'21 TN DB Elijah Howard (VA Tech Commit)

He’s gonna be a legit 4 by signing day. He’s a beast and I disagree he’s RB all the way imo

He's not playing RB here that is why we are recruiting multiple other guys at the position. He doesn't have the size Pruitt looks for and I don't see that blazing speed people talk about. He gets caught on runs players like LaMarcus Coker pulled away from players on. He doesn't have a great signature move or tackle breaking ability. He's a good back with solid athleticism but rated about right. His future is on defense.

I think what he means is when you look back over several years our CB's struggled mightily to make tackles especially at the LOS. They weren't particularly big nor were they sticky cover guys. It is easy to want to forget but the defense had some of the worst years in recent memory and was bad across the board.

I was trying to like this post and couldn't figure out where the like button was because I posted it. 😁

He's not playing RB here that is why we are recruiting multiple other guys at the position. He doesn't have the size Pruitt looks for and I don't see that blazing speed people talk about. He gets caught on runs players like LaMarcus Coker pulled away from players on. He doesn't have a great signature move or tackle breaking ability. He's a good back with solid athleticism but rated about right. His future is on defense.
It looks like he got 3rd place in 2019 state for 100m. 1st and 2nd place was won by a seniors. That's why people talk about him being fast. I agree he will be a DB. Watching some of the film he is atheletic and isn't scared of contact on D.

It looks like he got 3rd place in 2019 state for 100m. 1st and 2nd place was won by a seniors. That's why people talk about him being fast. I agree he will be a DB. Watching some of the film he is atheletic and isn't scared of contact on D.

Just curious who got 1st and 2nd? And what's the story on them if you know?

He was 5'11" 4 years ago.

He hasn't grown an inch since. He blossomed a tad bit to early it looks like.

Tall torso and legs are a little short, and that effects his potential going forward. Especially at DB. That's why you see him getting tracked down sometimes.

Very good high school player! But he may have reached his limit already...
Tough kid who is physical and is fast enough.

I made a mistake. Went back and looked this morning and it was Elijah Young instead of Elijah Howard.
He did not run in 2019 from what I can see on Milesplit. If you look at his running career, he has a couple of outlier pr's that were majorly wind aided, but overall he is a 10.8/10.9 guy with great starts and average top end. I've seen him run a lot and have coached guys against him in his event. He is a good technical runner and that helps his time. That 10.5 pr at UT Relays was a fluke. You will see that half the field had huge pr's that day. One of my boys Pr'd the 200 and was 0.6 better than his pr. I don't think he will get much faster. He is a corner/slot guy possibly.

Last edited:
He did not run in 2019 from what I can see on Milesplit. If you look at his running career, he has a couple of outlier pr's that were majorly wind aided, but overall he is a 10.8/10.9 guy with great starts and average top end. I've seen him run a lot and have coached guys against him in his event. He is a good technical runner and that helps his time. That 10.5 pr at UT Relays was a fluke. You will see that half the field had huge pr's that day. One of my boys Pr'd the 200 and was 0.6 better than his pr. I don't think he will get much faster. He is a corner/slot guy possibly.
To clarify, I think he has adequate speed. Not a burner, but will be a good piece to have.

Reactions: BreatheUT
He was 5'11" 4 years ago.

He hasn't grown an inch since. He blossomed a tad bit to early it looks like.

Tall torso and legs are a little short, and that effects his potential going forward. Especially at DB. That's why you see him getting tracked down sometimes.

Very good high school player! But he may have reached his limit already...
Tough kid who is physical and is fast enough.
But but guys always grow at least 6 inches in high school cause some posters in here did.

On being recruited as a DB:

At first, he definitely was. At the time he committed, that’s what he thought he was likely to play — specifically, the Star position. But then he had a big junior season on offense, so it’s entirely possible he could end up being sort of an all-purpose weapon on offense, lining up in the backfield and in the slot at times. Howard gives them some options, so I would view him as more of an athlete.
-Callahan

VN Store

Back