Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Kellie had no history at the other P-5 job and has a rich history here...also she had an unusual insertion into the other P-5 job
Totally different situations
And as such, shouldn't have brought her entire, not ready for big time staff, with her, or been told not a good udea very strongly. She better get Key or she is a goner

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Nortre Dame is still "a big name" in women's college ball....Their brand was all the talk just the year before last....Ivey is feasting off their recent sterling reputation, just as she should...

Sonia is from New York and her favorite player is Candace....But, that does not mean she wants to go play where Candace played.

Under Holly's watch, the LV brand lost a lot of national luster, just the way it is guys...Hopefully, Kellie can bring back some shine to the Lady Vol brand.
2_large.gif
Holly could recruit, Kellie, first decision, an unproven staff at major level, should zero improvement from game 1 to end of season, and many questionable coaching decisions. She has yet to prove merit to be at this level with play, keeping players under control and off campus, losing 4 star player to transfer, Collins staying should of been her first concern asap,westbrook was over fans, but greens problems and massengale are on her, and not one home run recruit. Staff not ready for this level, and just not sure she has what it takes. She needs a recruiter

And as such, shouldn't have brought her entire, not ready for big time staff, with her, or been told not a good udea very strongly. She better get Key or she is a goner

That's what's disappointing. If you're a head coach who doesn't have "it" when it comes to recruiting, you'd better hire a staff that does. If she strikes out on Key, it's time to hit the panic button on Kellie as a recruiter...

Reactions: Chitownvol1129
Please note I said NEXT CLASS, as in up and coming. I was not forgetting the “goddess” Dawn. I consider her already established as a top coach. Jeez, don’t you SC fans have somewhere to be. Although who is Scott? Kim and Vic are not on their way out but not too far removed. As we saw with Pat “the best laid plans of men and mice.”

I was just kidding lol do be so uptight.... We also don’t have anywhere to be considering we’re in a pandemic.

Not a goner,,,but definitely under a stronger magnifying glass.
Teonni is a "get" that will not be a "given"

....Collins staying should of been her first concern asap,westbrook was over fans, but greens problems and massengale are on her, and not one home run recruit. Staff not ready for this level, and just not sure she has what it takes. She needs a recruiter

I don’t know anything about Miss Collins, other than I read on this forum that she was leaving if Holly was fired as a matter of demonstrating her loyalty to Coach Warlick. Maybe this is true, maybe not. If true, why would she be priority number one? Please explain how much time and resources should have been invested in a probable losing cause?

She might indeed need a recruiter, but I sure like the one we have, and I’m willing to stay the course until we see a season or two with the players that they actually bring to campus. So far, this includes Jr. College or transfers Jaiden, Keyen; and of course, the three incoming freshmen - Marta, Destiny, and Tess. One of them struggled with multiple injuries and illness and we are yet to see the others in a single game.

And, it should be pointed out that the first Key sister wasn’t recruited by Kellie, so I’m not understanding the impending gloom and doom if we cannot sign the younger. I sure hope we do, because they’re such an impressive family in whole; but if little sister decides to go her own way, good luck and God bless her. There’s much, much more to the bigger picture than whether we get Teonni (though my fingers are still crossed).

“Green’s problems and Massengill (sp) are on her.” Really? I won’t add to what’s been said about Miss Massengill; but, do you even begin to understand what a profound, and indicting statement you’ve made about the Green situation? Unless you have intimate knowledge about this case, you should rethink that one.

Last edited:
Holly could recruit, Kellie, first decision, an unproven staff at major level, should zero improvement from game 1 to end of season, and many questionable coaching decisions. She has yet to prove merit to be at this level with play, keeping players under control and off campus, losing 4 star player to transfer, Collins staying should of been her first concern asap,westbrook was over fans, but greens problems and massengale are on her, and not one home run recruit. Staff not ready for this level, and just not sure she has what it takes. She needs a recruiter[/QUOTE]

She has a recruiter....Try and relax.
WBB_Assistant_Coach_Welcome_Lacey_Goldwire.jpg

Reactions: krichunaka
The main problem is that, the Lady Vol fan base has experienced so much success for so many years that they may now be too inpatient with Kellie. Holly was given a long rope and that does not benefit Kellie's opportunity to turn it around in a fair amount of time. I think she was a great choice.....even if she was not the most popular one. I was always wary of bringing back former players to coach their old schools team because emotions can get in the way. I hope it doesn't happen here and Kellie has already been a coach long enough to maybe get some of that emotion out of her system. She has to be given a fair chance and that should be year 3. If she increases her SEC win total each year and has good recruiting classes...then the sky is the limit. It's still more competitive now than ever though.
It’s not her coaching that scares me. As you stated, it’s her ability to get good recruits. MO State caliber players will not cut it in SEC. Who is the best recruit she’s landed?

