South Carolina Sets Fall Class Schedule

glv98

USC has decided to compress fall semester and end it for on-campus classes at Thanksgiving break. Lots of common sense reasoning involved. Wants to end on-campus presence before flu season sets in, also don't want kids going home for Thanksgiving to various locations and possibly bringing that exposure back to campus. Will do on-line class for whatever is left of the semester.

This opens a huge question for basketball season. Can you have the bball teams remain on a campus which has basically been declared unsafe for all other students to come back to? They will have extra dorm space with all those empty rooms I guess, so could effectively social distance live. Also would have lots and lots of practice time. Will be very interesting to see the next steps.

Reactions: savannahfan
USC has decided to compress fall semester and end it for on-campus classes at Thanksgiving break. Lots of common sense reasoning involved. Wants to end on-campus presence before flu season sets in, also don't want kids going home for Thanksgiving to various locations and possibly bringing that exposure back to campus. Will do on-line class for whatever is left of the semester.

This opens a huge question for basketball season. Can you have the bball teams remain on a campus which has basically been declared unsafe for all other students to come back to? They will have extra dorm space with all those empty rooms I guess, so could effectively social distance live. Also would have lots and lots of practice time. Will be very interesting to see the next steps.
Seems like it could be problematic if they have separate safety standards for athletes vs. the general student body. The risks you outlined would be true for athletes playing away games, so it's a mixed message at best.

Winter sports will be interesting...

Reactions: glv98
Just heard, the SC model is catching on a bit. Purdue, Creighton, and someone else have announced similar plans for fall semester. Emphasis on having students gone by late fall when new covid spike plus flu is anticipated.

Definitely problematic for bball, as is the travel at that time. And would an empty campus ensure games without fans? But hey, if you can have a major league baseball season without spitting, you can figure out anything.

USC admin haven't read that covid is over and was a hoax to begin with?

Reactions: PRG and glv98
Just heard, the SC model is catching on a bit. Purdue, Creighton, and someone else have announced similar plans for fall semester. Emphasis on having students gone by late fall when new covid spike plus flu is anticipated.

Definitely problematic for bball, as is the travel at that time. And would an empty campus ensure games without fans? But hey, if you can have a major league baseball season without spitting, you can figure out anything.

Notre Dame also

USC admin haven't read that covid is over and was a hoax to begin with?
Part of the grand worldwide conspiracy I'm sure. I'm always fascinated by conspiracy theories in which thousands of people have to cooperate and keep quiet. Hell I can't even get 3 people to go along with anything and clam up about it at my house.

A number of schools have very similar schedules already. Those on the quarter system end at Thanksgiving and pick back up second week of January. There are optional winter interim sessions. Most student athletes stay on campus and take interim courses to stay caught up. Also helps them to carry fewer hours during the season by taking interim. There are ways 👍🏼

Most student athletes stay on campus and take interim courses to stay caught up
But not on campuses that have basically been declared unsafe for student habitation. That's going to be the problem.

UT was actually still on the quarter system many, many moons ago when I was there. Fall Quarter ended in early December creating a really nice, long Christmas break before Winter Quarter started early Jan. I kind of liked it bc it allowed you to take more classes, stuff you were actually interested in. Downside was it was really compressed and moved quickly; if you were still hung over and missed a few Monday classes you were sunk.

Reactions: krichunaka

I believe what they are thinking is, they don't want to run the risk of the campus becoming unsafe by kids bringing C-19 back from all over. Not that the campus is unsafe.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Just like anyone that wants to keep the same doctor can right when you have Obama care!!!
Don't want to get dinged for making this too political; in fact I'm so pissed and devastated that this pandemic, even this, has become so tribal. However, there are two things I would think a Trump supporter would never, ever want to bring to a game of whataboutism: alleged sexual misconduct and truthfulness. Better back away slowly from those.
I believe what they are thinking is, they don't want to run the risk of the campus becoming unsafe by kids bringing C-19 back from all over. Not that the campus is unsafe.
I thought the idea was the campus becomes unsafe due to the students traveling to various areas and then returning to campus. Which is exactly what a basketball team would be doing on the regular.

Just like anyone that wants to keep the same doctor can right when you have Obama care!!!

Quotes from different men at different times .... But there is a correlation between them !

One was trying to improve our health care .. but he definitely lied ! I don’t think anyone died because of this untruth ?
The other definitely lied about a health care problem in the middle of a World wide Pandemic and the body count is ongoing !
Time will tell about both situations and History will be the judge ..... JMO 🙏

The NCAA announced that it would not hold sports if students are not on campus (the rationale being that it would not ask student-athletes to take more risk or expose other to more risk than the general student body).

Like all things related to Covid-19, the NCAA might revise its position.
However, if it does not, it seems like the best case scenario would be a restructured season that has to work around the time that students are not on campus. Looking ahead, if they are concluding the semester early, then they might also stare Spring semester late (perhaps using on-line instruction for January-February. So, the basketball season if it happens might have more of a March through June timetable (much like track and field).

Quotes from different men at different times .... But there is a correlation between them !

One was trying to improve our health care .. but he definitely lied ! I don’t think anyone died because of this untruth ?
The other definitely lied about a health care problem in the middle of a World wide Pandemic and the body count is ongoing !
Time will tell about both situations and History will be the judge ..... JMO 🙏

I vowed that I would steer clear of political things but it is not fair to say that Obama "lied." Like many things with health-care reform, there were a lot of moving parts in the process and that led to misunderstandings.

Here is one version of Obama's original statement and some explanation of it: "First of all, if you've got health insurance, you like your doctor, you like your plan - you can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Nobody is talking about taking that away from you."

