Muffet McGraw stepping down

Good question, that I can only answer theoretically:
Coach Kelly was a controversial hire (as many/most are). There were several here screaming from the balcony for one, then another ...then any other. Regardless of price! Meanwhile, I was ecstatic watching the magical Missouri State tournament run, while actually hoping that IF as expected, Coach Warlick were to leave, that just maybe Kellie could bring a little (or hopefully a lot) more grittiness to the Lady Vols program. So, a sentimentality laced desire on my part for our return to greatness.

It’s difficult to answer your “powder keg negotiations” reference without appearing to call out particular players - by name. I’m just not comfortable with that. HOWEVER, we can now, with some certainty, confirm that the deck was stacked against Coach Kellie (which is the case for most any new hire). She first had to scramble (negotiate seemed a more palatable word) to hold on to the four new signees - two of whom she might not have otherwise recruited. Which to me at least, is a testament to her loyalty and commitment. *BTW, I’m pleased with the FOUR of them, and admire our coach for that smart and compassionate maneuver.*

Back to the powder keg: Not counting the two, three? 2919 graduations, we have lost four other players. I knew nothing about the lady who went to Maryland, but watched the uconn transfer ..a little. She appeared very talented. A couple others, to include some who stayed were a) overrated; b) underdeveloped; 3) not fully committed.

So, here we are. We have one junior-to-be; a raw but athletically beautiful guard/wing/forward; the four already mentioned sophomores; two promising freshmen; and, so far, a single commitment for 2021. Of the three seniors, Davis is a likely All-American; Kasi can be a major contributor; likewise for Jaiden (if healthy). So, not bad, all considered. But, could any rational fan reasonably expect much more than 21-10?
Finally, the “loaded roster” comments (by those who know much more about basketball than I) is, at best, skewed. We - and Specifically, Coach Kellie - were barely hanging on throughout the season; our twenty-one wins something to actually be proud of. All this while already knowing that Zaay would be leaving?
Yes, hers was a powder keg, that with the loss of one of the two great freshmen added to the Zaay Green injury could’ve left us with a losing record.
Sorry for the prattle.
Cheers, savannahfan.

I like what you say. However I don't think it is any more of a "powder keg" than is experienced by any coach coming to a program that has been failing as ours was. To me, it is just the way it is with most any new hire trying to change the personality and attitude of a business or sports program if you like. I misread your meaning and use of the term "powder keg", to me this term references something much more ominous than what I consider the way things are in most situations like the one Kellie took over.

Reactions: Darth_Vol
Actually Coach K has stepped into the perfect situation
She is following someone who pretty mush failed in following a legend.
Arguably every year of CHW there was a spiral downward
As long as Coach K progresses she has it made
since CHW performed at the level she did
Coach K is not under so much pressure to bring immediate prominence to the program:
Top 15 finish and Sweet 16 with 23-25 wins will win over most of the masses next year
Top 5-10 25+ wins next year and E8
Top 5 and FF
Top 4 and at least a FF

And a NC somewhere within the run would solidify her hiring.
She is at Tennessee so recruiting will not be a problem in the future, even if the transfer rule changes as long as she moves forward

Ivey just signed elite PG Olivia Myles, who obviously didn't get the memo about the horrible culture at ND.

I guess she did get the memo about the horrible culture at Tennessee. Fortunately for Kellie, it appears those memos don't travel internationally...

I guess she did get the memo about the horrible culture at Tennessee. Fortunately for Kellie, it appears those memos don't travel internationally...

It doesn't and international players are great. Watch out for Australians.

And away we go.....

200.gif

Reactions: Darth_Vol
I look forward to reading your responses whenever 5-Star players transfer commit to other schools and whenever Tennessee gets 4-Star and unheralded players commits and transfers.

I like what you say. However I don't think it is any more of a "powder keg" than is experienced by any coach coming to a program that has been failing as ours was. To me, it is just the way it is with most any new hire trying to change the personality and attitude of a business or sports program if you like. I misread your meaning and use of the term "powder keg", to me this term references something much more ominous than what I consider the way things are in most situations like the one Kellie took over.

This. Very tired of this innuendo that Kellie was at a huge disadvantage inheriting a roster of malcontents... who may or may not still be there, but we're not naming names. :rolleyes: Very unfair to the current players, IMO...

