Future of DI Athletics/Athletics Dept.

Sam I Am

My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
2. AD bugets get hammered.
3. Massive cuts to Administration staff, training, coaches, nutrition, etc.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
5. Coaches salaries will be cut by 50%-70% across the board.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

Discuss among yourselves.....

My crystal ball says:

1. NCAA football season cancelled. Massive TV contract payments to conferences go away. Season tix sales go away.
4. Each school has to eliminate 4-5 sports - minimum. (UT will kill golf, rowing and tennis) If problem is long lasting: Track and Field and Volleyball would be next.
6 The day of reckoning for the NCAA and these absurd salaries, and crazy ticket prices has arrived.

I think you’re 0 for 6

I sure hope your crystal ball is wrong. Losing an entire season of college football would be devastating for more than just the athletic departments. Cable providers, sports bars, team merchandise/apparel manufacturers and many more would all be hurting.

My crystal ball says:

The four basic food groups of college athletics. Football Baseball Basketball Track and field. Btw does your crystal ball have a sticker on the bottom saying made in China ?

My crystal ball says:

If #1 occurs, which is certainly a possibility but by no means a guarantee at this stage, #2 goes hand-in-hand while a mix of #3, #4 and #6 would likely come to fruition to an extent. Having no college football season this fall is a lot different than the skeletal seasons seen during wartime given the amount of money associated with the sport in the modern era so, ultimately, it stands to reason that you'd decimate innumerable athletics departments by failing to go ahead with the season in some capacity (I recognize what A&M's AD said about playing games without fans being a huge hit, but surely it'd be better for the coffers than no sports at all).

If by some chance this virus were to threaten winter sports and the 2021 men's basketball tournament, which seems incredibly unlikely, the NCAA would absolutely be on life support and the "day of reckoning" for collegiate athletics would assuredly be at hand. I can't say that I see #5 happening given contract structures and the amount of money flowing through the revenue sports but, then again, one might assume that the entire face of collegiate education and sports would be completely different if things are so bad as to have no athletics for another 12+ months.

The glass is all empty for you my troll friend.

The biggest giveaway was claiming Golf would go away. Because all the pour alumni would let that happen?

If the season is canceled, the AD will shrink, and then come back when the sports come back.

I'm not sure I understand the causal chain you are attempting to lay out.

Our AD operates in the black. The staff will all let go, and they will all return when the sports restart. Just like every other industry in the country.

At Tennessee, men's volleyball and crew are not funded by the athletic department so why would a shortfall there lead to the cancellation of club sports funded by student activity fees? Women's crew and volleyball, which are athletic teams, are likely shielded from cuts by Title IX

Reactions: oz615
What I don’t understand is why they pushed back the Masters. They could have gotten rid of the audience and had every staff member and golfer tested upon arrival. Fly in private or drive, which most already do, and then keep them in Augusta for 2 weeks or so. TV ratings would have been through the roof and it would have brought a sense of normalcy to calm all the chaos.

Today they closed our beaches and our waterway/river landings. I went on the boat yesterday and can’t understand the point of closing the landings. We didn’t come in contact with anyone. This is all crazy in my opinion.

My crystal ball says:

Attachments

• 6cAthdl.png
    6cAthdl.png
    240.4 KB · Views: 0
I sure hope your crystal ball is wrong. Losing an entire season of college football would be devastating for more than just the athletic departments. Cable providers, sports bars, team merchandise/apparel manufacturers and many more would all be hurting.
I do too Indy! However, the facts are the facts. If I came on here a month and half ago and told everyone that the NCAA Bball tournament would be cancelled, MLB, NBA, MLS, European Soccer, all NCAA spring sports etc...CANCELLED/POSTPONED! Well, I suppose I would have received some of the same comments as this "crystal ball" thread has garnered. There are NO safety nets for big time NCAA Athletic Departments. The "crystal ball" is a distinct possibility, and if I were an AD I would be making contingency plans ....today! Cognitive dissonance is a real thing.

Reactions: esarmstrong
First, I think that no way there's football this Fall. Predictions are for ramp down of virus in early summer, but also predictions to ramp back up in the Fall. Even with empty stadiums, there's no way schools/parents let kids even practice, and put them in harm's way. Outside of a vaccine, there's always innovation...so, who knows.

Too much money in college sports for it to fail long term. Though, I do think long term college athletics as we know it, "amateur sports" may be in trouble...but that's been the case for awhile.

My crystal ball says:

yea, none of this will happen

My crystal ball says:

I literally see none of this happening...

VN Store

Back