What does everyone think about our WR unit?

Sorry for the long response but

It’s not about being “good enough” because every one of them are. I hate to say it but I think it’s on Pruitt to INVEST the time in another qb for there to even be a chance of that happening. I’ve said it before and I’ll stick to my opinion that the qb change last year is what turned the team around. JGs play got “better” as a result of being pushed by a very capable freshman when the time came that Pruitt had no choice. It took all of one game when, in his post game press conference, it became clear that Pruitt was looking to switch back to JG AS SOON as there was a reason to say “I told you so”. My point is this..... had Pruitt INVESTED the same time/confidence into Maurer that he gave JG leading up to the start of the season, regardless if JG started, Maurer would’ve been more “ready” to take on UF, UGA and Bama in the second half because adjustments could’ve been made to counter their adjustments. Instead, we seen Pruitt putting JG on a pedestal and tearing down the confidence of Maurer and Shrout.

I’m sorry to anyone that disagrees but until Pruitt learns that qbs are unlike any other position and you GOTTA to let them “play through” their mistakes to get better, there will be no qb “good enough” to unseat anyone. EVERY qb will play in fear of making mistakes and being benched. Just remember that Manning set the int record his rookie year with the Colts. Without the SUPPORT of his coaches to work through those issues, Peyton wouldn’t have become one of the greatest qbs to ever play and the Colts would’ve never sniffed the playoffs, much less win a SB.
I can't agree with you on this because I firmly believe that without Maurer's injury... he would have started the rest of the season.

Pruitt was willing to change even after investing as much as he had in JG. He had to overcome every coaching instinct in his body to play a young guy that really wasn't ready over a 4th year player.

Given all that happened, I don't think they could have managed the QB's any better. If anyone has a gripe... it could be Shrout.

I'm not entirely sure how you can discuss WR's without discussing the QB if he isn't doing his job well.

That said, UT has a ton of talent at WR and a few guys like Johnson and Palmer with good experience. UT has more talent than they did in 2007 when the Vols were a VERY strong passing O.

In fact, my wish is that JG played like Ainge. Ainge made good, timely decisions and reads. He anticipated throws well and put the ball where it needed to be. JG has more arm talent than Ainge ever had. But Ainge played the position much better.

I can't agree with you on this because I firmly believe that without Maurer's injury... he would have started the rest of the season.

Pruitt was willing to change even after investing as much as he had in JG. He had to overcome every coaching instinct in his body to play a young guy that really wasn't ready over a 4th year player.

Given all that happened, I don't think they could have managed the QB's any better. If anyone has a gripe... it could be Shrout.
agreed. Shrout got opportunities.. Big arm... Kept doing dumb things that drove Pruitt nuts.

I'm not entirely sure how you can discuss WR's without discussing the QB if he isn't doing his job well.

That said, UT has a ton of talent at WR and a few guys like Johnson and Palmer with good experience. UT has more talent than they did in 2007 when the Vols were a VERY strong passing O.

In fact, my wish is that JG played like Ainge. Ainge made good, timely decisions and reads. He anticipated throws well and put the ball where it needed to be. JG has more arm talent than Ainge ever had. But Ainge played the position much better.
Ainge didn't lack Confidence, that's for sure. He had plenty enough talent, enough football acumen and a surrounding cast that didn't require ainge to be more than he was.

If nothing else, I think jg will have 3 of those things this season...

Wonder where his confidence level really is and how that translates to everything else?🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
It’s going to be hard to replace the Dawg. I think Palmer can match his output, maybe even more. He will need some help from the rest of the group to stay out of double coverage.

I dont think anyone matches Dawg’s physicality. That will be missed
I think Beckwith is going to be that guy. He plays with the same intensity and nastiness, plus he's 6'5 235 and faster than JJ.

It is just plain wrong. Hoping that JG takes a Michael Jordan attitude--rather than take it as criticism, use it as motivation and PROVE detractors wrong. That's what made Jordan the greatest. Whenever he had the opportunity to use something someone said or did to motivate him, he turned that into laser focus and made them regret the slight--even if it was just imagined.
If he hasn't done it by now.......

He looked so bad against Indiana. Maybe his worst game, and that's saying a lot.

He has enough talent around him to get 7 maybe 8 wins. That's fine. Better than where we were a few years ago.

There are some talented WR's on this team. Not concerned about that group
When did a QB leading his team on 2 4th quarter do or die drives become his worse game. Come from behind victories are generally considered a good trait for a QB.

