Why is Bituli not projected as a 1-2 round pick???

keenobserver

Just rewatched a few games from this season. Two conclusions:

1) if you're an NFL scout and Daniel Bituli isn't one of the top ILBs on your board, your an idiot.. I'd be real interested in hearing the thoughts of any GM when they compare some of the top ILB prospects to Bituli after watching the SC and KY games.....can anyone explain why he's not projected 1st round?

Legit Question: Al Wison is the greatest vol LB of my generation (born in 80'). Where is Bituli?

2) Jennings is capable of having a long NFL career.....probably with a franchise that prioritizes "football players" over 40 yd dash times....There are a few...Pittsburgh, NE, Baltimore come to mind..

Last edited:
2 games: KY and SC, 34 tackles, block punt, touchdown, game saving stop on one yd line....

There are some great players in this draft....but I'll challenge anyone to watch those games and show me a better ILB
LB’s are judged on body of work. Not two games. He will make a roster but acting like he is a top can’t miss LB is crazy.

LB’s are judged on body of work. Not two games. He will make a roster but acting like he is a top can’t miss LB is crazy.

He was injured for 3 games...to watch him in every game he played, and pretend he's not great is crazy....we won 8 games, without him, we wouldn't have been bowl elgible.....he literally made incredible/athletic plays all over the field IN CRITICAL situations for the entire season.......and let's get real, he had 12 tackles against Mizz......what is your idea of a "body of work?" Having 20 tackles every game?...there's only so many games.....he was the best and most important player on our team....Jennings is the only one that's debatable....

Last edited:
Bituli struggles in pass coverage. Those 2 good games you mentioned were against poor QBs. I hope he gets drafted, but he will be a liability in the modern NFL. He could definitely carve out a spot on special teams.

Every NFL team has at least 1 run stopping ILB on the field on every down except 3rd and long

This is his draft profile from NFL.com.

Strengths
  • Throwback linebacker's build and demeanor
  • Muscular frame with long arms and rugged playing style
  • Field alpha gets his team lined up
  • Very strong with excellent contact balance
  • Keeps pads squared through the rep
  • Heavy hands to pop blockers who approach
  • Able to leverage the gap once he's there
  • Stopping power for runners looking to test him
  • Beats on tight ends releasing into routes
Weaknesses
  • Big but slow
  • Very limited range and leverage in pursuit
  • Below-average reactive athleticism
  • Needs runs headed downhill and right at him
  • Doesn't have recognition to stay ahead of the play design
  • Gets trapped behind blocks he shouldn't
  • Content to sit and read rather than trigger to fill
  • Slides off tackles when feet stop moving
  • Wide base diminishes transitions in coverage

3rd Round? It would be a surprise if he’s drafted at all. Just about every mock and draft profile has him listed as a priority free agent.

Isnt it crazy? Completely dominating numerous SEC games as the defensive leader in what is suppose to be the best conference in CFB cant get drafted?

Reactions: rbjnet
This is his draft profile from NFL.com.

Strengths
  • Throwback linebacker's build and demeanor
  • Muscular frame with long arms and rugged playing style
  • Field alpha gets his team lined up
  • Very strong with excellent contact balance
  • Keeps pads squared through the rep
  • Heavy hands to pop blockers who approach
  • Able to leverage the gap once he's there
  • Stopping power for runners looking to test him
  • Beats on tight ends releasing into routes
Weaknesses
  • Big but slow
  • Very limited range and leverage in pursuit
  • Below-average reactive athleticism
  • Needs runs headed downhill and right at him
  • Doesn't have recognition to stay ahead of the play design
  • Gets trapped behind blocks he shouldn't
  • Content to sit and read rather than trigger to fill
  • Slides off tackles when feet stop moving
  • Wide base diminishes transitions in coverage

What would his draft projection be if he had the same season as an Alabama ILB? I think his lack of projection by sportswriters has more to do with us having not turned the corner yet......I bet NFL coaches and GMs love him..

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
3rd Round? It would be a surprise if he’s drafted at all. Just about every mock and draft profile has him listed as a priority free agent.
Position of need for the Chiefs and I want another Vol leader on our team. How often are mock drafts even near accurate? Never. 3rd would be fine with me.

He could be a pretty good 1st and 2nd down backer at the next level. I'm sure there are questions about his versatility. He's mainly a run stopper, and I'm sure he'll also get time as a special teamer. AJ Johnson had those same questions about him, but he was arguably their best player on defense by the end of last year, so you never know what could happen.

One word OP: speed

You don’t have to go any further to find the answer to your question. It is also what hurts Jennings.
Yep. A 4.84 40 and 16 bench press reps at the combine surely didn’t turn heads. He’s probably looking at trying to make a practice squad.

Last edited:
Position of need for the Chiefs and I want another Vol leader on our team. How often are mock drafts even near accurate? Never. 3rd would be fine with me.

“Our” Chiefs need help at DB in the worst way, and other spots on D as well. Some mock drafts have them grabbing a WR in the first round, but we will see. The organization likes SEC players as well as TN players over the years, so maybe they could pick him up late

Reactions: Knox-a-rue

VN Store

Back