Chances Tennessee ends with #2 rated class?

A lot of time between now and NSD. If you look at the average stars and points, UT isn't #2 now. You can't go off total points at this juncture. UT has more points simply because the Vols have more commits.

To finish #2, UT probably needs 3-4 fewer 3* and finish the rest with 4/5* players.

Truth is... being #2 vs #9... won't assure the class is better. If a program is well-coached and stays in the top 10 or perhaps even 15 then they can compete and win at a high level. It helps if your coach can evaluate talent for himself and finds 3* guys who either are or can be developed into elite players.

I can remember when 3* Denarius Moore was the "baggage" UT took to get the 4* Lennon Creer.
That was the best plus 1 recruit i think we ever ended up with D Moe was a baller.

0%

Top 10 is attainable.

Too many 3 star commitments in comparison to the usual recruiting big dogs.

Cull the herd of 3 stars, and replace with 4’s, and we are on to something.
Did you not read about the 3 star that pruitt recruited that just went pro in the first round. He has a reputation of spoting talent. Let's try and not get caught up in stars and where we rank in recruiting class and trust our coaches to field the best team that they believe can win.

Did you not read about the 3 star that pruitt recruited that just went pro in the first round. He has a reputation of spoting talent. Let's try and not get caught up in stars and where we rank in recruiting class and trust our coaches to field the best team that they believe can win.

This reminded me of when Eric Fisher (2*) went #1 in the Draft a few years ago and the same things were said about Butch.

Reactions: KarnsTownVol

Thank you for sharing the link. I don't follow 'cruitin' that closely and this article confirms my reasoning why. Take this clip, for example:

For example, Terrence Lewis, the Vols’ highest rated commit is worth 29.41 points. Aaron Willis, UT’s highest rated four-star commit, is worth 24.57 points.

Colby Smith, the highest rated three-star that’s committed to Tennessee, is worth 11.19 points.

You can see the full list here.

So the Vols need to add at least 30 points to their total to get in that top five range.

But it’s not as simple as adding one five-star player.

If the Vols were to get a commitment from Amarius Mims (a five-star offensive tackle), their point total would only go up to 265.52 (because of the formula that 247Sports uses, it would lower the value of every other commit…which is the bell curve).

So, according to 247, the value of a player fluctuates due to the rankings of the other players in the class? Yeah, that makes sense!

Reactions: MemphisVol77

A question was asked by the OP.

I answered that question based on my opinion.

I have no doubts that the 2021 class will be stellar, regardless if it is top 2, or not.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
We have a top 10 class. What's hurting our recruiting ranking is re-evaluations and summer camps that these kids go to show off their skill.

Recruiting is already unpredictable but add in the current circumstances and I don’t think anyone could guess how it’s going to turn out. I don’t even know if there will be a high school season, so who knows how that will affect evaluations and rankings by the time signing day rolls around. I would say that there will be a few departures of guys and new additions but at this point I’m just trying to enjoy it while I can.

Too many 3* commits ....... zero chance.
Nice class, but based on numbers.

Right now we already have NINE 4*s (and one 5*)
tumblr_lp6fjpCRo81qz4yoao1_400.gifv

You can be pretty sure that we will fill up with top talent in those few remaining slots and we are in on a number of other blue chips. The recent recruiting surge surely will help things to continue to lean our way.

Reactions: peaygolf
Right now we already have NINE 4*s (and one 5*)
tumblr_lp6fjpCRo81qz4yoao1_400.gifv

You can be pretty sure that we will fill up with top talent in those few remaining slots and we are in on a number of other blue chips. The recent recruiting surge surely will help things to continue to lean our way.

Great movie!:)

I personally think the #2 ranking is because of the high number of commits. Great class so far and a top 10 (maybe top 5) is possible in the end. But not #2 after signing day. JMO

Great movie!:)

I personally think the #2 ranking is because of the high number of commits. Great class so far and a top 10 (maybe top 5) is possible in the end. But not #2 after signing day. JMO

It is absolutely there because of the high number of commits - even so, it means we are that much more likely to fill up with blue chips. Again, not that Pruitt and staff are looking at stars, because I sincerely doubt it - but the guys that they already have are likely to bring even more top talent. Yes, there will be some 3*s who will get recruited over and maybe one or two who get stolen from us but it is a almost a sure thing that if we are this good this early, we are only going to get better.

Bottom line - it is a helluva lot easier to end up #2 if you are #2 now than it is if you are #20 now, even though it doesnt seem like the math works that way. If we end up top 5 though, I am ecstatic! especially seeing the quality of these guys and knowing that there are now coaches here who have long track records of actually developing NFL quality talent.

How many can you sign?
You need another 35 points to finish 5th, and another 55 to finish 1st

Last edited:
It is absolutely there because of the high number of commits - even so, it means we are that much more likely to fill up with blue chips. Again, not that Pruitt and staff are looking at stars, because I sincerely doubt it - but the guys that they already have are likely to bring even more top talent. Yes, there will be some 3*s who will get recruited over and maybe one or two who get stolen from us but it is a almost a sure thing that if we are this good this early, we are only going to get better.

Bottom line - it is a helluva lot easier to end up #2 if you are #2 now than it is if you are #20 now, even though it doesnt seem like the math works that way. If we end up top 5 though, I am ecstatic! especially seeing the quality of these guys and knowing that there are now coaches here who have long track records of actually developing NFL quality talent.

Love the optimism:cool:...........I'm hoping for at least top 5. I do think that can happen.

Reactions: Gandalf

VN Store

Back