Indoor TV for outdoor area?

allvol123

Opinions on this? I have a covered back porch. I want to put a TV out there. Will indoor TVs survive or do I need to pay the big money for an outdoor TV?

Any advice?

Opinions on this? I have a covered back porch. I want to put a TV out there. Will indoor TVs survive or do I need to pay the big money for an outdoor TV?

Any advice?
Save your money and just buy a regular TV. I have a covered open air pool house and hung a 60” cheap Vizio 8 years ago. Still perfect picture and I have never taken it down.

Save your money and just buy a regular TV. I have a covered open air pool house and hung a 60” cheap Vizio 8 years ago. Still perfect picture and I have never taken it down.

Kind of what I have been reading. By your screen name I assume you live in Madisonville. No issues with humidity or high temps?

Kind of what I have been reading. By your screen name I assume you live in Madisonville. No issues with humidity or high temps?
Yes, I live in Madisonville. No issues whatsoever. It has seen 100 degree temp days as well as below freezing.

Agree with just putting a regular flat screen outside. I have a Sony 50” that we had for 6 years inside and moved it to our covered porch 4 years ago. It still works great. I bought a cover off amazon to put over it to keep sun off it. Have never brought it in during the winter.

Reactions: GAVol and allvol123
We had one outside at our last house, and I used to bring mine in for the winter once it was clear that we wouldn't be outside watching TV for a few months. It was still in fine shape after 4 years. With prices what they are now, I'd get a model that's a step or two behind the current hottest tech for $300-500 and call it a day.

We had one outside at our last house, and I used to bring mine in for the winter once it was clear that we wouldn't be outside watching TV for a few months. It was still in fine shape after 4 years. With prices what they are now, I'd get a model that's a step or two behind the current hottest tech for $300-500 and call it a day.
Same. It was an older tv I had and I just moved mine into my garage in the winter

Any advice?

Indoor TV will do just fine as long as it’s not getting rained on. Have had one under our covered deck for 8 years now, zero issues.

Reactions: allvol123

Any advice?
I’ve got one my back porch. Zero issues with a regular TV and I live in a place with some serious heat and humidity.

One thing I would do... take a TV out on the porch and figure out what the glare is like in various places before you start putting up brackets. It’s amazing how much the picture can vary based on where light is coming from and what is reflecting from behind you when you’re watching TV outside.

Last edited:
Great thread here. I'm hanging one in my screened in porch this weekend. This seems to follow everything else I've read.

Even if a regular one does crap out after a few years it seems cheaper than buying an expensive "outdoor" model.

Reactions: Boca Vol and hog88
Great thread here. I'm hanging one in my screened in porch this weekend. This seems to follow everything else I've read.

Even if a regular one does crap out after a few years it seems cheaper than buying an expensive "outdoor" model.

Let me know anything you learn. I am probably a week or two away.

Yes. Bought a cheap 250 dollar TV for my outdoor lanai 8 years ago. Still works fine but I had to get a special plug to hook up with YouTube TV due to ancient technology.

I’ve got one my back porch. Zero issues with a regular TV and I live in a place with some serious heat and humidity.

One thing I would do... take a TV out on the porch and figure out what the glare is like in various places before you start putting up brackets. It’s amazing how much the picture can vary based on where light is coming from and what is reflecting from behind you when you’re watching TV outside.
20-something years ago, I rented a house on Pio Nono about four lots from Ingleside. The guy who owned Chen's Wok was the landlord. We kept a massive old wooden cabinet TV on the front porch. That thing probably weighed 75 pounds or more and really needed two people to carry. About once a week, I'd find that TV in the middle of the front yard where some sorry crook obviously dropped it after breaking his back trying to steal the thing. Good times.

To add to this subject. Does anyone use an internet booster/extender? All my tv viewing is via streaming. My porch is on the other side of the house where my internet originates from.

To add to this subject. Does anyone use an internet booster/extender? All my tv viewing is via streaming. My porch is on the other side of the house where my internet originates from.

EX6100 | WiFi Range Extenders | Networking | Home | NETGEAR

I bought this one two years ago. Works great. I will say, if there's anyway to get a ethernet cable from your router through the attic and down behind your outside tv I would do that.

On your original post, I can say from having boats there's no difference in the model radio/speaker/amp you would put in a car vs what you would put in a boat. The three differences in something for a boat is, it's labeled "marine", usually white, and is more expensive because of that "marine" label.

There's zero difference in specs otherwise.

I agree it’s best to buy a cheap one. Best Buy always has a Toshiba or Insignia smart set for a couple hundred bucks. Pay with the right card for an extra year of warranty. Or, at that price, the 5 year extended warranty is dirt cheap.

We have a Toshiba 50” outside and haven’t had any issues. It works particularly well for me because it has the app for my slingbox, so I didn’t need an additional cable box.

I went to a mesh system (Velop) for this reason. A router in one corner of the house and 90% of the “gadgets” were elsewhere. The mesh system has multiple nodes and passes off between them as needed.

Yes, we have a booster for a couple of our TV’s - one of which is the outside one. Have had no problems with either of them.

20-something years ago, I rented a house on Pio Nono about four lots from Ingleside. The guy who owned Chen's Wok was the landlord. We kept a massive old wooden cabinet TV on the front porch. That thing probably weighed 75 pounds or more and really needed two people to carry. About once a week, I'd find that TV in the middle of the front yard where some sorry crook obviously dropped it after breaking his back trying to steal the thing. Good times.
I know exactly where you’re talking about lol.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly

Got the Netgear Orbi mesh system and it's great.

Got the Netgear Orbi mesh system and it's great.

What was your setup time and to get all your devices working on it. I've heard the devices running on 2.4 Ghz have a little trouble versus the devices running 5 Ghz not having issues.

I have google Wifi for the house. Works great and has great coverage. Easy install too.

VN Store

Back