Why is Bituli not projected as a 1-2 round pick???

Bituli struggles in pass coverage. Those 2 good games you mentioned were against poor QBs. I hope he gets drafted, but he will be a liability in the modern NFL. He could definitely carve out a spot on special teams.
Al Wilson struggled in pass coverage, early on. But, he improved, immensely. I'll never forget him running step for step with Marshall Faulk, and picking the pass, on Monday night football. AW was a freak! Injuries cut his possible HOF career short. In the end, he was his body's own worst enemy. He played at 110%, on every down. He knew no other way to play. DB is alot like AW. Size, speed, and arriving with evil intentions.

“Our” Chiefs need help at DB in the worst way, and other spots on D as well. Some mock drafts have them grabbing a WR in the first round, but we will see. The organization likes SEC players as well as TN players over the years, so maybe they could pick him up late
Would be great if Georgia’s D’andre Swift fell to them at #31. He’d be a great fit in that offense.

Reactions: Knox-a-rue
Just rewatched a few games from this season. Two conclusions:

1) if you're an NFL scout and Daniel Bituli isn't one of the top ILBs on your board, your an idiot.. I'd be real interested in hearing the thoughts of any GM when they compare some of the top ILB prospects to Bituli after watching the SC and KY games.....can anyone explain why he's not projected 1st round?

Legit Question: Al Wison is the greatest vol LB of my generation (born in 80'). Where is Bituli?

2) Jennings is capable of having a long NFL career.....probably with a franchise that prioritizes "football players" over 40 yd dash times....There are a few...Pittsburgh, NE, Baltimore come to mind..
There are 32 teams in the NFL and none of them are indicated that Bituli will be drafted in the first two rounds. These owners have been in business for a number of years and everyone of them have been very successful. While most of us think Bituli is a very good LB, I know I have not compared his tapes to the tapes of those who are rated higher than Bituli. If I owned a NFL team, I think I would trust my staff in the ranking of potential players. rather than posters on a college football board. If he is as good as we might think his is, he will prove it as a late round draft pick or as a undrafted signee.

Al Wilson struggled in pass coverage, early on. But, he improved, immensely. I'll never forget him running step for step with Marshall Faulk, and picking the pass, on Monday night football. AW was a freak! Injuries cut his possible HOF career short. In the end, he was his body's own worst enemy. He played at 110%, on every down. He knew no other way to play. DB is alot like AW. Size, speed, and arriving with evil intentions.

NFL teams believe they can teach how to play the pro game IF the player has the physical tools to execute.

Bituli’s problem with pass coverage is mostly caused by physical deficiencies (speed), which can’t be taught...as opposed to technique-type issues, which can be taught.

He still could make it as an UFA, if he can go to camp and show a team that he plays faster than his 40-time suggests. That part is undetermined.

Reactions: savannahfan
The NFL no longer places a super high value on the big thumper type linebackers. The rules have changed so much over the years, that you really can't have big hits / knock people out of games much. That is a good thing I suppose.

Now days, the teams want the linebackers like that R. Smith from Georgia that the Bears grabbed at # 5 in 2018(?).

He is like a big strong safety. Runs well, sure tackler, knows where the runner is going, gets off the blocks, but not a violent hitter. And, great in coverage.

Reactions: Knox-a-rue
Several 7 round mocks I've looked at don't have him drafted at all.

Just rewatched a few games from this season. Two conclusions:

1) if you're an NFL scout and Daniel Bituli isn't one of the top ILBs on your board, your an idiot.. I'd be real interested in hearing the thoughts of any GM when they compare some of the top ILB prospects to Bituli after watching the SC and KY games.....can anyone explain why he's not projected 1st round?

Legit Question: Al Wison is the greatest vol LB of my generation (born in 80'). Where is Bituli?

