This is how NCAA may allow athletes to profit

Hopefully there is some sort of cap on this.

And can we please bring back NCAA Football now?

Hopefully there is some sort of cap on this.

And can we please bring back NCAA Football now?
I still can't believe that game just, poof, went away. I'm sure that game was a huge moneymaker for EA and the NCAA. A situation like that seems like one of those situations where it's sticky, but something creative would get worked out simply because there's a lot to lose if they don't. Instead it just went away, and everybody was like "Oh well."

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I still can't believe that game just, poof, went away. I'm sure that game was a huge moneymaker for EA and the NCAA. A situation like that seems like one of those situations where it's sticky, but something creative would get worked out simply because there's a lot to lose if they don't. Instead it just went away, and everybody was like "Oh well."
It’s unbelievable how it just went away. I think if it made its return a lot people, myself included, would pay above the normal price for it. I know it really wasn’t Ed O’Bannon’s fault, but damn if he didn’t shine a spot light on it . I hope he all the dudes that got their 3 and 4 figure checks are satisfied that they wrecked a fun thing for tone of people . I’m sure it’s much more difficult than just giving every single player represented on the 70 man roster a reasonable amount for using their likeness, but that would seem to be a start.

It’s unbelievable how it just went away. I think if it made its return a lot people, myself included, would pay above the normal price for it. I know it really wasn’t Ed O’Bannon’s fault, but damn if he didn’t shine a spot light on it . I hope he all the dudes that got their 3 and 4 figure checks are satisfied that they wrecked a fun thing for tone of people . I’m sure it’s much more difficult than just giving every single player represented on the 70 man roster a reasonable amount for using their likeness, but that would seem to be a start.
Do you remember if EA was forbidden by the court ruling from making a game that had no player likenesses? If not, then why not release a game with the real teams (they still had permission from the schools to use logos/stadiums/uniforms/etc) but with totally made up players? You know within days the online community would have had the real rosters created, which then could be downloaded and you could play with the real players. I bet a ton of people (myself included) would have still bought the game even if it had totally fake players. It seems like O'Bannon and the class action would have no play at that point, given that the real rosters would be created by random people who had no commercial use for it.

Before DLC, I remember buying the game and before playing a single snap I'd spend hours entering the real names of the 2-deep for Tennessee and every opponent Tennessee would play during the season that year so I'd have real player names instead of "QB #7."

Do you remember if EA was forbidden by the court ruling from making a game that had no player likenesses? If not, then why not release a game with the real teams (they still had permission from the schools to use logos/stadiums/uniforms/etc) but with totally made up players? You know within days the online community would have had the real rosters created, which then could be downloaded and you could play with the real players. I bet a ton of people (myself included) would have still bought the game even if it had totally fake players. It seems like O'Bannon and the class action would have no play at that point, given that the real rosters would be created by random people who had no commercial use for it.

Before DLC, I remember buying the game and before playing a single snap I'd spend hours entering the real names of the 2-deep for Tennessee and every opponent Tennessee would play during the season that year so I'd have real player names instead of "QB #7."
This is what I am thinking. Even going forward I could see this as the DLC option by EA itself.

They sell the base game with real schools but fake rosters. Then if you want you can buy the SEC pack. And then EA only has to pay out of that pot of money.

One other way EA could respond, if allowed, would be to only model the most famous players on each team. The rest become generic. That way they know they will get a return on their investment.

Some conferences and universities backed out of allowing their use after the O'Bannon lawsuit. The NCAA had some schools, but the challenges were too much. They'd just agreed to a settlement for previous players, and lost conferences and schools permission. The game would have been a shell of itself, probably wouldn't have brought in nearly the revenue, and nobody was going to risk being sued again. Too many unknowns at that point.

I agree with the suggestion of randomly generated rosters that could be edited, but they have to get schools and conferences back on board. That hasn't happened yet as far as I've seen. If they can get all the school and conferences on board again then have the initial season use randomly generated stats, numbers, names, heights, weights, and races so there can be no accusation of real player usage. Put in an editable roster function like before.

My guess is they're waiting for something to be decided on when it comes to player compensation and then get with their legal department. It's not like a professional game where they have to get permission from the sport or their players union to use player names. There are no college player unions, agents, or representation. How does one company come to agreement of compensation with thousands of separate individuals around the country that don't have representation?

A little recap..

'NCAA Football': Why video game series hasn't returned five years after last release

Some conferences and universities backed out of allowing their use after the O'Bannon lawsuit. The NCAA had some schools, but the challenges were too much. They'd just agreed to a settlement for previous players, and lost conferences and schools permission. The game would have been a shell of itself, probably wouldn't have brought in nearly the revenue, and nobody was going to risk being sued again. Too many unknowns at that point.

I agree with the suggestion of randomly generated rosters that could be edited, but they have to get schools and conferences back on board. That hasn't happened yet as far as I've seen. If they can get all the school and conferences on board again then have the initial season use randomly generated stats, numbers, names, heights, weights, and races so there can be no accusation of real player usage. Put in an editable roster function like before.

My guess is they're waiting for something to be decided on when it comes to player compensation and then get with their legal department. It's not like a professional game where they have to get permission from the sport or their players union to use player names. There are no college player unions, agents, or representation. How does one company come to agreement of compensation with thousands of separate individuals around the country that don't have representation?

A little recap..

'NCAA Football': Why video game series hasn't returned five years after last release
I get how there were unknowns surrounding player compensation, but I don't understand the fear on the part of conferences/universities of continuing to allow their logos and such to be used. The logos, unis, stadiums, etc. don't have anything to do with the likeness of any particular player. There wouldn't be any "real" players in the game anymore, even nameless players who looked like and had similar attributes to the real-life person at the position. If a game existed with real schools but totally bogus rosters, I don't see how current and ex-players would have any legal argument against such a game at that point. Honestly, I think a bunch of people still would have bought such a game provided they could download custom rosters that fans of the game made.

VN Store

Back