Previewing the Tennessee Defense.

A lot of if's, linebacker is a concern

Losing Taylor and Bituli will cause for concern.
However Crouch, Bennett, and Harrison got significant reps last season. They're not brand new and the d-line is as good as anyone in the SEC. Secondary as well.

Throw in
Key Lawrence
Morven Joseph
Bryson Eason and you have to like what this defense brings.

Losing Taylor and Bituli will cause for concern.
However Crouch, Bennett, and Harrison got significant reps last season. They're not brand new and the d-line is as good as anyone in the SEC. Secondary as well.

Throw in
Key Lawrence
Morven Joseph
Bryson Eason and you have to like what this defense brings.
Like I said it's a concern. Outside of Henry T who else can we say at linebacker without a doubt will perform at a high level. If we're being honest here there is nobody else. We can talk about potential all day and that's a concern.

Left off JJ Peterson and Deandre Johnson plus incoming freshman French, Eason, McDonald and Joseph 4 (4*s). Eason could play day 1. He's athletic and has the size already.
None of those guys are proven at the college level. We only have one proven linebacker which raises concern. Name one guy that's proven to make plays every week outside of Henry T.

Reactions: keenobserver
None of those guys are proven at the college level. We only have one proven linebacker which raises concern. Name one guy that's proven to make plays every week outside of Henry T.
Well u got 2 sacks from Johnson, 2 from Roman, 2.5 from Bennett, Butler had 2.5,and 28 tackles from Crouch. They combined for 132 tackles and 9.5 sacks. They were all pretty much underclassmen so there is no reason to believe they wont signifcantly up that production with another year in the system. U are right Eason & French are unproven but they at least step on campus day 1 physically ready to compete in the SEC. U dnt have to wait on them to get bigger they just have to learn the system. They anchored the best 6A defense in TN the last few years so i think they will be ok. Thats 7 guys not named HT, all of which were at least 4 star recruits, & 5 of them have been in the system for at least a year. We have an extremly talented defense across the board and depth really isnt an issue tbh. We had a top 30 defense in the country and return 8 starters, every backup, Gooden from injury, plus 8 4star recruits on that side of the ball. U add Pruitt to that and the defense will be fine. The offense is the real concern.

Well u got 2 sacks from Johnson, 2 from Roman, 2.5 from Bennett, Butler had 2.5,and 28 tackles from Crouch. They combined for 132 tackles and 9.5 sacks. They were all pretty much underclassmen so there is no reason to believe they wont signifcantly up that production with another year in the system. U are right Eason & French are unproven but they at least step on campus day 1 physically ready to compete in the SEC. U dnt have to wait on them to get bigger they just have to learn the system. They anchored the best 6A defense in TN the last few years so i think they will be ok. Thats 7 guys not named HT, all of which were at least 4 star recruits, & 5 of them have been in the system for at least a year. We have an extremly talented defense across the board and depth really isnt an issue tbh. We had a top 30 defense in the country and return 8 starters, every backup, Gooden from injury, plus 8 4star recruits on that side of the ball. U add Pruitt to that and the defense will be fine. The offense is the real concern.
Have you ever played football? Serious question....

Let me touch on this for second. Butler and Roman played defensive end last season so that's that. Ok so you did your research of the stats and Crouch had 28 tackles to lead that group. So basically you're proving my point without understanding the game as well as my comment for concern. Our returning linebacker omitting HT only had 28 tackles not in three or four games for the entire season. So basically a group of guys that played back up roles now become starters . I never said they couldn't do it I said it's a concern. If you can't understand that then you must just need to argue

Reactions: kbear01
OTH, those guys were playing behind two seniors who were both statistical leaders on our defense. They were not expected to pile up stats. Fortunately, with HT we have an experienced, apparently cerebral, starter returning.
Now, assuming HT gets them lined up correctly, with the right call, there is solid reason to expect that 2 or more can use their size and natural ability to give us seasons similar to HT. If so, we'll be pretty solid.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back