Oklahoma News

Their offense was top 5 their defense was top 30 at best. Our defense is probably the same level as their offense this year. Both teams return 16 starters 8/8. Problem for us is our offense vs their defense. We got slightly better last year as compared to the year before. We need a QB that can throw to the receiver in stride. I fully expect our offensive line take a leap forward and that will help out our run game. CJP will not be looking ahead to the Oklahoma game this year bc of what happened last year. And Oklahoma is breaking in a new QB. It'll be nice to see an Offensive head coach vs a Defensive head coach go at it in Norman.
No predictions on winner and loser here but I THINK we will see a lot more run game (like 60-40 at least) this year than last. If CM is cleared to play, and i suspect he will be, the OL COULD control a game from start to finish like we did in the late 90's and score/control the clock in the fourth quarter (especially against a high octane offense) . Of course not having a spring practice and a normal summer work out schedule for that bunch to really gel will probably negate that some but I fully expect the QB position to be ask less of this year than in the past. And obviously - there's always that absurd notion I could be totally wrong :confused::confused:

The hardest part about winning this game is getting Oklahoma to Participate. Wussy Coach doesn't WANT to play this game; he Knows he has a good shot at Losing to Tennessee. I think the Vols could line up and run it down their throats. Watch OKIE back out; with the Virus as the reason.
When is the last time a Tenn team has lined up and ran the ball down any teams throat? I would love to see them do it on consistent basis.

We should be able to establish a strong run game against Oklahoma's porous defense, which should relieve pressure off of JG.

If we somehow find a way to win this game at Norman, just imagine what that would do for our team's confidence going forward. This has the potential to set up an excellent season.

This is a huge game. We can't lay an egg at the beginning like we have the past couple of seasons. Pruitt has to have our guys ready to play and compete this time.

Last edited:
Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
We have 4 real teams on this year’s schedule and 8 scrub teams. Mizzou is one of the 8 scrubs. Always have been, always will be.

I’m expecting us to start treating the other 4 like scrubs.

Scrub or not. He threw for 400 on the road, and got us bowl eligible in a freezing rain/ with a broken hand. He also saved us at Kentucky on the road, which is 3 big road performances not 1.

I keep reading on this site that games are won in the trenches. With them losing a qb to graduation or whatever and losing a few receivers,
how does that affect the game if it is won in the trenches? Our offense is not the best around, we may only score 6 points.

Oklahoma is a top 5 team. We are getting a little over confident sounds like.

Stop listening to them.

The game is won on the scoreboard. And this will be a tough game to outscore OU, unless we get significantly better QB play than last season.

Let’s hope we do, because this would be a statement win for the program if they can pull it off.

Reactions: 08Vol
Always hate to see kids get injured, it's the worst part of sports. It really hurts them I feel. Pruitt and our D are going to give them major problems I think. They'll run some of the same stuff ironically as Ga St did with the only difference being that they have elite athletes and more of them than GS. We'll see if Coach Pruitt is the defensive genius many believe him to be. Our D is stacked!
Make no mistake about it, CJP is most definitely a defensive-minded genius!

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Ky, another scrub.

Still wouldn’t have won either game without him. Wouldn’t have gone to and won an exciting bowl game and have momentum, positive media coverage. We’d have a coach on the hot seat and probably be lucky to be in the top 15 in recruiting, instead of being the talk of the country. I never said he was Peyton. Just said he won MORE THAN ONE important road game. You’re overthinking it trying to win some e cred.

Still wouldn’t have won either game without him. Wouldn’t have gone to and won an exciting bowl game and have momentum, positive media coverage. We’d have a coach on the hot seat and probably be lucky to be in the top 15 in recruiting, instead of being the talk of the country. I never said he was Peyton but the dude won a couple of important ball games this year. Simple enough.
I guess in one way of looking at things, that could be true. But, he's a bottom of the tier SEC QB and there is no mistaking it! Here's what I'm getting at, are you saying he's an above average QB that went out there & won us games, or are you saying he was the best option we had and without him we would have went to a lesser option, which would have caused us to lose?

Reactions: 08Vol and Frozevol
I guess in one way of looking at things, that could be true. But, he's a bottom of the tier SEC QB and there is no mistaking it! Here's what I'm getting at, are you saying he's an above average QB that went out there & won us games, or are you saying he was the best option we had and without him we would have went to a lesser option, which would have caused us to lose?

