This Week in Recruiting.... From The Athletic

Georgia has crystal ball driver's seat (or already committed) for 8 of the top 50 players according to 247 composite. UT has 2 of the top 50 committed. 2 of GA's top 50 are Mims and Mondon. If we could get either of those 2, that would be huge for us. Even so, that means we get between 2-4 of the top 50 while GA gets 6-8 of the top 50. So I don't see it likely that we stay ahead of GA. And nobody is likely to beat out OSU for the top spot. But I think with our coaching we can compete as long as we consistently get top 10 classes (not to mention a lot of Pruitt's 3 stars are probably better than rated--yes, I think he is that good at evaluations). With a good rounded top 10 class, we can get to where we want to go in the next couple of years IMHO.:cool:

So no one seems to think we finish with a top 5 class? IMO I wouldn’t count out Coach JP to sign a #1 class. He’s kept a lot of promises so far, and if I’m not mistaken didn’t he comment once that we would sign a #1 class?

final ratings for these young folks is a long time away

guessing several will move up and some will move out to make room for improvements

top 5 class probably
Listening to AP on the Swain show yesterday he doesn’t know how much movement will be in the rankings because of lack of camps. Last seasons film is all they have that’s relevant at this point. Estimated that there will be about 30 5*s this cycle. Camps start out West and work East but because of the quarantine the camps have stopped and their is uncertainty if they will continue (I suspect they will but less attendance) and the same with HS football.

Reactions: HalfullVol
So no one seems to think we finish with a top 5 class? IMO I wouldn’t count out Coach JP to sign a #1 class. He’s kept a lot of promises so far, and if I’m not mistaken didn’t he comment once that we would sign a #1 class?
He doesn't care about service rankings, so I doubt he'd ever say that tbh.

Top 5 is possible, but #1 is nearly impossible it seems. We could fill our class with 4 straight 5*s (6 total) and we'd still be behind OSU with 25 commits vs their 17 commits. Would be good for 6th last year.

The only small, small hope we have is cutting about a third or more of the current guys and replacing with absolute monsters.

OSU has 12 guys ranked 95 or higher atm...we have 3. Their average is 5.5+ points higher than ours lol. The gap is HUGE.

This is just from memory, I am not sure where I could go to verify this, but it seems to me that in each of the last 2 years there have been 3 or 4 of JP's recruits who have moved up substantially at the end of the ratings from where they were at the beginning, some as much as 40 or 50 places and from 3 to 4 stars. While a few dropped, it seems to me they only dropped maybe 5 or 10 spots at the most. If this is in fact true, then that indicates that JP and staff are very good at identifying potential, and they have also proven to be good at player development. I think we will probably end up about 5 or 6, and with development will compete for championships in 2 to 3 years.

This is just from memory, I am not sure where I could go to verify this, but it seems to me that in each of the last 2 years there have been 3 or 4 of JP's recruits who have moved up substantially at the end of the ratings from where they were at the beginning, some as much as 40 or 50 places and from 3 to 4 stars. While a few dropped, it seems to me they only dropped maybe 5 or 10 spots at the most. If this is in fact true, then that indicates that JP and staff are very good at identifying potential, and they have also proven to be good at player development. I think we will probably end up about 5 or 6, and with development will compete for championships in 2 to 3 years.
Yeah there's been some of that. I'd also point out that they've taken a good many guys that played multiple positions on both sides of the ball... Some way out of position... The reason that matters is for some of the analysts doing evaluations those kind of kids can be difficult to project because they don't specialize in one thing...

It was a bit of a joke with me at one point that it seemed like everyone we offered was 6'2"/230..

You'd look at their film or bio and it read something like "played safety, LB, and running back. Where he projects at the next level depends on what they decide to do with him cause he had the frame to add weight and stay in the front seven. Could also play te."

Lol. And a lot of those guys got rated and stayed 3*'s....

Possible, but we've got more work to do to make that happen. 247 currently has UT at 252.71, which would be good for 15th on the 2020 rankings. The 5th place in 2020 was 295.08.

Reactions: jakez4ut
I can see a couple of 3 stars going the JC route to open up some spots. I can also see that a couple regardless of star rankings will be flipped to other schools. The same can also be said for Pruitt and Company to flip a couple of 4 star players. If we finish in the top 7 recruiting rankings that is fine with this Vol Supporter. JMO.

Reactions: nesbuddha66
I can see a couple of 3 stars going the JC route to open up some spots. I can also see that a couple regardless of star rankings will be flipped to other schools. The same can also be said for Pruitt and Company to flip a couple of 4 star players. If we finish in the top 7 recruiting rankings that is fine with this Vol Supporter. JMO.

Why would 3 stars go the junior college route? They’re gonna have plenty of other places they can go even if it’s not with the big boys

Here's where I stand... To be competitive you have to consistently be in the top 15-20 of recruiting. Plus a couple recruits per year have to be stars, and you'll need a special player every couple years. Hopefully that special player is at QB. After that it's more about development, and coaching. I feel like CJP checks most of the boxes so far.

Here's where I stand... To be competitive you have to consistently be in the top 15-20 of recruiting. Plus a couple recruits per year have to be stars, and you'll need a special player every couple years. Hopefully that special player is at QB. After that it's more about development, and coaching. I feel like CJP checks most of the boxes so far.
competitive on what level?

to get to the point we're really competing for w's wiht GA, LSU, FL, Bama etc....on any kind of regular basis we need to be recruiting at the level we are the past two years, if not better.

those programs have been stacking top 5 classes and their depth is built on that kind of talent....that's still the biggest difference between them, and most of the rest of college football...the quality of the depth.

ours is getting better.....

but all we're doing right now is closing the gap. we're not going to pass any of them up, w/out help from them.

and that's not intended to be a dig on the staff or anything, just the reality of where we are, and what we'll accomplish by getting classes like the one we're building now, and that we got last cycle.

it's crowded at the top right now. we just want to get in that group.....this is how.

Reactions: Devo182
Yeah there's been some of that. I'd also point out that they've taken a good many guys that played multiple positions on both sides of the ball... Some way out of position... The reason that matters is for some of the analysts doing evaluations those kind of kids can be difficult to project because they don't specialize in one thing...

It was a bit of a joke with me at one point that it seemed like everyone we offered was 6'2"/230..

You'd look at their film or bio and it read something like "played safety, LB, and running back. Where he projects at the next level depends on what they decide to do with him cause he had the frame to add weight and stay in the front seven. Could also play te."

Lol. And a lot of those guys got rated and stayed 3*'s....
This seems to be the Bill Belichick model as well. Take guys with versatility and mold them!

Aww yeah, we are gambling on VN now...I love it. Now you all just need a trusted 3rd party to escrow.

Reactions: The Dog
This seems to be the Bill Belichick model as well. Take guys with versatility and mold them!
true. and it's a solid strategy when you have a lot of needs and only so many bodies. gives you some flexibility in putting pcs together. especially early on in the building process.

Reactions: Devo182
I'm not either, short-term memory lost, obviously

Apparently the difference between long-term and short-term memory, also.

Seems to me it was last year, but might have been the year before. Whoever bet the house lost, but didn't pay off, as I recall.

VN Store

Back