2) Jennings is capable of having a long NFL career.....probably with a franchise that prioritizes "football players" over 40 yd dash times....There are a few...Pittsburgh, NE, Baltimore come to mind..
GMs are so enamored with measurables. They seem to value that over production. Best of my recollection Bituli's measurables shouldn't be an issue. As cliche as it sounds, he's going to make someone sorry they passed on Him. I wouldn't be surprised if he had an Al Wilson type NFL career. The same for Jennings. Just go watch the tape on these guys.

Would be great if Georgia’s D’andre Swift fell to them at #31. He’d be a great fit in that offense.
A great fit yes. But I don't see Reid and Veach taking a running back in the first round. More likely they'll grab a CB or LB imo. We'll see. BUT - if they do decide to take Swift (or a diff RB) first, then I bet he'll be a major star.

The NFL no longer places a super high value on the big thumper type linebackers. The rules have changed so much over the years, that you really can't have big hits / knock people out of games much. That is a good thing I suppose.

Now days, the teams want the linebackers like that R. Smith from Georgia that the Bears grabbed at # 5 in 2018(?).

He is like a big strong safety. Runs well, sure tackler, knows where the runner is going, gets off the blocks, but not a violent hitter. And, great in coverage.
Exactly right. Last numbers I saw had NFL defenses playing Nickel and Dime about 70% of the snaps.

look. I like Bituli, but the Al Wilson comparisons are nuts. AW was flat out fast for a big guy.
Less so if you plop Wilson down in a different position (DE) on a vastly inferior roster and then do a scheme change in his junior season. Add on the targeting call albatross that cost Bituli some halves of games and Wilson may have set an all time record. No comparison speed wise and that’s why Al was able to flourish as a MLB in the 4-3, but the instincts and savvy manifested themselves after Bituli’s return and Toto benefitted which shows that leadership quality. I agree Wilson was better but it’s not a ridiculous comparison.

Reactions: keenobserver
As a non-five star, Bituli would not have been recruited to, much less played at, Bama. The Tide did not offer him.

If Bituli was on Alabama's football team last season, not only would he have been a starter, but he would be being talked about as a first round pick.....Watch the games..

Reactions: mercuryvol
Probably would have in 2019 because of the injuries at MLB, but not before. And he'd be headed into 2020 as a backup.

Couldn't disagree more...Dylan Moses is a better player, but there's not another LB on their roster better than DB....In fact, I guess bc they are young, their LBs as a whole were a glaring weakness...I know your a bamawriter, but let's not romanticize every Alabama player as automatically better than every Tennessee player simply bc they're on Alabama's roster...

Last edited:
Reactions: mercuryvol
Yep. A 4.84 40 and 16 bench press reps at the combine surely didn’t turn heads. He’s probably looking at trying to make a practice squad.

There are organizations that value how good of a football player the prospect is over how many times they can push 225 off themselves.....KJ Wright is considered a top 2-3 ILB in the NFL....check out his combine stats..

How does the combine measure JJs ability to drag DBs for 20 yds like a horse pulling a plow when he catches passes?

Last edited:
There are organizations that value how good of a football player the prospect is over how many times they can push 225 off themselves.....KJ Wright is considered a top 2-3 ILB in the NFL....check out his combine stats..
People always name the exception whenever somebody has a bad combine.

I’m not saying that Bituli can’t sign with somebody and maybe have a decent career. But it’s obvious why he’s not projected very high.

I’m not saying that Bituli can’t sign with somebody and maybe have a decent career. But it’s obvious why he’s not projected very high.

Yes, I do think Bituli will be drafted and play for several years in NFL.

I was trying to help explain to the guy why he's not going in Rounds 1 or 2.

I'm really not trying to be facetious. And I'm not really taking exception to your point as your probably right as to why sportswriters dont have him projected high... I'm not gonna go back and look at other top ILBs combine 40 speed as I'm sure he hes a bit slower. I cant imagine him being that much slower than guys like Hightower, Neimann, etc.....

My main point in the post is saying while 40 time is and should be a factor, dont you think most coaches and GMs put the game tape on and watch him making 20 tackles a game sideline to sideline against SEC opponents, blocking punts (even when punt block is not on), completely taking over the South Carolina game?

Well said

VN Store

Back