'21 TN OL Dietrick Pennington (Clemson commit)

I would think that having Carvin from Cordova HS as well as possibly reinstating Banks from Cordova HS should help us with this kid. Seems like Pruitt has recruited Memphis a lot better than previous UT head coaches. IDK, maybe kids don't care about that.

Give me Smith, Mims, and Pennington, and let’s ride.
AP said on swain this morning that htey'd likley consider taking 4 if the opportunity presents itself. those 3 would all be no brainers, but also mentioned the Pounds kid from NC and William Parker out of TN (formerly William Griffin)....

AP said on swain this morning that htey'd likley consider taking 4 if the opportunity presents itself. those 3 would all be no brainers, but also mentioned the Pounds kid from NC and William Parker out of TN (formerly William Griffin)....

We still have needs all over. I’m guessing the number of takes per position is fluid based on best available, especially on offense.

We still have needs all over. I’m guessing the number of takes per position is fluid based on best available, especially on offense.
i think so too, but it does seem like two areas pruitt will not be afraid to load up is DL and OL, OL especially. i was watching one of the AP/Hubbs videos yesterday and they both talked about Pruitt and Friend wanting upwards of 19 OL on the roster at any given time....attrition being what it is, the mantra is "cant ever have enough big bodies".

and they recruit so many kids that could be/are "ATHLETES" that they give themselves flexibility at some other positions on the roster like safety/nickel/LB/TE/RB etc.....

anyway, when in doubt, i think they'd go with line of scrimage players whenever they can.

I’m not the coach but I personally think you should take a full 5 every class. I think they’ll end up taking 4
Phil may have told him his philosophy on taking as many great DL as possible, and moving whoever doesn't work out to OL. And remember we got 5* transfers in Solomon and Mays.

I’m not the coach but I personally think you should take a full 5 every class. I think they’ll end up taking 4

These are numbers signed at each position that are still with the team:

2020 - 4 OL (I’d say Perry is OL all the way) + 1 LS + 1 transfer, 5 WR (I’m predicting Holliday will get a shot at QB, but will end up a great, fast WR), 0 TE, 2 RB (wouldn’t be surprised if both end up on D)

2019 - 4 OL (inc. two 5 stars), 1 WR, 2 TE, 1 RB

2018 - 3 OL, 1 WR, 1 TE, 0 RB (I think Banks is a LB if reinstated)

2017 - 3 OL, 3 WR, 1 TE, 2 RB

That’s 14 OL, 10 WR, 4 TE , and 5 RB in the last 4 classes. I feel better about the quality of OL, and believe we have more contributors there. I’m not sure how many of those WR and TE from the ‘17 and ‘18 classes will actually ever contribute. I’d say only 3 of the 5 RB signed in these classes will actually play RB for us.

Point is that there is need all over, and no one sore spot really stands out. That’s why I just don’t see them really loading up in any one spot, even one as important as OL.

2020- Perry, Mays (transfer), Robinson, Spraggins, Mays

2019- Morris, Wright, Lampley, McBride, Akporoghene

I think Pruitt is going to take 4-5 every year.

I think Perry sticks on the DL and Mays is gone after at most 2 years, if not 1. McBride also can't play.

Reactions: T Dog
Or we could take zero like Dooley
giphy.gif

2020- Perry, Mays (transfer), Robinson, Spraggins, Mays

2019- Morris, Wright, Lampley, McBride, Akporoghene

I think Pruitt is going to take 4-5 every year.
Am I the only one to think Akporoghene may end up being the best out of the 2019 OL group?

Am I the only one to think Akporoghene may end up being the best out of the 2019 OL group?
Based on what I've seen so far, yes, I think you're on an island in that belief. Not a knock on Akpo, either. Wanya and Wright are just that good and still have a ton of untapped potential. Getting to start as freshmen will pay dividends over the next two seasons.

Based on what I've seen so far, yes, I think you're on an island in that belief. Not a knock on Akpo, either. Wanya and Wright are just that good and still have a ton of untapped potential. Getting to start as freshmen will pay dividends over the next two seasons.
You’re probably right, but Akpo is so physically impressive and is still relatively new in the sport. I won’t be surprised if he’s all SEC type before he leaves

I'd say we take 4 OL. Smith is already in. I think the coaches would be ecstatic to get Mims and Pennington. After that, there's a few options out there to fill a fourth spot.

I'd say we take 4 OL. Smith is already in. I think the coaches would be ecstatic to get Mims and Pennington. After that, there's a few options out there to fill a fourth spot.
Need this big man to be on page 1 .

I would think that having Carvin from Cordova HS as well as possibly reinstating Banks from Cordova HS should help us with this kid. Seems like Pruitt has recruited Memphis a lot better than previous UT head coaches. IDK, maybe kids don't care about that.
ECS folk and Cordova folk are about as different as oil and water.

Reactions: MemphisVol14
With 10 in the last 2 classes I think 3 this year and keep a spot for the best player available after that, if it's a highly regarded OL by the staff then four. I just want us to continue getting upgrades at as many spots as possible while we are this roll.If you look at the possibilities out there and the numbers it gets rough for one class. Still need 1 S, 2-3 DL, 2OL,1-2TE and maybe 1 elite WR.Thats 8 more after Sunday when we'll be at 21 hopefully.And if we process anyone we will need 2CB's.

VN Store

Back