Most Wins As Head Coach At Tennessee

sport3500

Mears 278 wins (If Mears did not have health issues, UT might have a national championship banner or Final Four banner hanging in TBA)
DeVoe 204 wins (Solid defensive coach who like Mears was an Ohio native)
Pearl 145 wins ( If not for the Aaron Craft incident, he could have coached 15 years at UT and taken the program to a couple of Final Fours and maybe a national championship game)
Barnes 105 wins (One Final Four appearance with possibly another one or two in the future and maybe a national championship game appearance)

I think Barnes could pass DeVoe and has an outside chance of possibly passing Mears if he coaches at least another 10 years.

What does the board think?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bennessee01
I suspect Barnes will surpass Pearl, perhaps Devoe depending on how much longer he coaches. I can't envision him coaching long enough to catch up to Mears, though.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I just hope we have one or two seasons that end with 7 wins

Unless you're calling for him to challenge Wade in futility, you left out the word consecutive.

Also, 7 would be hard to do. 6 are needed to win the NCAAT, 7 with a play in game. It's not possible to win just the last game of the SECT and 6 in the NCAAT. I'll take winning the last 9, 10 or more (as long as an NIT championship isn't the last 5).

I think I know and like what you meant. 7-23 would be a disaster. I don't think that you're a Gator, Vandy, or KY fan.

I don't think Barnes coaches more than 3 or 4 more years personally. He should certainly pass Bruce, but I don't know if he'll pass Devoe. He might, but he certainly won't pass Mears.

Barnes is 64 so I think he has a good chance to surpass Mears.
He's a pretty young 64...seems age, if guys are in shape and into coaching, isn't a real issue any more. He's 5 years younger than Roy Williams...looks more than that, and Coach K 73, and Saban 68. If you'd have told me when Barnes started that we'd get more than 5, I'd have been kinda surprised...thinking he got a "coast to retirement" deal...but he's clearly got the energy and things going in the direction to keep after it, and if he passes Mears, he'll have put us into a longer term upper tier bball school for "the next guy".

He's a pretty young 64...seems age, if guys are in shape and into coaching, isn't a real issue any more. He's 5 years younger than Roy Williams...looks more than that, and Coach K 73, and Saban 68. If you'd have told me when Barnes started that we'd get more than 5, I'd have been kinda surprised...thinking he got a "coast to retirement" deal...but he's clearly got the energy and things going in the direction to keep after it, and if he passes Mears, he'll have put us into a longer term upper tier bball school for "the next guy".
Just setting the stage for Kara Lawson :)

Unless you're calling for him to challenge Wade in futility, you left out the word consecutive.

Also, 7 would be hard to do. 6 are needed to win the NCAAT, 7 with a play in game. It's not possible to win just the last game of the SECT and 6 in the NCAAT. I'll take winning the last 9, 10 or more (as long as an NIT championship isn't the last 5).

I think I know and like what you meant. 7-23 would be a disaster. I don't think that you're a Gator, Vandy, or KY fan.
I know it wasn't SEC but UConn disagrees with this idea.

SECT Champs

Mears 278 wins
DeVoe 204 wins
Pearl 145 wins
Barnes 103 wins

I think Barnes could pass DeVoe and has an outside chance of possibly passing Mears if he coaches at least another 10 years.

What does the board think?

I guess it’s possible but if he wants 10 more years at Tennessee we need to start cutting nets down and hanging banners.

If Barnes coaches 10! More years and hasn’t won a natty then he needs fired!
I'm pretty intolerant of mediocrity, but this is silly. If he is averaging 20 wins or better and beating Kentucky once a year, he can stay as long as he wants. We will mourn his March failures but enjoy the heck out of December- February.

Dang TGO. I'll get my legal staff to file a brief on it next time. 🤣 Just win the final SECT game and last 6 to finish up. That's all.

VN Store

Back