I guess she did get the memo about the horrible culture at Tennessee. Fortunately for Kellie, it appears those memos don't travel internationally..

Apparently, your ability to obtain email addresses and phone numbers of recruits stops at our shores.

This. Very tired of this innuendo that Kellie was at a huge disadvantage inheriting a roster of malcontents... who may or may not still be there, but we're not naming names. :rolleyes: Very unfair to the current players, IMO...

You surely noticed even through your select reading tendencies that I clearly stated that most every hire is controversial; that Kellie’s case was not the exception, but rather the rule. I did point out that these were uncharted waters (for this program). That the situation was quite delicate (again, nothing new); that the transfers, before and after her first season were tough to negotiate; anyone could readily reach this conclusion.
I didn’t suggest a roster of malcontents, only that that first Harper coached roster, which incidentally would lose five members of a first-round elimination team ...wasn’t nearly as stacked as you have tried to have us believe.

You wanted your coach crush to come and save our beloved Lady Vols. It didn’t happen. I’m glad it didn’t happen. This doesn’t mean you have to take down posters or shred your Walz scrapbook. It’s not personal toward you, Darth; I’m simply not impressed with him.

I like what I’ve seen to date from Coach Kellie, whereas you’re determined to highlight our every one-step-back whenever we lose out on the latest mega-star; and even when we do sign (or gain a commitment) you rush to your Walz-autographed keyboard to tell the world how average she is. And, the coaching “advantage” you asserted for Kellie would otherwise be a reasonable assertion ...except for the fact that you’re now a full calendar year into minimalizing her every accomplishment, with no regard for the circumstances in which she was previously employed. And on, and on.

So, keep rolling your eyes, Darth; somehow that becomes you.

You surely noticed even through your select reading tendencies that I clearly stated that most every hire is controversial; that Kellie’s case was not the exception, but rather the rule. I did point out that these were uncharted waters (for this program). That the situation was quite delicate (again, nothing new); that the transfers, before and after her first season were tough to negotiate; anyone could readily reach this conclusion.
I didn’t suggest a roster of malcontents, only that that first Harper coached roster, which incidentally would lose five members of a first-round elimination team ...wasn’t nearly as stacked as you have tried to have us believe.

You wanted your coach crush to come and save our beloved Lady Vols. It didn’t happen. I’m glad it didn’t happen. This doesn’t mean you have to take down posters or shred your Walz scrapbook. It’s not personal toward you, Darth; I’m simply not impressed with him.

I like what I’ve seen to date from Coach Kellie, whereas you’re determined to highlight our every one-step-back whenever we lose out on the latest mega-star; and even when we do sign (or gain a commitment) you rush to your Walz-autographed keyboard to tell the world how average she is. And, the coaching “advantage” you asserted for Kellie would otherwise be a reasonable assertion ...except for the fact that you’re now a full calendar year into minimalizing her every accomplishment, with no regard for the circumstances in which she was previously employed. And on, and on.

So, keep rolling your eyes, Darth; somehow that becomes you.
I like the way u have with words Krichunaka.

I wasn't referring to anyone individually, but my "eye roll" comes from the suggestion that Ivey is at the advantage because the doesn't have to deal with the "on and off the court issues" (I don't think those were your words specifically) that Kellie is/has. But you did a lot of nice backpedaling in your diatribe there after the "powder keg that was brought to light in recent weeks." Unless my selective reading failed me?

What does Walz have to do with any of this? As I've said, you guys bring him up more often than I do. This is about Harper and Ivey, who I stated for the record (before Kellie was hired) I would have been very pleased with and that's why I'll follow her coaching career with great interest. In two days on the job, Ivey already has a more impressive recruiting win than Harper has had in over a year, does that impress you?

I like what I’ve seen to date from Coach Kellie,

When "at least she didn't lose to any bad teams" is the bar, it's really not that hard to impress.

.except for the fact that you’re now a full calendar year into minimalizing her every accomplishment, with no regard for the circumstances in which she was previously employed. And on, and on.

What has she accomplished? I give her credit for more or less meeting expectations, although I would like to have seen more improvement in the team through the season. The next elite prospect she lands will be her first. I know, I know, wait until they get here. Give Kellie time. And Walz isn't coming (still funny)...

Reactions: mcannon1

VN Store

Back