Miss State Head Coach

I mean programs (except Tennessee) keep going after him, it's almost like he's a great coach or something. 🤷 Not sure why he doesn't have the right to consider any program trying to hire him (and clearly Tennessee didn't) and I don't see any evidence he's getting more money out of from Louisville from it. Actually, looks like he's taking a paycut.

And clearly his "scam" doesn't seem to be hurting recruiting...
If I remember correctly your ongoing lament is that UT did not hire Walz. The response from numerous posters is that he likes playing the game (more money from UL and or ego stroke) and flirts with big time programs that are searching for a coach but has no intention of leaving Louisville. The MSU search is yet another example. To my knowledge the posters did not say he wasn’t a good coach or good recruiter. Most criticisms about him revolve around “recruiting “ players off of other schools teams. Questions about him revolve around ethics and would one really want him representing UT. So insinuating that you are right here because he is a good coach is once again trying to change the subject.

Perhaps EnglishBulldog speaks tongue in cheek.

No. I don't trust an unproven coach with no resume like the one we just hired. Kellie has a longer coaching lifespan than her.... an 11 seed upsetting a 3 seed and playing close against Stanford in the Elite 8 game makes me trust her more. Still, both Tennessee and Mississippi State are facing uncertain roads ahead. But my gut tells me Kellie will end up doing better.

Most criticisms about him revolve around “recruiting “ players off of other schools teams. Questions about him revolve around ethics and would one really want him representing UT. So insinuating that you are right here because he is a good coach is once again trying to change the subject.

I didn't insinuate anything. I said there is nothing unethical about listening to job offers. You are insinuating he's a cheater. As convincing as message board hearsay is, let me know when he actually gets caught for recruiting violations or some other "ethical" infraction. I guess all these schools going after him didn't get that memo from our insider expert posters here...

Reactions: olddog
No. I don't trust an unproven coach with no resume like the one we just hired. Kellie has a longer coaching lifespan than her.... an 11 seed upsetting a 3 seed and playing close against Stanford in the Elite 8 game makes me trust her more. Still, both Tennessee and Mississippi State are facing uncertain roads ahead. But my gut tells me Kellie will end up doing better.

Kellie's failure at NC State is a HUGE red flag, and her inability to gain any real recruiting traction is starting to become a concern as well. I get being disappointed over not getting Walz, but Nikki has won everywhere she's been. She might surprise you...

Kellie's failure at NC State is a HUGE red flag, and her inability to gain any real recruiting traction is starting to become a concern as well. I get being disappointed over not getting Walz, but Nikki has won everywhere she's been. She might surprise you...

Yeah, I agree with that. I think the NCState gig was just her not being a good fit for a struggling program at the time. I think she's gotten better as a coach.

And yes, I'm extremely disappointed in not getting Walz, and I felt like we defaulted to an unknown. But if Nikki wins the recruiting battle this year against Kellie, maybe we could re-evaluate our thoughts in November.

I didn't insinuate anything. I said there is nothing unethical about listening to job offers. You are insinuating he's a cheater. As convincing as message board hearsay is, let me know when he actually gets caught for recruiting violations or some other "ethical" infraction. I guess all these schools going after him didn't get that memo from our insider expert posters here...
Last comment on this before you twist yourself into a knot. UT did not miss out on Walz. Even if we wanted him, which I don’t think we did because of his role in the Gatewood transfer, he was not leaving UL. Just like he was never leaving UL to go to MSU. To keep accusing Fulmer of incompetence because he didn’t hire Walz is just wrong.
I won’t respond again on this until some other school doesn’t end up hiring Walz after he flirts with them.

Last comment on this before you twist yourself into a knot. UT did not miss out on Walz. Even if we wanted him, which I don’t think we did because of his role in the Gatewood transfer, he was not leaving UL. Just like he was never leaving UL to go to MSU. To keep accusing Fulmer of incompetence because he didn’t hire Walz is just wrong.
I won’t respond again on this until some other school doesn’t end up hiring Walz after he flirts with them.

Fulmer made the right hire

Coach K did more with less at Mizz St...She took a bunch of no-stars and competed with programs that had a galaxy.

She just went through a season of a new conference. A conference where a different coaching mindset had to be learned. She too has to learn a new coaching style and I believe she can!