There‘s VERY capable talent in the barn. I also believe that Tee will have them ready to impress when they hit the field. As you’ve noted, we’ve got a 5* redshirt in Gibbs and several other very talented receivers such as Velus Jones (USC transfer) who’ve been brought in. Our 2020 Incoming freshman receivers are Special:

FL WR Malachi Wideman ★★★★
6'4" 197lbs
247 Composite: (.9492)

SC WR Jalin Hyatt ★★★★
6' 162lbs
247 Composite: (.9218)

GA WR Jimmy Calloway ★★★★ (Will Surprise)
5'11" 166lbs
247 Composite: (.9197)

AL WR Dee Beckwith ★★★ ( Should be 4* )
6'4" 215lbs
247 Composite: (.8884)
I think it's the best looking Freshman group of wideouts we've had in a long time, I'm excited about them all. We've had tremendous success with speed guys over the years, here's hoping the same for Hyatt

Reactions: sameolvol

That’s true and I believe that as well. But it makes you question that feeling when he’s asked about Maurer and nearly every response turned to JG and what he did in the same game. Almost like he deflected the questions sometimes to talk about JG.
I also agree that Maurer wasn’t ready as I’ve said before as well as the way they worked it throughout the season. I think he managed it as well as anyone could imagine and the results show just that. That being said, some of that was brought on by himself earlier in the spring by not TRULY giving the other guys a real chance. That time was valuable, especially for a freshman. The fact that he was denied the opportunity only makes you wonder “what if” after the way it played out because he could’ve been that much more experienced going into those big games.

Trust me..... when I say this I mean no disrespect to JG OR Pruitt. Imo it was just a mistake and I hope he learned from it. He’s human just like us.

When did a QB leading his team on 2 4th quarter do or die drives become his worse game. Come from behind victories are generally considered a good trait for a QB.

we had to come back because our offense was stuck in neutral mainly because of our inept QB. We should have beat that team by at least 15+. JG was horrible for 3 quarters

It’s not about being “good enough” because every one of them are. I hate to say it but I think it’s on Pruitt to INVEST the time in another qb for there to even be a chance of that happening. I’ve said it before and I’ll stick to my opinion that the qb change last year is what turned the team around. JGs play got “better” as a result of being pushed by a very capable freshman when the time came that Pruitt had no choice. It took all of one game when, in his post game press conference, it became clear that Pruitt was looking to switch back to JG AS SOON as there was a reason to say “I told you so”. My point is this..... had Pruitt INVESTED the same time/confidence into Maurer that he gave JG leading up to the start of the season, regardless if JG started, Maurer would’ve been more “ready” to take on UF, UGA and Bama in the second half because adjustments could’ve been made to counter their adjustments. Instead, we seen Pruitt putting JG on a pedestal and tearing down the confidence of Maurer and Shrout.

I’m sorry to anyone that disagrees but until Pruitt learns that qbs are unlike any other position and you GOTTA to let them “play through” their mistakes to get better, there will be no qb “good enough” to unseat anyone. EVERY qb will play in fear of making mistakes and being benched. Just remember that Manning set the int record his rookie year with the Colts. Without the SUPPORT of his coaches to work through those issues, Peyton wouldn’t have become one of the greatest qbs to ever play and the Colts would’ve never sniffed the playoffs, much less win a SB.
Lol, we have one of the best QB rooms in the SEC and it's seemingly getting better through recruiting. We have one of the most experienced QB rooms in the country, we have one of the highest rated group of QBs in the country and we have a stable full of young WRs to throw to. Pruitt has done a great job with the QB position and it could very likely turn into a position of strength the next 5-7 years depending on if we land future prospects in Tee's son, Manning's newphew and several other top guys we're in on to go along with those we currently have. What a joke in thinking that Pruitt has mishandled the QB position, hell he's set it up to be successful for a while.

Lol, we have one of the best QB rooms in the SEC and it's seemingly getting better through recruiting. We have one of the most experienced QB rooms in the country, we have one of the highest rated group of QBs in the country and we have a stable full of young WRs to throw to. Pruitt has done a great job with the QB position and it could very likely turn into a position of strength the next 5-7 years depending on if we land future prospects in Tee's son, Manning's newphew and several other top guys we're in on to go along with those we currently have. What a joke in thinking that Pruitt has mishandled the QB position, hell he's set it up to be successful for a while.
I agree with everything you said until you called it a joke that Pruitt mishandled the qbs. You don’t have to look back very far to find the “fire Pruitt” threads BECAUSE he mishandled the qbs early. I’ve given him credit for how he handled it down the stretch but it doesn’t change what got us there to begin with.

we had to come back because our offense was stuck in neutral mainly because of our inept QB. We should have beat that team by at least 15+. JG was horrible for 3 quarters
Why should we have won by 15+? Pretty sure Vegas had it a 3 point game and the only ones predicting a blowout were overzealous Vol fans. Doesn't matter why we were behind as he played nearly flawless when it mattered and when the pressure was the greatest. You woulda coulda shoulda guys need to find a better argument than by starting out saying "we should of". This post is about WRs anyway.

Reactions: sameolvol
I agree with everything you said until you called it a joke that Pruitt mishandled the qbs. You don’t have to look back very far to find the “fire Pruitt” threads BECAUSE he mishandled the qbs early. I’ve given him credit for how he handled it down the stretch but it doesn’t change what got us there to begin with.
Why does it matter how it starts, it's how it finishes and right now at this moment everything about the QB position at UT is a positive. That doesn't mean it'll play out successfully but I like the strength of that position today as compared to what our QB room has looked like the last 10 years. For a 1st time coach who inherited a terrible roster to do what he has done at the position is 1st class stuff all the way, not just part of the time. He's also built this roster to not have to rely on great QB play in order to compete and that will be what pays off the most.

