplined.

I still think that Bailey will get a lot of minutes early and many gradually go to KJ. Anything can happen in preseason workouts though. Each player has been largely responsible for their own development and strength and conditioning. Any players that lack motivation and self discipline can come into the fall semester behind those that were motivated and self disciplined.
Bailey looks to be a good player, Keon looks to be a 1st round type player. Bailey may play early but I'd be surprised if he ever plays more than Johnson as the kid is just too talented to sit the bench.

Bailey looks to be a good player, Keon looks to be a 1st round type player. Bailey may play early but I'd be surprised if he ever plays more than Johnson as the kid is just too talented to sit the bench.

Since Keon and Springer are almost certainly going to leave early, maybe Barnes throws them into the fire. If he only has them for 35 or 70 games maybe getting them up to speed as quickly as possible is the route to go. But it's also balancing getting them experience and not having any bad losses. Bailey should bring a lot early on. This damn CV-19 better not eff up the start of an era that I've been waiting my whole life for. Packed arenas are a bad formula. I almost always fight off minor illnesses throughout basketball season. Err body needs to keep on social distancing this mofo sickness.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Springer is one and done, I can almost guarantee it. I really hope Keon gives UT, 2 years, but if he is a 1st round lock, he almost has to go. JJJ may be our best all-around player, next year, and could leave, also. Add Pons, if he comes back and Fulk improves...... UT could have 5 kids drafted in the '21 NBA Draft. Just saying

Springer is one and done, I can almost guarantee it. I really hope Keon gives UT, 2 years, but if he is a 1st round lock, he almost has to go. JJJ may be our best all-around player, next year, and could leave, also. Add Pons, if he comes back and Fulk improves...... UT could have 5 kids drafted in the '21 NBA Draft. Just saying

Unless Springer has an injury that needs to be rehabilitated, he should be one-and-done. The only other realistic scenario is if he's way overrated... which is highly unlikely. Keon coming off off his injury might slow his development slightly.

All of their careers could be affected by the 'Rona. But it's more likely that the SEC will have a season than most other conferences. Conferences that cancel their football seasons may not be allowed to have basketball seasons. The SEC ain't gonna cancel football. The stadiums might be empty, but they'll play football.

Unless Springer has an injury that needs to be rehabilitated, he should be one-and-done. The only other realistic scenario is if he's way overrated... which is highly unlikely. Keon coming off off his injury might slow his development slightly.

All of their careers could be affected by the 'Rona. But it's more likely that the SEC will have a season than most other conferences. Conferences that cancel their football seasons may not be allowed to have basketball seasons. The SEC ain't gonna cancel football. The stadiums might be empty, but they'll play football.
Agreed, but do u think UT could have 5 guys drafted, that is the real question ?

@PulaskiVolFan I think we should only communicate in the basketball forum as I actually agree with your sentiments in here.

I'm with Thunder though...I hope this *bleeping* Covid garbage doesn't screw up something special that we've never seen in TN basketball.

Agreed, but do u think UT could have 5 guys drafted, that is the real question ?

Well, there are 3 nearly certain high first rounders. Pons is most likely going to at least earn a few paychecks like Admiral and Bone. There are nearly a half dozen that are potentially getting a Pons-like opportunity if they develop. Walker could even be a solid first rounder. ORN, Fulk, even Ticket. Who knows? Some players are peaking the day that they walk on campus. Others keep getting better for several years and have a great opportunity to develop in the Deacon's program.

Springer is ranked #15 by rivals, last 10 years the guy ranked #15...

Bryan Antoine...returning after freshman year
Keldon Johnson...one and done 29
PJ Washington...two and done
Jarrett Allen...one and done 22
Stephen Zimmerman...one and done 41
Dwayne Morgan...graduated
Bobby Portis...two and done
Grant Jerrett...one and done 40
Cody Zeller...two and done
Jelan Kendrick...graduated

So 4/10 were actually one and done...of those 4, they were drafted 22nd, 29th, 40th and 41st. So none of them were lottery picks, two of them didn’t even go first round, and at least one other was a fringe 1st/2nd rounded. All that to say, those guys probably got advised to come back to school for another year and improve their stock, but their situations or handlers may have pushed for them to declare even though they weren’t 1st round projections.

I hope as much as everyone else that Springer is a lottery pick after this year, it would mean we likely had a great season and he was the best 15th ranked player in the last 11 years...not sure those are the most fair expectations. And that’s not even mentioning how he will have less time on campus working out, working with coaches, developing, and practicing with his teammates than any of those other guys before him.