From the conference she came from to the SEC she is in:
  • She can no longer hold timeouts and let her teams come back from +6 point runs consistently. In this,, the SEC, with the closer games, runs like that are game changers. She can't wait on TV timeouts to save timeouts for the end.
  • Substitute en masse, until the team is equal across the board, during the SEC run, may not work
  • The class and mentality of the athletes she has access to right now is far different from those she had. Some need reeling in, some need pushing, some need fine tuning,,but all are different!
Walz would have been a good hire, I agree. But Coach Fulmer made the decision he made and I for one a good with it. I believe in the passion, experience and heart of Kellie Jolly-Harper. I have seen it in her as a player. I have seen it in her during her NCAA run with MzSt and I will see it here!

Agreed. You guys need to understand:

1) Walz and his agent plant these stories when a potentially high paying WCBB job opens so he can a) get a raise and/or new contract and b) keeps Louisville thinking that he has that much stature in the coaching community and they’re getting a prize.

2) He was never considered at Tennessee because of shortcomings in his ethical standards. We have never been (except maybe Donnie Tyndall and Lane Kiffin) a ‘win-at-all costs’ school like Louisville or even LSU. We want to win the right way. There’s a difference between illegal and unethical, and while Walz has never been accused of breaking rules, as far as I know, he’s done several things that the UTAD would not consider as acceptable for one of our coaches.

Walz is truly the Jon Gruden of WCBB, except with their pay scale, the WNBA will not be a likely career move.

Last edited:

1) Walz and his agent plant these stories when a potentially high paying WCBB job opens so he can a) get a raise and/or new contract and b) keeps Louisville thinking that he has that much stature in the coaching community and they’re getting a prize.

2) He was never considered at Tennessee because of shortcomings in his ethical standards. We have never been (except maybe Donnie Tyndall and Lane Kiffin) a ‘win-at-all costs’ school like Louisville or even LSU. We want to win the right way. There’s a difference between illegal and unethical, and while Walz has never been accused of breaking rules, as far as I know, he’s done several things that the UTAD would not consider as acceptable for one of our coaches.

Walz is truly the Jon Gruden of WCBB, except with their pay scale, the WNBA will not be a likely career move.
What did he do?

Thanks. I'll try hard to understand. What amazes me is that Walz keeps getting away with this, the oldest AF trick in the history of coaching to nail an offseason raise. He makes it an annual event and openly jokes about it, all the way to the bank. Do we know he got a raise this time though? Surely not in the world of lockdown paycuts?

Raise this time or not, the fact Walz' name actually does come up for every major job and his employer is willing to pay big bucks to keep him does give him that much stature in coaching. Louisville as a reliable top team is the prize.
What did he do?
His main crime seems to be he was raised on the basketball bench of the Female Geno (in the eyes of old school LV fans) Brenda Frese. Who actually is still smarting from the latest slap on the wrist from NCAA and is known as an ethical go for broke.

As the other poster said, Walz himself has never been accused of anything. Whispers and implications, lots of righteous harrumphing, but nothing solid nor recent. Yet there seems to be an aura of carryover Geno-ness that surrounds him for the hardcores. General maleness, of course, is the final blow for those who believe they must still defend Pat's sport from male intrusion.

His teams have played "rough" at times in the past and I don't like that style. Still mad at that dang Shanee Shimble or whoever that was. I also don't like his shirts. Other than that he seems like a really good coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: EarlVolFan

Like I said, just @ me when the NCAA finally nails him on all these alleged misdeeds. Should be any day now...

Yeah, that could very well be the case... lol. Still, Kellie inherits a far worse situation than Nikki, so if Nikki screws this up it would be an epic failure.
EnglishBulldog, you are obviously a fake Bulldog fan!! And, not only that, you are incredibly ignorant of Nikki McCray and her multitude of significant successes in women’s basketball. Nikki is a winner in every sense of the word and on every level she has played/coached. Will there be a change in what we see on the floor with Nikki at the helm, of course. But she WILL win. She is a winner!! ON. EVERY. SINGLE. LEVEL!! Shame on you, negative Nellie. Either root for your team and show positivity or sthu!

Reactions: Will83 and gule

VN Store

Back