What is the #1 trait a football player should have?

In any team sport, I think great leadership is probably the thing I would value pretty highly. If you have someone at every position group that is able to lead the others in the group and not have any diva problems then chances are you will have a close group. Usually that translates to wins. I truly believe that there are people born to be natural leaders and it’s very hard to come by.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
If killer football cliches were what won championships, then the only battle would be for 2nd place behind any Butch Jones coached team.

But to the OPs question ...
#1 Physical Ability (the more the better)
#2 Skill at Production for the position
#3 Dedicated work ethic to improve mental & physical
#4 Team character and goal orientation
#5 Courage & determination to it all
#6 Plenty of Leadership Reps (couldn't resist)

I'm assuming he already has the skill set and potential considering he's on an SEC Squad, so I'm going with a nose for the football. Speed never hurts, either.

He must be driven, to be the very best he can be, everyday, on every play. In the weight room. On the practice field. In the film room. On game day. Love the game, and love his teammates. Leave it all, on the field,

I.E. Albert Wilson, Reggie White, Will Overstreet, Peyton Manning, Joshua Dobbs, and many others.

Giving your best effort every time you wear a Tennessee uniform, regardless of the game's outcome.

Man o man was that guy some kind of coach. No telling how many coaches and players he influenced over the years. Great post.

Amen. Definition of old school. With my own boys, I’ve always balanced that steel edge of Lombardi with a quotation that the late Sen. Jesse Helms kept on the wall behind his desk. It was something his father told him when he was young:

“Son, the Lord doesn’t require that you always win, just that you always try.”

The will to compete must be high. If it's off the charts immeasurable, you get Al Wilsons and Peyton Mannings.

VN Store

Back