Why is far East Tennessee forgotten?

Milehigh_Vol

I'm tired of being invited to groups on Facebook that are "East Tennessee" groups and find out they are strictly Knoxville groups. Or better yet political groups and people that think East Tennessee stops at Knoxville..

I love Knoxville but it is barely in East Tennessee but gets to encompass all of "East Tennessee"

Why do you think this is?

It's not the oldest city.
It's not the largest population cluster.
It's not the largest economic zone.

It's just something that annoys me from time to time working in government in the tri cities region. Or as the new flashy slogan of the week "Appalachian Highlands"

Stupid name I know, but it stems from people thinking East Tennessee ends in Knoxville. We have to rebrand ourselves to fit others agendas.

I'm tired of being invited to groups on Facebook that are "East Tennessee" groups and find out they are strictly Knoxville groups. Or better yet political groups and people that think East Tennessee stops at Knoxville..

I love Knoxville but it is barely in East Tennessee but gets to encompass all of "East Tennessee"

It's just something that annoys me from time to time working in government in the tri cities region. Or as the new flashy slogan of the week "Appalachian Highlands"

Stupid name I know, but it stems from people thinking East Tennessee ends in Knoxville. We have to rebrand ourselves to fit others agendas.
Happens everywhere. Down here, most people don’t think anything happens south of Atlanta.

So what happens with Memphis and Nashville to West and Central Tennessee? Same damn thing. BFD.

Here are some ideas off the top of my head for group names:

1. The "Real" East Tennessee

2. East East Tennessee

3. East Tennessee - Mountain Region

4. East Tennessee - Blue Ridge Mountain Region

5. East Tennessee - Appalachian Region

6. East Tennessee - Smoky Mountain Region

7. Northeast Tennessee / Southeast Tennessee (not sure which area you live in)

8. East Tennessee - Non Knox County Region

9. East Tennessee - Scenic Region

10. East Tennessee - Border Region

That's all I got for now.

Reactions: feathersax
Happens everywhere. Down here, most people don’t think anything happens south of Atlanta.
Don't they know everything's better in Metter?

As for Tennessee east of Knoxville, everyone knows Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge, and Bristol Motor Speedway.

This is a meaningless post. Who cares? There are more important topics that should be bothering you.

I consider the Knoxville region East Tennessee and the Tri Cities region Northeast Tennessee. That's how they're divided for a lot of state funding purposes.

tenor.gif

Speaking of, aren't you around Macon? If so, can you get that construction done quicker please?😂

Here are some ideas off the top of my head for group names:

1. The "Real" East Tennessee

2. East East Tennessee

3. East Tennessee - Mountain Region

4. East Tennessee - Blue Ridge Mountain Region

5. East Tennessee - Appalachian Region

6. East Tennessee - Smoky Mountain Region

7. Northeast Tennessee / Southeast Tennessee (not sure which area you live in)

8. East Tennessee - Non Knox County Region

9. East Tennessee - Scenic Region

10. East Tennessee - Border Region

That's all I got for now.

Wrong. Everyone knows it is God's Country.

Population cluster it is not. I go through the data every month. City yes. It is 45 min from Middle Tennessee.

I'm legitimately asking, but what metrics are you using for population? The Knoxville Metro Statistical Area shows about 900k people. Now, I know it's a pretty big area and probably bigger than the tri-cities, but that's certainly more in population. The MSA's are defined.

I'm not on social media, but I didn't realize this was a big deal. Went to UT for 4 years, been to Gatlinburg many times, know plenty of people from upper East TN. Never really discussed it much, but Knoxville has the state's flagship university and is generally more populated, so it's going to get the pub.

VN Store

Back