Borzello (ESPN) has us #11 in his "too early" top 25

wtmvol

Gonzaga the new No. 1 in college basketball's Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2020-21

He has Kentucky at 13 and Florida at 21. Arkansas is his next in line, so 26th.

11. Tennessee Volunteers
Previous: 13

I get more optimistic about Tennessee's roster every time we update the rankings. The Volunteers struggled last season and would have missed the NCAA tournament, but I think a big bounce-back campaign is in store for Rick Barnes' team. Here's how deep Tennessee's talent level is this season: The Volunteers might not have to start both incoming five-star guards and they could also have someone who averaged 15.7 points and 11.6 rebounds last season coming off the bench. Four starters are back from a season ago, while five-star guards Jaden Springer and Keon Johnson will push for starting roles immediately. Sacred Heart graduate transfer E.J. Anosike provides depth and experience on the interior. Among the returnees, Santiago Vescovi might be the key. The Uruguayan point guard became eligible in January and gave Barnes a lift in the starting lineup immediately -- but Vescovi needs to become more efficient and cut down on his turnovers if Tennessee is to reach its potential. He had five or more turnovers in seven of his 19 games played and a negative assist-to-turnover ratio in eight of 19.

Projected starting lineup:

Santiago Vescovi (10.7 PPG, 3.7 APG)
Jaden Springer (No. 16 in ESPN 100)
Josiah-Jordan James (7.4 PPG, 5.5 RPG)
Yves Pons (10.8 PPG, 5.4 RPG)
John Fulkerson (13.7 PPG, 5.9 RPG)

Gonzaga the new No. 1 in college basketball's Way-Too-Early Top 25 for 2020-21

He has Kentucky at 13 and Florida at 21. Arkansas is his next in line, so 26th.

11. Tennessee Volunteers
Previous: 13

I get more optimistic about Tennessee's roster every time we update the rankings. The Volunteers struggled last season and would have missed the NCAA tournament, but I think a big bounce-back campaign is in store for Rick Barnes' team. Here's how deep Tennessee's talent level is this season: The Volunteers might not have to start both incoming five-star guards and they could also have someone who averaged 15.7 points and 11.6 rebounds last season coming off the bench. Four starters are back from a season ago, while five-star guards Jaden Springer and Keon Johnson will push for starting roles immediately. Sacred Heart graduate transfer E.J. Anosike provides depth and experience on the interior. Among the returnees, Santiago Vescovi might be the key. The Uruguayan point guard became eligible in January and gave Barnes a lift in the starting lineup immediately -- but Vescovi needs to become more efficient and cut down on his turnovers if Tennessee is to reach its potential. He had five or more turnovers in seven of his 19 games played and a negative assist-to-turnover ratio in eight of 19.

Projected starting lineup:

Santiago Vescovi (10.7 PPG, 3.7 APG)
Jaden Springer (No. 16 in ESPN 100)
Josiah-Jordan James (7.4 PPG, 5.5 RPG)
Yves Pons (10.8 PPG, 5.4 RPG)
John Fulkerson (13.7 PPG, 5.9 RPG)

I like this starting lineup. Not sure if Springer or Johnson starts, but this is good.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
The Michigan-Kentucky game scheduled to be played in London on December 6th has been postponed until 2022, per ESPN.

If you think he can get a waiver at any of his top 7 schools, what makes you think he wouldn’t get one at UT? That makes no sense.
I'm guessing we asked him to take a redshirt year, next season, and not even pursue immediate eligibility. This was the scenario in which I believed he was most worthy of us pursuing. We aren't really hurting at the guard position in 2020-21, but we could find ourselves in a situation where his experience and scoring would be valuable to us in 2021-22 if Springer, Johnson, and JJJ all decided to pursue the draft.

A redshirt year would give him a year in Barnes' system to refine his shot, learn the offense, work on his PG skills, and develop some discernment in shot selection.

Just my theory.

Reactions: walkenvol
According to TB, We told him we have no room. Too bad.
Well that’s because we literally have no room. We’ve used up all 13 scholarships for next year unless Pons stays in the draft or someone else on the team transfers.

I'm guessing we asked him to take a redshirt year, next season, and not even pursue immediate eligibility. This was the scenario in which I believed he was most worthy of us pursuing. We aren't really hurting at the guard position in 2020-21, but we could find ourselves in a situation where his experience and scoring would be valuable to us in 2021-22 if Springer, Johnson, and JJJ all decided to pursue the draft.

A redshirt year would give him a year in Barnes' system to refine his shot, learn the offense, work on his PG skills, and develop some discernment in shot selection.

Just my theory.
This ^

Reactions: cncchris33

VN Store

Back