Barnes: Fulkerson nowhere near peak of his potential

kamoshika

1586176650523.png

As good as Fulkerson was last season — especially down the stretch — he’s just starting to scratch the surface of what Barnes has always believed he could be. Barnes said again during a recent appearance on The Erik Ainge Show (WNML radio, Knoxville) that he believed at the time that Fulkerson was the best player in a signing class that also featured two-time SEC Player of the Year and current Boston Celtic Grant Williams, All-SEC point guard and current Detroit Piston Jordan Bone, current NBA Draft prospect Jordan Bowden, Jalen Johnson and athletically freakish guard Kwe Parker.

Fulkerson was rated fifth among Tennessee’s six signees in that class, but Barnes has said several times that he believed back then that Fulkerson was the best player he signed in that class. He went even deeper on that topic on his visit with Ainge, though, suggesting other programs also believed Fulkerson was the best player the Vols added in that class.
Barnes: Vols' John Fulkerson nowhere near peak of his potential

Now back home in Kingsport and facing a situation like none before, Fulkerson is doing what he can to hone his skills. He can’t practice against other players, but he has been able to work on his offensive moves and shots. “I’m lucky to get in a certain gym and work out every day,” he said. “I’m lucky I have a trainer where we’re able to use a facility to shoot and work out.” For most players, it’s the time of year to get better and increase their workout routines. Now, Fulkerson is off campus and unable to work out with Tennessee’s strength coaches while also dealing with the state’s stay-at-home order. He is lifting weights at home with his brother.

Despite being apart from his teammates, Fulkerson said it’s important to keep the chemistry alive. The Vols have made arrangements to stay in close contact. “My teammates and I have a group chat on text message and Snapchat,” he said. “We communicate every day. I also talk to someone on the coaching staff every day. They’re always checking in and making sure everything is good. Even though we’re away from each other, we communicate every day.”
Fulkerson staying in shape, contact with teammates

I think any of us that follow Tennessee basketball could have said Fulkerson didnt play near his potential. There was a huge jump this year, when he stepped up often in games, despite being undersized in the post. I'm optimistic and cant wait to see what he brings to the table next year.

I think any of us that follow Tennessee basketball could have said Fulkerson didnt play near his potential. There was a huge jump this year, when he stepped up often in games, despite being undersized in the post. I'm optimistic and cant wait to see what he brings to the table next year.
His facing the basket game is what comes next.He supposedly has a sweet stroke shooting the 3 ball also.

I agree with Coach Barnes ...after the North Carolina game when he was a freshman I thought he had a lot of confidence and was really going to develop quickly. But obviously the injuries he suffered really set him back ...but I for one am happy that he’s starting to play like “ the man”. Wanting that ball in the low post is a sign of confidence and at the SEC level confidence can carry you a long way...especially when you’re 6’9”.

Fulkerson will be the number one option next season with Pons the 2nd option and JJJ option number 3.

Fulkerson has a very good chance of being a mid round NBA pick in the first round and Pons will most likely go early in the 2nd round.

The biggest thing that slowed him down was his erratic gestures. He picked a lot of fouls that were BS. Once the refs adjusted he quit getting in foul trouble.

Reactions: sechamp2012
The biggest thing that slowed him down was his erratic gestures. He picked a lot of fouls that were BS. Once the refs adjusted he quit getting in foul trouble.

Foul trouble was a big thing for Fulky pre SEC and his confidence was not as high. As he decided to beg & work for the ball and kept breaking his high point total. His confidence went up and Refs as they usually do will not usually call tick tack fouls on #1 option. I may be wrong but don't think he fouled out in any games. There was one outlier were at Auburn he got a lot of early tik tak fouls (first 3 minutes)that is probably because Pearl has some of the refs eating out of his palm. Pearl is a master at working the refs, bet he talked to them pre game about Fulk and they complied and let Wiley punish our inside guys.

Last edited:
Fulkerson will be the number one option next season with Pons the 2nd option and JJJ option number 3.

Fulkerson has a very good chance of being a mid round NBA pick in the first round and Pons will most likely go early in the 2nd round.

