Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: this post contains football talk.

There was an interesting article in the Atlanta paper a few days ago where a "numbers guy" from Ohio (who ranks HS teams for the paper) decided to run some numbers to see which SEC football teams were the most dominant ever. The primary factor was how much they dominated their opponents. I will link the article below for you numbers guys. There are separate ratings for most dominant offensive teams and most dominant defensive teams. What I found interesting was the overall ratings.

The best team 100 teams were topped by last year's LSU team. That was the most dominant team I have seen in my lifetime. As you might expect, Alabama had 28 of the 100. Tennessee was second with 14. The 1980 Georgia National Champion team did not make the list. (The numbers guy grew up in Athens GA!)

Here are the Tennessee teams which made the top 100 -
2. 1938
38. 1956
41. 1998
42. 1950
49. 1965
50. 1985
51. 1970
56. 1951
60. 2001
71. 1997
77. 1940
83. 1995
88. 1972
93. 1939

Sadly, most of our really good teams were 20 years ago or more. My dad told me that the 38 & 39 teams were the best he ever saw. The 38 team only gave up 16 points the whole year and won a national championship. The 39 team was undefeated, untied, and unscored on during the regular season. They lost to USC in the Rose Bowl. I am looking forward to the day when Coach Pruitt puts another Tennessee team on this list.

Here is the link to the article: LSU ranked most dominant SEC team ever, the ’80 Bulldogs miss cut

Just how far out are ya? Used to go to Emerald Isle every year...not sure if technically Outer Banks. Never made it waaay out there like Buxton, Duck, Rodanthe.

And when I look at how far in the middle of the ocean it is on a map, I pee myself just a little. It literally looks like it could be swallowed up at anytime by a rogue wave.

Edit: nm see you posted where hours ago. You are definitely way out there brother. Enjoy

Last edited:

Sadly, most of our really good teams were 20 years ago or more.

Well, sad for sure, but 60-75% of that 20 years is contained within the Great Vol Debacle that hopefully we’re just now coming back from.

It’s funny to think that our grandchildren will look at the Wikipedia of their day and this whole nightmare will just be a dark blip in a storied history. Okay, maybe maybe a touch more than a blip... a blop?

But it doesn’t feel that way when you live through it and that blop is a substantial chunk of your life. Jeez, if you’re not in your 30s you probably don’t know what Tennessee football is really like.

I was 33 years old when we last won a NC but this current dark age has occupied about a quarter of my life. Ugh.

Okay, I’m done. Sorry. Uhhh... Go Vols!

Before we enjoy the schadenfreude too much, let’s keep in mind that his name is FloridaMan. We have to consider that the word “staff” may mean the coaches and he’s stating his disapproval, OR it means a long straight stick that he found and has just had a cool idea for.

I was waiting for someone to pick up:)

So I have to assume that either you created that screen name just to be able to make that joke when the opportunity presented itself, or that bull penis corndogs have a substantial role in your life.

One of those two makes you more interesting but I’m honestly not sure which.

So I have to assume that either you created that screen name just to be able to make that joke when the opportunity presented itself, or that bull penis corndogs have a substantial role in your life.

One of those two makes you more interesting but I’m honestly not sure which.
The screen name has an Italian connotation to it. I'll just say that whatever one you decide is more interesting, add this to it.

Salt Salting GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back