Wake Forest hires Steve Forbes

Well, WF just lost their best player, 7-foot Frenchman, Olivier Sarr, who has entered the transfer portal, but will give Steve Forbes a shot to win him over. He is not a grad transfer and has said sitting out is not an option, so if he doesn't receive a waiver to play immediately, he will go pro somewhere for a year to prepare for the NBA. Kentucky will probably be one of the first schools he hears from.

Reactions: Vols All Day
"jetsetted'? Yep. I though that meant sumpin else.
I used it sort of tongue-in-cheek because of the flippant nature in which Currie just boarded a plane to North Carolina and then to California without Beverly Davenport's or Joe DiPietro's knowledge or permission with no regard for cost or consequence.

Well, WF just lost their best player, 7-foot Frenchman, Olivier Sarr, who has entered the transfer portal, but will give Steve Forbes a shot to win him over. He is not a grad transfer and has said sitting out is not an option, so if he doesn't receive a waiver to play immediately, he will go pro somewhere for a year to prepare for the NBA. Kentucky will probably be one of the first schools he hears from.
I wonder if Sarr would consider transferring to Tennessee? The NCAA Board of Directors recommended against the 1 time transfer rule and he may have to sit out a season.

Reactions: Vols All Day
I wonder if Sarr would consider transferring to Tennessee? The NCAA Board of Directors recommended against the 1 time transfer rule and he may have to sit out a season.
He days sitting isn't an option, and if he isn't granted immediate eligibility, he will go overseas for a year. Not really worth it for Tennessee, who doesn't have an open spot, right now, to pursue, only to be left at the alter if he is denied immediate eligibility. That being said, he does offer immediate help at our biggest position of need. Just not viable, unfortunately.

I would like to see a renewal of the Wake Forest series in the future because CRB and his staff do so much recruiting in North Carolina.

Maybe there can be a football series at some point as well.

Reactions: StarRaider
With the transfer portal I bet it wi be sooner rather than later. Guy can coach
I think he'll be at WF like Bruce Pearl was at Tennessee and now is at Auburn but he'll probably wind up getting looked at by the NCAA if WF becomes a good team quickly. The NCAA could eventually nail WF when they should be nailing the North Carolina men's basketball program.

Reactions: sport3500
Have not heard any chatter about Schwartz or English in the mix, although I would consider both of them to be very good candidates (and hope they are). Looks like Jason Shay is the man to beat, with NMST's Chris Jans getting a lot of talk as well.

Reactions: sport3500

Which part? Lanier will be approaching Social Security age if Barnes sticks around like Coach K or a few others. 40-45 is a pretty good age that usually means they have a lot of coaching experience and are only about a generation older than the players.

Which part? Lanier will be approaching Social Security age if Barnes sticks around like Coach K or a few others. 40-45 is a pretty good age that usually means they have a lot of coaching experience and are only about a generation older than the players.
I have a feeling Coach Barnes will be around 2-3 more seasons then retire.

I mean, UT should always hire the best candidate available within reason. There are several other much more important factors to consider before age. I see your point though. Are you saying that's a big deal for you?

I mean, UT should always hire the best candidate available within reason. There are several other much more important factors to consider before age. I see your point though. Are you saying that's a big deal for you?

Whether Lanier wins or not in his current job is a far bigger factor. I like English and Schwartz, but English is in his early 30s and hasn't been coaching for very long. I want somebody that has a bit of a track record as a successful HC. Any of UT's current assistants could get that experience at ETSU.

I would like to see English or Schwartz replace Barnes when he retires.
I'd like to see Tennessee capitalize on the work Barnes has done to make this job a top-20 job and hire someone who reflects that status and level of success and commitmenr. I love Schwartz and English, but they wouldn't probably be in my top 20 of potential replacements if Barnes retired tomorrow. Tennessee is too good a program to be hiring unproven assistant coaches to be the head man.

VN Store

Back