Myth 4: President Obama Promised that "If You Like Your Plan, You Can Keep Your Plan, Period"

Truth: First, Obama meant that the ACA itself did not cancel anyone’s plans. Plans were “grandfathered in” if they existed before the ACA was passed and minimum requirements were met.

Millions of people lost their plans because their insurance companies dropped them. Many of these plans didn't offer basic services. For example, 75% didn't completely cover maternity care.5 Some companies that didn’t comply with the ACA’s requirements chose to drop plans rather than change them. Even some “grandfathered in” policies were dropped. They decided it didn't make business sense to maintain a broad variety of plans at different costs.

Many employees lost their plans because their companies decided to pay the penalty. They knew their workers could find cheaper plans on the exchanges.

14 myths about the ACA

In sum, the failing of the original statement was being too definitive. If Obama had said most people will be able to keep their health care plan but there may be some mitigating circumstances (like those listed above) that make that impossible, then he would have a more accurate representation of the policy.

It is interesting that one of the biggest critics of the ACA John Coryn (R, Texas) is now recommending it in response to Covid-19:

The good news is that if you lose your employer-provided coverage, which covers about 180 million Americans, then that is a significant life event, which makes you then eligible to sign up for the Affordable Care Act — and as you know, it has a sliding scale of subsidies up to 400 percent of poverty," Cornyn told PBS Austin in an interview. Coryn further added "So that's an option for people. ... The good news is people can find, get coverage under the Affordable Care Act or via Medicaid based on their income."

Cornyn: Those who have lost employer health care can sign up for ObamaCare

Last edited:
Reactions: 1reVOLver
I'm not bright enough to figure this one out, so maybe some advocate of "gettin the country back to normal" can help me out.

Just how does a kid practice social distancing while playing basketball—often a contact sport—or football, which is a close contact sport by design?

"...and Mexico's going to pay for it!"

I'm not bright enough to figure this one out, so maybe some advocate of "gettin the country back to normal" can help me out.

Just how does a kid practice social distancing while playing basketball—often a contact sport—or football, which is a close contact sport by design?

"...and Mexico's going to pay for it!"

Well other sports leagues which have restarted-- German pro soccer, South Korean baseball, and UFC--have set the model. The system requires extensive testing and monitoring of athletes, coaches, and training staff. I watched the Bayern Munich (soccer) match this weekend and it was a bit odd because players on the bench and in their warm-ups maintained the 6 ft. spacing and a team's goal celebrations also had to maintain social distancing but of course on the field, its the normal game with plenty of close contact. So in practically, the real process is testing, keeping players sequestered during the season, and then modeling social distancing for the rest of world where you can (that latter being for show)

I am not sure how college sports are going to go about this. Testing is expensive and it is a limited resource. And travel also would many additional complications and costs. And student athletes can't be sequestered in the same way as pro athletes.

The NCAA might pony up the resources for its main $ events, football and men's basketball but will they commit those resources to secondary sports?

I am just not sure how feasible that would be. And even for Football, the implementation barriers are really significant. I would not be surprised to see a very abbreviated season for Football (at best).

Honestly, I think the more likely outcome is that we will see a major second wave, as social distancing is relaxed, and the NCAA will be forced to cancel sports in the Fall and see what happens in the Spring.

Reactions: 1reVOLver
We see most colleges opening for classes in June and closing classes in November. This seems to indicate no basketball season and so players like Davis, and KK may never play another game as a Lady Volunteer. I don't see either of them holding over to play in 2021 that seems totally unrealistic expectation. I think if they want to have a season better start thinking about July to October for all the major sport football, mens basketball and womens basketball. The games would have to be played without fans or certainly with a minimal social distanced crowd, but if were having any of these sports this year seems it would have to start soon. If the plan is to close down in November we want see any of these sports again until 2021 which is understandable, but very hard to accept as a fan.

Well other sports leagues which have restarted-- German pro soccer, South Korean baseball, and UFC--have set the model. The system requires extensive testing and monitoring of athletes, coaches, and training staff. I watched the Bayern Munich (soccer) match this weekend and it was a bit odd because players on the bench and in their warm-ups maintained the 6 ft. spacing and a team's goal celebrations also had to maintain social distancing but of course on the field, its the normal game with plenty of close contact. So in practically, the real process is testing, keeping players sequestered during the season, and then modeling social distancing for the rest of world where you can (that latter being for show)

I am not sure how college sports are going to go about this. Testing is expensive and it is a limited resource. And travel also would many additional complications and costs. And student athletes can't be sequestered in the same way as pro athletes.

The NCAA might pony up the resources for its main $ events, football and men's basketball but will they commit those resources to secondary sports?

I am just not sure how feasible that would be. And even for Football, the implementation barriers are really significant. I would not be surprised to see a very abbreviated season for Football (at best).

Honestly, I think the more likely outcome is that we will see a major second wave, as social distancing is relaxed, and the NCAA will be forced to cancel sports in the Fall and see what happens in the Spring.
I watched two German soccer matches over the weekend, and both felt like scrimmages without the fans cheering for the players and teams. I’m not entertained by hearing the sounds of players and coaches yelling at each other along with the referees. The echo of their voices in an empty stadium made it worse. I think college and pro football will be about the same dynamic without a sizable amount of fans in attendance. Boring! BTW, can you imagine what basketball games will be like if they even get to play in fanless gyms? You’ll have to turn the sound all the way down to eliminate the voices echoing but more so the sound of a bouncing basketball. Unlike professional soccer, major college and pro sports in the USA have timeouts and in football has the offense and defense trading time on the field and on the bench. How do coaches and staff manage giving instructions to their players during times when they are on the sidelines while maintaining social distancing? If the stands are empty with games played using funky rules to abide by safety protocols I likely will be doing something else this fall and winter besides watching sports.

VN Store

Back