College Hoops Around The Country [TN opponents, RPI, others]

To be clear, it isn’t an NCAA rule, I don’t believe. It is an MLB rule. It is designed to discourage anyone from entering besides the elite players.

It is also designed to help shelter kids who leave after their junior years. It creates a scenario where some kids can easily finish up their degrees in reasonable time if professional sports doesn’t work out. Some even earn degrees in 3 years, which I suspect is the design around why that amount of time is the threshold.

From a player perspective, I guess I am fine with the idea of giving kids carte blanche with regards to the professional ranks, but in doing so, you don’t really help to address the issue as it affects college programs having to address kids leaving for the pros. You are seemingly very pro-player and pro-player rights, which I won’t fault, but it hurts college basketball and the schools to have no limitations, IMO.
I see what you're saying, and I was not aware of that exact function in the MLB. I think that's an excellent procedure, and in my perfect world, there would be guidance programs set in place by the schools or conferences to help athletes with those kinds of maneuvers.

Of course, my issue is with the professional sports organizations. As you said, it is they who have these rules in place. I think we see the weight of player rights vs. school/prof sports team's wellbeing differently, but that's ok.

I see what you're saying, and I was not aware of that exact function in the MLB. I think that's an excellent procedure, and in my perfect world, there would be guidance programs set in place by the schools or conferences to help athletes with those kinds of maneuvers.

Of course, my issue is with the professional sports organizations. As you said, it is they who have these rules in place. I think we see the weight of player rights vs. school/prof sports team's wellbeing differently, but that's ok.
Yeah, I guess what I like about it is that it offers an opportunity for free market and a bit of structure and protection for those who aren't immediately the elite of the elite. Is it perfect? Clearly, no. But it is the best solution I've seen to satisfy all parties with options.

I like the baseball model as well but with one serious change. Hs seniors would need to declare for the draft in hoops unlike baseball. Just can’t put that much pressure on the unknown of a hoops roster.
It’s bad enough in baseball

Wouldn't be the first time an idiot parent derailed their kid's career by pushing then towards a bad decision.

I think kids have a different mindset now...so many of them are already focused on the nba before they ever sign with a college. The tradition and pride that players had is no longer there. Most of these highly rated recruits are just using college as a stepping stone and would gladly skip if gleague reformed slightly.

Word out of Lexington is Haarms will not be a wildcat. Gonna be very very interesting to see how their roster shapes up over the next few months.

Word out of Lexington is Haarms will not be a wildcat. Gonna be very very interesting to see how their roster shapes up over the next few months.
Don't be surprised to see UK get involved with Marcus Santos-Silva from VCU, at some point. They haven't yet, but if Haarms goes elsewhere (I don't think that is completely dead in the water, yet), they really have no choice. MSS was VCU's leading scorer and rebounder, last season. Built like Grant Williams, 6-7 250.

Reactions: berryvol
Don't be surprised to see UK get involved with Marcus Santos-Silva from VCU, at some point. They haven't yet, but if Haarms goes elsewhere (I don't think that is completely dead in the water, yet), they really have no choice. MSS was VCU's leading scorer and rebounder, last season. Built like Grant Williams, 6-7 250.

I believe he had 22 points against us. He only averaged about 12 for the year though.

Agree. Haarms seems rather haarmless, pardon the pun. Other than being tall, he just isn't very good. MSS is actually good. Reminds me a lot of Jeronne Maymon.

Well hopefully it doesnt matter, he just announced his 6 finalists and kentucky wasnt one of them. Rupps rafters is in meltdown mode.

Reactions: cncchris33
Well hopefully it doesnt matter, he just announced his 6 finalists and kentucky wasnt one of them. Rupps rafters is in meltdown mode.
Nice. Cal is probably in extreme panic mode. Barring any other late impact transfers, and getting kids to reclassify, he will struggle to field a full roster next year. The incoming class is really good, but there is so little depth and next to no experience.

VN Store

Back