Would Pruitt replace Saban?

Pruitt would have to win the SEC and go to a playoff game for him to be a contender at Bama.

I wouldn't worry about that happening any time soon.

Reactions: 08Vol
Here's what I said right after Mississippi State last year, and before the incredible end of the year turnaround. If you guys remember, many of the posters on here at that time last year wanted Pruitt gone for Ga STate, BYU, and the thumpings by Florida and Georgia.
Since Pruitt was hired, I was never on board, because in my mind, the best thing he could have done was to come in and year three be competing for a NC. I imagine if he had that kind of success, he would have bolted for Bama since Saban's approaching 70. But, since it's been so bad with Pruitt, and our fans have still shown up, I could imagine a similar type of outcome, should Pruitt stick around long enough to get Tennessee back to national prominence. Once he does start winning, he could have the same kind of admiration for our fans who stuck with him and showed up when times were bad. Since I know it's a ways off, I am now on board with giving Pruitt time to figure things out.

I dont buy the thanksless job argument. You throw enough money at somebody, and they really couldnt get a rat's tail about whether you are thankless later.

Last edited:
im not so sure he would want to be the next in line there if he does good here at ut. I think he stays until he thinks he can get any farther than what he can weather it be a few ncs or a few top tier bowls.

Reactions: GlockVol
yes he would take it, and it might surprise you how high he is on the list, even right now, Probably the only guy ahead of him would be Dabo. Alabama people think a lot of Jeremy Pruitt. They wouldn't even contact Smart

If he wants the Bama job, but TN is willing to match any offer, he should stay at TN, let someone be the "Saban replacement" and fail, then Pruitt should swoop in and take the Bama gig at that time. He is young enough for this to work. At that point, after they've fired the Saban replacement, the fan base and school will have a little more grounded expectations, and he can still "check the box" of coaching at this home school before he retires.

Reactions: GlockVol and A.J.
These are silly arguments. Dabo gets the first call. If he has any sense he stays put. If Pruitt is doing well, he might get the next call. If its within the next 2 years, then sure, he probably goes for $7M a year. If its 2022 and he won SECE in 2021, I am not so sure he goes anywhere. At that point, Fulmer will gladly pony up $7m a year to keep him and I think Pruitt will be "full TN" by then, its not like we are Rutgers or UCLA. He can feel the cultural pull to establish his own dynasty here like Dabo has done for Clemson.

It might be attractive to Dabo because he has already established a dynasty, whereas Pruitt has yet to prove up a first one. No sense in going after Saban. Only Dabo could do that and remain his own man because he had already proven it elsewhere first. Pruitt goes and win or fail, he gets no credit.

I think Pruitt will roll with whatever hand is dealt but is most likely to see his best interest in proving that he can create a dynasty here before going back to save the bubbas. Now if they got a lackluster replacement and after 5-6 more years, Pruitt had been dominating with 2-3 NC appearances? Maybe then just to show he too could do it anywhere - and the bubbas would be more ready for him then. As it is, Saban is a hard man to follow.

If Pruitt doesn’t want to go to ‘Bama because the standard is too high, then (a) we need to reassess the standard here, and (b) he isn’t as competitive as I thought.
I don’t think it’s the standard that’s the problem. Tennessee has the same standard as Alabama, win championships.
The difference is at Tennessee he can become a legend by getting us there again. At Alabama he’d be following the legend. He’d always be in Sabans shadow.

Usually doesn't work out well when you immediately follow a legend.

Yeah, I would not want to be that guy.

Also, I have seen no evidence yet that Tennessee is willing to really open up the checkbook for a good coach. Even if Pruitt does become the coach we all hope he is and is at a point here that he is regularly competing for championships I have my doubts UT would match the type of money Bama is paying Saban.

Just no to all of this. Why would Jeremy Pruitt be ok with failing miserably and sliding into an assistant job. You talk like the Tennessee job isn't quite the prize in its own right.

Several people have told me/posted that Pruitt wants to build his own program. How is following in Saban's footsteps a no-brainer?

Is it his dream job growing up? Don't forget what Lane did. Pruitt wouldn't do it in the same fashion but it is still possible.

He may not leave for this reason.

If Saban retires Alabama will almost certainly decline.

If Pruitt has us where we want to be then he might want to take advantage of a weakened Saban-less Alabama.

Nobody really knows... I think Pruitt is a fine coach and the article states that taking over the Bama job after Satan retires is a thankless job. You can not come out of it a winner.

This 100%. Whoever replaces Saban will not last long as HC at Bama. I think the next HC at Bama will be similar to Larry Coker at Miami at best. He may win with Saban's roster and culture for a year or two, but won't be able to maintain it. If Pruitt builds UT up and we become a title contender year after year, why would he leave UT? I think this goes for Dabo as well. Why would he leave Clemson for Bama?

Reactions: Capt Whiskey
I m fine with him leaving for Bama. After he wins a couple natties here and after UA has been through @ eleventeen failed replacements.

If he’s in the mix for HC at Bama two things would have happened:

He’s won a NC

Or

Bama has struck out with a lot of coaches and they’re a good ways down the list.

Reactions: VolinMC and hog88
If offered the job, of course he'd accept it. I don't even think that's a debatable point. He could go to Alabama, fail miserably, and still be paid handsomely for the time spent plus a buyout. Then could slide into a top assistant job again after that.

The real question is how good does Pruitt have to perform at Tennessee for Alabama to seriously consider him. I still maintain he'd probably need to win the SEC at least once for them to truly consider him. Maybe he'd still get consideration if he won the East at least once, but either way, he still would need to win something beyond just some games. I can't imagine their admin and boosters turning the keys to their program over to a guy who was just "pretty good" at another school.

If by the time Saban retires the best Pruitt has done is 8-9 regular season victories but no championships, I think he'd be way down their list.

"Of course"?

I actually think the opposite...of course he wouldn't. And not because I'm a Tennessee fan. If he were at Georgia or LSU or any other blueblood program and Bama came knocking, I think it's highly unlikely he'd leave. For the reasons stated in that link...it's a no-win situation. Why go there when you're succeeding at another high level program and you can put your own stamp on it, have a great career, and make it your own? Because you can get fired from Bama, get a buyout, then get an assistant job?

Okie dokie.

Reactions: VolForLife83
If offered the job, of course he'd accept it. I don't even think that's a debatable point. He could go to Alabama, fail miserably, and still be paid handsomely for the time spent plus a buyout. Then could slide into a top assistant job again after that.

The real question is how good does Pruitt have to perform at Tennessee for Alabama to seriously consider him. I still maintain he'd probably need to win the SEC at least once for them to truly consider him. Maybe he'd still get consideration if he won the East at least once, but either way, he still would need to win something beyond just some games. I can't imagine their admin and boosters turning the keys to their program over to a guy who was just "pretty good" at another school.

If by the time Saban retires the best Pruitt has done is 8-9 regular season victories but no championships, I think he'd be way down their list.
I think you are on to something there. But my wife often tells me that what I think is wrong

Reactions: Halph66

VN Store

Back