Assuming you're speaking of scoring options, I think it's possible that Bailey could be scoring option #1 or #2 and Vescovi and Springer might could be ahead of Pons. JJJ may not necessarily be a go-to scorer but he is potentially going to be an assist machine. JJJ needs to add one more element to his game to be a huge factor, whether it is as a high volume rebounder, slashing scorer, reliable outside shooter, lockdown defender, somebody that gets to the FT line often, heavy ball handler that rarely makes turnovers, or even a vocal team leader.

Next year, if he really wants it, Fulkerson could be our most productive, efficient and best offensive post player since Dale Ellis. Yes, even better offensively than 2 time player of the year Grant Williams. He has a lot of game on that end of the court and is a matchup nightmare and he has more in him. Consider the fact that he averaged 13.7 pts per game while only averaging 8.2 shots per game. If he puts up only 12 shots per game he would be close to 18 ppg which is impressive. Heck in the month of Feb he averaged 17.2 and I think he still should have hunted his shot even more.

After Fulky, I expect Springer to be #2 option. Get splash games from Vescovi, James or Pons, consistent hustle and effort pts from Anosike and hopefully a consistent perimeter threat off the bench from Bailey and K. Johnson and we are in business.

Pons can't create his own shot off the dribble, I think his production will be about the same, maybe even less as both Johnson and Springer are capable of coming in and averaging 12-15 a game. I think we'll be one of the top offensive teams in the league next year, especially if JJJ, Johnson an Springer can all create their own shots off the dribble. I don't know if it's ever been done but we could have 5 guys average 10+ next year with 2 more just shy of 10. Gonna be a special group. Kentucky is likely replacing their entire starting 5, I like our roster more than theirs at this time.

Next year, if he really wants it, Fulkerson could be our most productive, efficient and best offensive post player since Dale Ellis. Yes, even better offensively than 2 time player of the year Grant Williams. He has a lot of game on that end of the court and is a matchup nightmare and he has more in him. Consider the fact that he averaged 13.7 pts per game while only averaging 8.2 shots per game. If he puts up only 12 shots per game he would be close to 18 ppg which is impressive. Heck in the month of Feb he averaged 17.2 and I think he still should have hunted his shot even more.

After Fulky, I expect Springer to be #2 option. Get splash games from Vescovi, James or Pons, consistent hustle and effort pts from Anosike and hopefully a consistent perimeter threat off the bench from Bailey and K. Johnson and we are in business.
I'm surprised that several think Keon is going to be a bench player. He may turn out to be our best all-around player before the season is over, he's that kind of talent. I think he's a much better version of Bowden and will play Bowden type minutes. Vescovi, Anosike and Bailey will provide the bulk of the bench scoring I feel, and it could be as much as 20 points a game as our depth is going to be a problem for other teams. Just not going to be that much of a dropoff when we sub.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I'm surprised that several think Keon is going to be a bench player. He may turn out to be our best all-around player before the season is over, he's that kind of talent. I think he's a much better version of Bowden and will play Bowden type minutes. Vescovi, Anosike and Bailey will provide the bulk of the bench scoring I feel, and it could be as much as 20 points a game as our depth is going to be a problem for other teams. Just not going to be that much of a dropoff when we sub.

Johnson’s health is the only concern I have with him.

Hopefully he isn’t injury prone.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
Pons can't create his own shot off the dribble, I think his production will be about the same, maybe even less as both Johnson and Springer are capable of coming in and averaging 12-15 a game. I think we'll be one of the top offensive teams in the league next year, especially if JJJ, Johnson an Springer can all create their own shots off the dribble. I don't know if it's ever been done but we could have 5 guys average 10+ next year with 2 more just shy of 10. Gonna be a special group. Kentucky is likely replacing their entire starting 5, I like our roster more than theirs at this time.

How many true freshman last year averaged 12-15 a game?

Assuming you're speaking of scoring options, I think it's possible that Bailey could be scoring option #1 or #2 and Vescovi and Springer might could be ahead of Pons. JJJ may not necessarily be a go-to scorer but he is potentially going to be an assist machine. JJJ needs to add one more element to his game to be a huge factor, whether it is as a high volume rebounder, slashing scorer, reliable outside shooter, lockdown defender, somebody that gets to the FT line often, heavy ball handler that rarely makes turnovers, or even a vocal team leader.
So many options with this team. So many ways and players with different strengths that can do so many different things. I am most excited about having someone who can create offense and get to the hole. That brings a whole new dynamic to this team and opponents will be challenged to guard us.

Reactions: gainesvol82

VN Store

Back