Unless Springer has an injury that needs to be rehabilitated, he should be one-and-done. The only other realistic scenario is if he's way overrated... which is highly unlikely.

4/10 of the last guys ranked the same were one and done, were the other 6 overrated or maybe are expectations a bit out of line?

4/10 of the last guys ranked the same were one and done, were the other 6 overrated or maybe are expectations a bit out of line?

The recruiting classes aren't going to be identical year to year. The 20th rated prospect one year could be better than the 5th rated prospect in the next year. I have no idea how these classes compare with others.

I'm not expecting KJ and Springer to be great from day 1. King and Grunfeld were impressive as true freshmen. Reggie Johnson and Dale Ellis not so much. Allan Houston was pretty advanced on the offensive end. But different eras and different expectations from various coaches. I do expect JJJ to ball out from day one this year.

The recruiting classes aren't going to be identical year to year. The 20th rated prospect one year could be better than the 5th rated prospect in the next year. I have no idea how these classes compare with others.

I'm not expecting KJ and Springer to be great from day 1. King and Grunfeld were impressive as true freshmen. Reggie Johnson and Dale Ellis not so much. Allan Houston was pretty advanced on the offensive end. But different eras and different expectations from various coaches. I do expect JJJ to ball out from day one this year.

I didn’t use 1 year of data, over 10 years that should be enough of a sample size.

2019: 12
2018: 14
2017: 17
2016: 10
2015: 13
2014: 9
2013: 4
2012: 8
2011: 6
2010: 7

So over the last 10 years on average 10 freshman have been drafted in the first round, and we are declaring that Springer who’s ranked 15th in the country is a lock to be a Top 10 freshman in the country this year. Seems like a bit of unrealistic expectations to me.

Springer is ranked #15 by rivals, last 10 years the guy ranked #15...

Bryan Antoine...returning after freshman year
Keldon Johnson...one and done 29
PJ Washington...two and done
Jarrett Allen...one and done 22
Stephen Zimmerman...one and done 41
Dwayne Morgan...graduated
Bobby Portis...two and done
Grant Jerrett...one and done 40
Cody Zeller...two and done
Jelan Kendrick...graduated

So 4/10 were actually one and done...of those 4, they were drafted 22nd, 29th, 40th and 41st. So none of them were lottery picks, two of them didn’t even go first round, and at least one other was a fringe 1st/2nd rounded. All that to say, those guys probably got advised to come back to school for another year and improve their stock, but their situations or handlers may have pushed for them to declare even though they weren’t 1st round projections.

I hope as much as everyone else that Springer is a lottery pick after this year, it would mean we likely had a great season and he was the best 15th ranked player in the last 11 years...not sure those are the most fair expectations. And that’s not even mentioning how he will have less time on campus working out, working with coaches, developing, and practicing with his teammates than any of those other guys before him.
Plus Springer is not the type of physical specimen that NBA teams move up their board and disregard the lack of experience from only playing 1 season in college. I know it's fun to be excited about getting players that we don't typically get. But fans don't need to go overboard and get the wrong perspective. It's certainly possible he leaves early. And hopefully if he does is because he had a great season. Put it this way, if I was forced to put money on a bet I would bet he returns for his sophomore season. And that is in no way a slight to him as a player.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup
Plus Springer is not the type of physical specimen that NBA teams move up their board and disregard the lack of experience from only playing 1 season in college. I know it's fun to be excited about getting players that we don't typically get. But fans don't need to go overboard and get the wrong perspective. It's certainly possible he leaves early. And hopefully if he does is because he had a great season. Put it this way, if I was forced to put money on a bet I would bet he returns for his sophomore season. And that is in no way a slight to him as a player.
I agree 100%. At this point, I think it's unreasonable to expect one & done. Of course that is subject to change as time goes on.

Reactions: JelloPuddinPup

Agreed...I may change that to simply say not a 1st round pick, I suppose he could declare and go in the 2nd round if his family was in that situation, but I don’t think it’s remotely fair to put the expectation at “1st round lock”.

I didn't interpret that as drafted in the same year. I thought it meant who on the roster gets drafted at some time... 2021, 2022, 2023, etc.
Here’s the post you replied to...

Thinking through it though... it would be really hard to pull off, but it's possible that JJJ, KJ, JS, Pons, and Fulk could be 5 taken in 2021. I don't expect it, but it's possible. Weren't there 3 drafted a year ago and a 4th wasn't too far down the list? Bone was drafted, wasn't he? Detroit? Kyle needed another couple of rounds to be added in the modern draft.

VN Store

Back