I’m saying that he has won more than one important road game and that we would have had a worse season last year without him. I’m not saying he’s a good QB by any stretch.

Still wouldn’t have won either game without him. Wouldn’t have gone to and won an exciting bowl game and have momentum, positive media coverage. We’d have a coach on the hot seat and probably be lucky to be in the top 15 in recruiting, instead of being the talk of the country. I never said he was Peyton but the dude won a couple of important ball games this year. Simple enough.
I’m not saying he didn’t help us win. I’m not saying he didn’t have good/great games against those scrub teams.
I am saying they are scrub teams. I expect to see that type of play from our QB against the real teams. I expect JG to deliver that in 2020. When he does whether or not we win or lose will be based on the play of the rest of the team.

1 player can’t play well enough to win. Unfortunately 1 player can sure play poor enough to cost a team a solid chance of winning.

How many close games have we seen where one of our players makes a critical blunder that impacts the outcome?

How many times have we seen a round robin of blunders to snowball a game into a blowout?

I’m ready and expect to see solid play from all VFLs. 2020 will be fun to watch.

I’m not saying he didn’t help us win. I’m not saying he didn’t have good/great games against those scrub teams.
I am saying they are scrub teams. I expect to see that type of play from our QB against the real teams. I expect JG to deliver that in 2020. When he does whether or not we win or lose will be based on the play of the rest of the team.

1 player can’t play well enough to win. Unfortunately 1 player can sure play poor enough to cost a team a solid chance of winning.

How many close games have we seen where one of our players makes a critical blunder that impacts the outcome?

How many times have we seen a round robin of blunders to snowball a game into a blowout?

I’m ready and expect to see solid play from all VFLs. 2020 will be fun to watch.

Very well thought out post. Has nothing to do with my post.
It doesn’t matter that you think Missouri and Ky are scrubs. We lost to Ga State and a not very good BYU team. We HAD to have those games at the end of the season to move forward. You don’t beat Fla and GA in 20 without beating KY or Mizzou last year. And we wouldn’t have won those games without him.

Last edited:
Don't trust JG in a big road game . He's done it once at Auburn, but once in 3 years isn't a good percentage
Wins at Aub, Mizz and Ky and 2 wins vs SEC W teams. He struggled last year but he's done everything BUT win against our 3 big rivals, Pruitt as well. I think they both get over the hump wining at least 2 of our big 4. Experienced football teams win big games in the SEC and for the 1st time in a while we've got an experienced talented football team. Our 4 big opponents all are going to have to rely heavy on young inexperienced players at key spots, I believe that will be the difference in a couple of games.

Yeah but their defense was horrible last season...We have a legit shot at knocking them off in norman….We do that and the entire country takes notice....Big big game.
Depends on which QB shows up "Deer in the Headlight", "A Newbie" or "Run it Down their Throats"

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
Very well thought out post. Has nothing to do with my post.
I’m not as good at predicting alternate pasts as you are.

Who knows who else would have/might have/could have stepped up in those games if JG didn’t? I’m glad he did and helped the Vols win.

I’m not prepared to say we wouldn’t have won without him. I’m not prepared to say we wouldn’t have lost to Ga St without him either.

How are you at predicting the future?

Reactions: 08Vol
I’m not as good at predicting alternate pasts as you are.

Who knows who else would have/might have/could have stepped up in those games if JG didn’t? I’m glad he did and helped the Vols win.

I’m not prepared to say we wouldn’t have won without him. I’m not prepared to say we wouldn’t have lost to Ga St without him either.

How are you at predicting the future?

1) I can’t predict the future
2) if a QBs throws for 400 on the road and wins conference player of the week he probably won you the game
3) we lost the BYU game because of his play
4)Maurers play at KY was about as bad as Peterman in 2013 in Gainesville. We wouldn’t have won that game without JG.
5) the original poster said JG won 1 important road game
6) myself....and several others have argued that it’s at least 3
7) you keep interjecting other facts into the conversation that I never brought up....and I’m honestly not sure why we’re still arguing.

....Just for the record. Scrub or no, are you arguing that the Missouri /KY games weren’t important????

Last edited:

VN Store

Back