Will we press and run more this year

I am hoping we can up our steals and forced turnovers versus what we were giving up. We were very weak last season in forcing turnovers, stealing the ball, and in effect it made us a deficit team in shots attempted especially when we got to SEC play. If we had been able to prevent the huge shot deficit in games by evening out the turnovers we'd have easily won two or three more SEC games and finished third in the league.

Here are a few games where we were terrible in shots attempted versus shot given up:

at Kentucky 61 shot attempts to their 70 11 free throws to their 27 we lost by 4
at UConn 56 shots attempts to their 73 7 free throws to their 15 we lost by 15 Not that much when you consider a 17 shot differential and 8 more free throws for them
at South Carolina 52 shot attempts to their 69 12 free throws to their 16

This was the case in far more games than these three we were consistently giving up double digit shot attempts to the opponent while not getting to the line as much as they did. This is where the major problem with the team was last year and certainly the main area where we have to improve.

Here are a few games where we were terrible in shots attempted versus shot given up:

at Kentucky 61 shot attempts to their 70 11 free throws to their 27 we lost by 4
at UConn 56 shots attempts to their 73 7 free throws to their 15 we lost by 15 Not that much when you consider a 17 shot differential and 8 more free throws for them
at South Carolina 52 shot attempts to their 69 12 free throws to their 16
Right. Against the better teams. It's why we're no longer elite.

If we do run and press more, I just hope its by choice as part of, not instead of, running an actual half court offense. If we're back to the old school press, steal and score off t.o.s as a cover up for lacking a pass and move offense, we're stuck in the middle of the SEC pack.

Kellies offense is evolving. We saw a good portion of her basic philosophy last year. I expect she will continue to enhance her teams game play by designing to the talent she has. Unfortunately, the pandemic has slowed down player development which may slow down the implementation plan. Please, NO INJURIES.

Reactions: mcannon1
Kellies offense is evolving. We saw a good portion of her basic philosophy last year. I expect she will continue to enhance her teams game play by designing to the talent she has. Unfortunately, the pandemic has slowed down player development which may slow down the implementation plan. Please, NO INJURIES.

Agree, Coach K will use all of the offensive weapons instead of yelling
"pound it in to Russell" or "It's hard,,I don't know (scratch my head)"

The game plan will be to press the weaker teams and that same game plan will be used against us.

Reactions: glv98
Unpopular opinion, but with our size I think we are way better off getting our butts back and getting our defense set. Force teams to play over top of us and move our feet. I love the 3 quarter court trap. Maybe press occasionally on made buckets just to change up the pace. See if you can get a two for one off a steal and build a lead.

I just worry that we still don’t have the team foot speed to not get scored on out of the press. Our discipline in the press was better last season but we still had mental lapses. I would venture to guess that we broke even on the press last year. In 17-18 I’m pretty sure the press was negative for us because the bigs kept allowing an offensive player to get behind them and gave up layups. Something Holly never corrected. During my playing days if I had done that even once during a game I would have run the entire next practice, start to finish. That was press rule numero uno for the bigs “nobody behind you.”

Reactions: mcannon1 and lvocd
Unpopular opinion, but with our size I think we are way better off getting our butts back and getting our defense set. Force teams to play over top of us and move our feet. I love the 3 quarter court trap. Maybe press occasionally on made buckets just to change up the pace. See if you can get a two for one off a steal and build a lead.

I just worry that we still don’t have the team foot speed to not get scored on out of the press. Our discipline in the press was better last season but we still had mental lapses. I would venture to guess that we broke even on the press last year. In 17-18 I’m pretty sure the press was negative for us because the bigs kept allowing an offensive player to get behind them and gave up layups. Something Holly never corrected. During my playing days if I had done that even once during a game I would have run the entire next practice, start to finish. That was press rule numero uno for the bigs “nobody behind you.”
Basketball is about matchups. Individual, and team. However you match up best and however you can utilize your strength best is what your game plan is going to be for that game. Every single game will have a different playing. If not then the coaching would be questioned. Every single game has to be analyzed and planned. Was a back-up plan.!