Why does it matter how it starts, it's how it finishes and right now at this moment everything about the QB position at UT is a positive. That doesn't mean it'll play out successfully but I like the strength of that position today as compared to what our QB room has looked like the last 10 years. For a 1st time coach who inherited a terrible roster to do what he has done at the position is 1st class stuff all the way, not just part of the time. He's also built this roster to not have to rely on great QB play in order to compete and that will be what pays off the most.
I agree with that. I think our disconnect on this one simply the fact that I’m talking about early spring into September and you’re talking beyond.

Why should we have won by 15+? Pretty sure Vegas had it a 3 point game and the only ones predicting a blowout were overzealous Vol fans. Doesn't matter why we were behind as he played nearly flawless when it mattered and when the pressure was the greatest. You woulda coulda shoulda guys need to find a better argument than by starting out saying "we should of". This post is about WRs anyway.
I’m not bashing JG here but he gave Indiana 10 points with a pick 6 and a pick deep in our territory. 2 big mistakes. I will give him credit for staying calm and playing well late. But to say he had a good game is just wrong imo, he did well late but early on it was not so good.

I would say that most of the team weren’t totally locked in for the majority of the game. JG clearly didn’t have a very good game for 3 1/2 quarters. If it weren’t for Paxton Brooks, Eric Gray and a few others making heroic plays,....we lose that game!

Last edited:
Reactions: vols 30

Maybe you should enroll him in the same online course you took? Glad you’re Wikipedia’ng our great players to use as examples on a new edit thread. 😉 Random question, if the Colts hadn’t cut loose Jim Harbaugh before Peyton’s rookie season OR signed anybody capable of starting games, would they have rode through every single one of those 28 interceptions? While you ruminate and relate, that NFL FRANCHISE which had lost enough games to land Peyton in the first place, was prepared to LOSE LOTS OF GAMES while Peyton worked “through those issues”. You seriously think Pruitt coming off an oft criticized 5 win first season had the damn time to cultivate a 3 star QB who didn’t exactly match Peyton’s durability...much less prowess? Peyton broke his jaw in his fourth season and MISSED ONE PLAY. Quit trying to force feed this comparison to sell your boy...it doesn’t work.

Last edited:
Lots of new faces but lots of new weapons as well. Palmer reminds me a bit of Donte Stallworth in that he always seems to be able to get open and has great hands, I think he's a solid go to guy and capable of an All-SEC type season. As for the rest, it's a bunch of unknowns really save Johnson. I think by season's end our main 4 WRs will be Palmer, Keyton, Beckwith and Johnson with Gibbs getting most of the backups receptions. Wideman and Hyatt will play but I believe both may end up just playing 4 games and redshirting as they both need to add size and strength even though both are exceptional athletes.
Great potential with some very dangerous speed and ability. Potential for game breaking plays when they have experience with specific QBs.

agreed. Shrout got opportunities.. Big arm... Kept doing dumb things that drove Pruitt nuts.
Don’t know about the “kept” part. Whenever Shrout was on the field, I envisioned this comedy skit where this act was performing and you kept seeing this hook in the background. Whenever the performer would struggle with a joke the hook would inch towards him and then he’d hit on one and it would back up...then it swooped and yanked him off the stage when he coughed.

Chaney has to coach a little better too.

There's too much budding drama in the QB room. JG obviously and the baggage that comes with him being the QB.
Maurer with his immense talent and scary tendencies. Now throw in the questions about his mental health. A lot of people are going to link that to his concussions...or whatever they were. That's going to be a recurring talking head story pregame.
Then you got what some think is the next Peyton Manning potentially, in Harrison Bailey. But he's a true freshman.

It's not the most stable room. There's no Alphas there yet. Which is bad when you have a 5th year SR who's been playing since his redshirt freshman year...

I’m not bashing JG here but he gave Indiana 10 points with a pick 6 and a pick deep in our territory. 2 big mistakes. I will give him credit for staying calm and playing well late. But to say he had a good game is just wrong imo, he did well late but early on it was not so good.

Everyone knows he isn't a good QB. You have a few posters that know JG isn't a good QB but will always defend him for reasons other than play on the field.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
I’m sticking with Palmer as my breakout guy this fall. He’s shown some great potential and I think that this season he puts it all together given the right opportunities. I think Gibbs is the wildcard because we don’t know that much about him other than some positive scout team reviews.
I would also like CJC to try to get more creative using the backs in the passing game, and I don’t mean use the swing pass more..😡 LSU used Edwards-Helier in so many ways last year he became just another huge asset for them. I think he caught 50 balls or something crazy. I feel like we could use Chandler and Grey more isolated against linebackers and give whoever the QB is an extra easy read.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

VN Store

Back