It’s not her coaching that scares me. As you stated, it’s her ability to get good recruits. MO State caliber players will not cut it in SEC. Who is the best recruit she’s landed?
we can answer that next year, to after we see the ones form this year perform.
I predict all four willl be surprisingly appreciated once the season gets underway

No they don't have a galaxy of stars, but they show heart, IQ and I see work-ethic potential in all of them

I’m sorry, but I think Goldwire is plenty capabale. She has been an excellent recruiter and guards coach at both Iowa and Arkansas. During her stops both programs improved significantly.

I think she had a real knack for finding ACTUAL talent. Not just hyped up players from crappy AAU leagues. Good, fundamental basketball players with a good head on their shoulders.

I believe Striplin is going to surprise some people. She looks like she really has game to me. She has nice handles for her size, makes great passes in traffic and finishes plays with physicality.

I also think she and Puckett are both under-rated because they are playing on the same team and splitting stats. I would say the majority of the players in the top 100 do not have teammates also being recruited by P5 schools.

I am not blaming our slow recruiting start with Kellie on our new staff either. I kept saying in 18-19 that we had to get rid of Holly because our recruiting was about to fall off a cliff. She had been pulling all those 5 stars but we were getting worse and worse. Interest was down for 2020 and 2021 when Holly was terminated. If she had stayed we may not have even landed Salary and Darby. Almost certainly Darby wouldn’t have even been offered by Holly.

There were issues in the 19-20 recruiting cycle as well. We struck out on a lot of players we might have gotten a season or two before that. Saunders was basically a place filler and Rennie was added almost impulsively to avoid having a recruiting class of only two players.

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Per ESPN NCAA group OKs conditional player endorsements as long as the schools are not involved in the payments.

I actually think this could be really good for the Lady Vols. Even through our struggles we still have a great brand. That should be very attractive to top recruits hoping to ink a deal and earn some money off their image. We have a large fan base that would be attractive to advertisers.

I also think she and Puckett are both under-rated because they are playing on the same team and splitting stats. I would say the majority of the players in the top 100 do not have teammates also being recruited by P5 schools.
This is very false. Just about every Power 5 recruit plays with typically multiple others in AAU season.

FBC had four McDonald’s All-Americans and the fifth player, Raven Johnson will be one next year.

Darby played with Wade-Warren (Texas Tech), Hayes (Notre Dame) and Waggoner (NC State).

This is very false. Just about every Power 5 recruit plays with typically multiple others in AAU season.

FBC had four McDonald’s All-Americans and the fifth player, Raven Johnson will be one next year.

Darby played with Wade-Warren (Texas Tech), Hayes (Notre Dame) and Waggoner (NC State).

Yes, but none of those players play the same position. Their team has two great forwards competing for floor time.

Yes, but none of those players play the same position. Their team has two great forwards competing for floor time.
They actually did not compete for floor time. Striplin played mostly the five, while Puckett primarily played the four. Those two are more than capable of playing on the floor together, or else Kellie would probably not still be recruiting Puckett.

Hiring Holly seemed the perfect move at the time
we'll see

No it didn’t. This is revising history. Several people, including myself, were opposed from the start. Her “good cop” role was called into question. Fans also wondered why if she was so good why she never took a head coaching role like Mickie DeMoss when she left and lead Kentucky. Mickie is responsible for building that program (she even beat Pat) and Matthew took them even higher.

No it didn’t. This is revising history. Several people, including myself, were opposed from the start. Her “good cop” role was called into question. Fans also wondered why if she was so good why she never took a head coaching role like Mickie DeMoss when she left and lead Kentucky. Mickie is responsible for building that program (she even beat Pat) and Matthew took them even higher.

"seemed" the perfect move,,,not was

I too questioned it very early in fact, when I joined VolNation in 2016 my very first post said:

"...this program is in trouble. . . Only a step-down from HW will end it. The U isn't going to fire or force her to leave. No way... This sacrifice and gesture has to com from Holly. . . Do the right thing HW..."

I saw it much earlier than that, but had no knowledge of this website until 2016

"seemed" the perfect move,,,not was

I too questioned it very early in fact, when I joined VolNation in 2016 my very first post said:

"...this program is in trouble. . . Only a step-down from HW will end it. The U isn't going to fire or force her to leave. No way... This sacrifice and gesture has to com from Holly. . . Do the right thing HW..."

I saw it much earlier than that, but had no knowledge of this website until 2016

I was hopeful Holly would be a continuation of Pat, but she did not have the "It" factor....She is a very nice lady, but her lack of offensive knowledge was startling...She had a great sideline foot stomp, and should of had the phrase "I don't know" copyrighted...

There were too many times, whenever the camera showed the sideline coach speak, she looked so lost...After awhile, they stopped going to the sideline shot...It was too obvious she was in over her head...

Nice lady....
5b5789d542032.image.jpg

Last edited:

VN Store

Back