Basketball is about matchups. Individual, and team. However you match up best and however you can utilize your strength best is what your game plan is going to be for that game. Every single game will have a different playing. If not then the coaching would be questioned. Every single game has to be analyzed and planned. Was a back-up plan.!
I prefer to have the opponent have to adjust their game to my team. Be the aggressor.

This version of the Lady Vols might have more depth, but I’m not sure they have the overall team quickness to press that often.

You seem to know the strengths and weaknesses of this team. As a coach, how would you game plan for various teams?

I prefer to have the opponent have to adjust their game to my team. Be the aggressor.

This version of the Lady Vols might have more depth, but I’m not sure they have the overall team quickness to press that often.

You seem to know the strengths and weaknesses of this team. As a coach, how would you game plan for various teams?

One thing you'll never hear from a a coach is how he would play against his own team. I do know the strengths and weaknesses of the Lady Vols player/team and if I played them I would undoubtedly exploit them, but to verbalize them in a public forum, no way.

If I was in Al Brown's capacity, I would do this for both the lady vols and their foe for every game,,to Coach K and her staff only.

If setting a game plan, I would not only have a plan for the game, but for each player per their individual weaknesses on the team...e.g.,,,attacking ____ bc she is easy to get into foul trouble...Attack the paint when ____ is in there bc she is slow to bring help defense, Attack ____ when she has the ball bc she gets easily rattled...etc...Each player has an avenue of attack. On a public forum I wouldn't reveal these..

But as far as a general plan:
- our mid paint to the foul line defense is bad against mid-range cutters who "stopNpop"
- attack the weakside with skip-passes and immediately penetrating with the guards bc we are slow to adjust to a weakside drive
- If a run starts,, put the pedal to the floor,, bc we won't call a timeout to stop it
- gear up for a run at the end of Q1 and Q3 as this seems to be our team mental lapse tendency
- The best time to press the ball is when the LV's go into ball/personnel stagnate movement

One thing you'll never hear from a a coach is how he would play against his own team. I do know the strengths and weaknesses of the Lady Vols player/team and if I played them I would undoubtedly exploit them, but to verbalize them in a public forum, no way.

If I was in Al Brown's capacity, I would do this for both the lady vols and their foe for every game,,to Coach K and her staff only.

If setting a game plan, I would not only have a plan for the game, but for each player per their individual weaknesses on the team...e.g.,,,attacking ____ bc she is easy to get into foul trouble...Attack the paint when ____ is in there bc she is slow to bring help defense, Attack ____ when she has the ball bc she gets easily rattled...etc...Each player has an avenue of attack. On a public forum I wouldn't reveal these..

But as far as a general plan:
- our mid paint to the foul line defense is bad against mid-range cutters who "stopNpop"
- attack the weakside with skip-passes and immediately penetrating with the guards bc we are slow to adjust to a weakside drive
- If a run starts,, put the pedal to the floor,, bc we won't call a timeout to stop it
- gear up for a run at the end of Q1 and Q3 as this seems to be our team mental lapse tendency
- The best time to press the ball is when the LV's go into ball/personnel stagnate movement
I didn’t ask how you would game plan for Tennessee. I was asking how you would game plan for other teams with this Tennessee team.

Why would you not talk strategy on a public forum? It’s not like you are revealing anything that opponents wouldn’t know.

Reactions: glv98
There are several trap defenses Kellie could install to take advantage of her personnel. She has enough back court players to stay fresh throughout the game.

I didn’t ask how you would game plan for Tennessee. I was asking how you would game plan for other teams with this Tennessee team.

Why would you not talk strategy on a public forum? It’s not like you are revealing anything that opponents wouldn’t know.

We could play many ways with this team
traditional
2 BH'ers, 2 PF. 1C
4 out 1 in
3 shooters w 2 posts
personally I'd love to see a press with : Ren, Rae, Jordan, Salary and Jaiden...they'd terrorize an opponent with length and speed

VN Store

Back