Will there be football in 2020?

Fauci said today that we will still be homeschooling come Fall semester for all levels of education. No students on campus means no players playing football.

Let the masses storm Washington with torches and pitchforks.

From where and at what time do the busses leave and are you providing the torches or do I need to bring my own?

Just asking for a friend.

Fauci said today that we will still be homeschooling come Fall semester for all levels of education. No students on campus means no players playing football.

Let the masses storm Washington with torches and pitchforks.
It’s not really his decision.

IF it’s safe, but in his estimation it won’t be safe without a vaccine, enough tresting, or treatment
And he was confident students would, and should, be in school. He refused to make a heavy prediction about anything, but he believes it will happen. "Safe" obviously means different things to different people. He said positives would invariably go up as we reopen, and some take that to mean we can't reopen, but that's not what he said. There will be new cases when school reopens, but that by itself is not a reason to keep them closed. And before you think I am uncaring what happens to college students, my son is a college freshman. He's not at UT, but he is at an SEC school. A friend of his who helped us is with their football team and is being told to prepare to be back in July. We had to go to campus last week to clear out his dorm room for the summer.

IF it’s safe, but in his estimation it won’t be safe without a vaccine, enough tresting, or treatment
Less than 50% of Americans got flu shots last year, and if I read the statistics correctly more than 35% of the people who died from the flu were vaccinated. So what will a vaccine really do? Will I not be permitted into TBA without a "Vaccine Badge?"
Since it appears in many area that 30+% (and that can be a wide range of +) have antibodies where less than 10% are testing positive, WHO CARES! Let's just get back to our lives.

This is why we dont let scientists (or doctors) make political decisions. No doctor would ever in good conscience advocate any course of action but the least risky (that has a lot of research behind it so he can be absolved of blame if a outcome results). In real life, there are tradeoffs to ever decision. Funding XYC program means there is less money for the ABC program, even if both are equally valuable. Same with this. Shut down the entire world if it will save but one life. Fauci is stating his risk averse position in the ideal world he lives in (guaranteed government job and no damage to his paycheck). That is not the only input, however, in most people's decision making. Reality is saving one life may cause (unwittingly) the end of another (or many others).

That is why we elect politicians, often the least intelligent but most conniving, to make those decisions. By listening to the "herd" as it were, pols are supposed to reflect the will of the people - though often they imagine their aim is to lead it. And by doing so, it uses many inputs from multiple points of view, balancing often competing interests, to come to the best outcome for the most people. That is how it is supposed to work but rarely does. In the end, however, "vox populi, vox dei". That is why the media is working so hard to sway the mind of the people.

And he was confident students would, and should, be in school. He refused to make a heavy prediction about anything, but he believes it will happen. "Safe" obviously means different things to different people. He said positives would invariably go up as we reopen, and some take that to mean we can't reopen, but that's not what he said. There will be new cases when school reopens, but that by itself is not a reason to keep them closed. And before you think I am uncaring what happens to college students, my son is a college freshman. He's not at UT, but he is at an SEC school. A friend of his who helped us is with their football team and is being told to prepare to be back in July. We had to go to campus last week to clear out his dorm room for the summer.

I’m with ya man. My middle daughter has had graduation, prom, and her senior trip taken away and I sure don’t want her freshman year at college to be done in her bedroom.

I would like to state that I do not claim to be an expert or claim to know the right decision to make. I will say that I find it disheartening that as a society but more specifically as a country we are divided.

Rand Paul quote today from Senate hearing with Dr. Fauci:

"Really the history of this when we look back will be wrong prediction after wrong prediction after wrong prediction starting with Ferguson in England. I think we ought to have a little humility in the belief we know what’s best for the economy. As much as I respect you Dr. Fauci, I don’t think you are the end all. I don’t think you are the one person that gets to make a decision. We can listen to your advice, but there are people on the other side saying there is not going to be a surge and we can safely open the economy. The facts will bear this out. But if we keep kids out of school for another year, what’s going to happen is that the poor and underprivileged kids who don’t have a parent that can teach them at home are not going to learn for a year. I think we ought to look at the Swedish model. It’s a huge mistake if we don’t open schools in the fall."

Senator Rand Paul Questions Dr. Fauci

Less than 50% of Americans got flu shots last year, and if I read the statistics correctly more than 35% of the people who died from the flu were vaccinated. So what will a vaccine really do? Will I not be permitted into TBA without a "Vaccine Badge?"
Since it appears in many area that 30+% (and that can be a wide range of +) have antibodies where less than 10% are testing positive, WHO CARES! Let's just get back to our lives.
Find me one cornavirus that has a vaccine...anyone? SARS? Nope...none....there won't be an effective vaccine for this.

Reactions: Kdbnab1 and AllVols
It's the unknown. We are not sure what this virus can do to a human body. Reports are coming in it can cause blood clots. So you may feel great, then aortic clot and die. That's the thing we don't know what it does to the body. What do you think Trey Smith should do based on this info? Think he should risk it? He's already at risk for clotting.

Also, not gonna be able to play. Listening to 102.5 and they brought up a great point. Let's say offensive lineman test positive on Tuesday. He's been hanging out with the whole offensive line for 2 days. Now Saturday rolls around and 9 AM before a 11 kickoff the whole offensive line test positive. Does that mean we have to play our second line? What if our QB is out for game day? I dont think we are thinking about possibilities that are real. No way for those gamblers to take a chance as no one will know who might not be ok to play.

Reactions: ohhbother
Novel idea here. Since no one college age or younger is dying from this or having many complications have all athletes volunteer and sign a waver to go ahead and be exposed to the virus so they can catch it, isolate for a bit, and then they have the antibodies and are immune. No more worries about some one on the team testing positive. Just like chicken pox or measles back in the day. People would purposely expose their kids to go ahead and get the virus over with.

VN Store

Back