Favorite heavy metal bands

. Still can’t believe they gave them a Grammy over Metallica in 1989 for best metal performance lol
I remember that this was a question on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" back in it's heyday when Regis Philbin was hosting and it became such a sensation. It totally stumped the guy and I would have been the same...

Like everyone else, I would say Metallica, although their most popular album (Black Album - 1991) really wasn't heavy metal.

Mine are Iron Maiden , Metallica, Megadeth and Judas Priest
Judas Priest .... I thought they were awesome... me and a buddy got back stage passes at Starwood.... we were partying hard and then the band was coming out of their dressing rooms to head out to the stage and as they’re coming down the hall Halford grabbed some guy and started frenching him.... talk about a buzz kill..... I can still hear my friend saying wtf? The show was great but we were in disbelief the rest of the night.

Judas Priest .... I thought they were awesome... me and a buddy got back stage passes at Starwood.... we were partying hard and then the band was coming out of their dressing rooms to head out to the stage and as they’re coming down the hall Halford grabbed some guy and started frenching him.... talk about a buzz kill..... I can still hear my friend saying wtf? The show was great but we were in disbelief the rest of the night.
Keep in mind this was BEFORE he came out of the closet .....

"Heavy Metal" is a pretty general term IMO and since there are many sub-genres of metal (speed/thrash metal, prog metal, alternative metal, "classic" metal, nu metal) and in some cases "hard rock" and "grunge" can be considered metal, I tend to just lump most of my bands in a big "metal" umbrella. Some would be considered metal by most, some wouldn't and then you have bands that change over time from one category to another.

Metallica
Tool
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera
Godsmack
Korn
Mastadon
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Volbeat
Slipknot

. Zeppelin probaly more rock but think Sabbath is more heavy metal both were pioneers though.
Sabbath and Alice Cooper are the genisis of metal as a genre, to my mind.

I see Zeppelin as the line between metal and rock, at the time. They were about as hard as you could get without being metal.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979
"Heavy Metal" is a pretty general term IMO and since there are many sub-genres of metal (speed/thrash metal, prog metal, alternative metal, "classic" metal, nu metal) and in some cases "hard rock" and "grunge" can be considered metal, I tend to just lump most of my bands in a big "metal" umbrella. Some would be considered metal by most, some wouldn't and then you have bands that change over time from one category to another.

Metallica
Tool
Disturbed
Avenged Sevenfold
Slayer
Megadeth
Pantera
Godsmack
Korn
Mastadon
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Volbeat
Slipknot
Good list

Depends on what you consider Heavy Metal. I tend to think Metal originated with Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath. So for me, Zeppelin would be number one, and Sabbath would be ranked pretty high.

I'd go back a year or two and give a lot of credit to Jimi Hendrix. He pretty much took Buddy Holly's set up and used analog or transistor signal processing like the wah-wah, phase shifter, and distortion while throwing in a whammy bar, overdriving tube amps, and speed and created a heavier version of Rock and Roll. Listen to That'll be the Day by BH and then Machine Gun by Hendrix (especially about halfway in). Drums, bass, electric guitars plugged into tube amps. Listen to what Jimi did with Bob Dylan's folk songs (All Along the Watchtower, Like a Rolling Stone).

Deep Purple along with Zep and Sabbath were pioneers in the sound as well. They have songs and/or portions of songs that are heavy metal although their music is far more diverse. Even the Beatles dabbled around with it (Revolution). John Lennon especially turned up the dirty distortion (listen to the 18 bars of (1, 4, 7) McCartney to (2, 5, 8) Harrison to (3, 6, 9) Lennon trading licks in The End on side 2 of Abbey Road).

Heavy Metal "bands" focus on that element of Rock. Kind of deemphasizing the blues roots, exclude acoustic compositions and ballads, and keep the tempo fast and the amplification dirty. But even heavy metal bands will throw in some ballads. Judas Priest's Beyond the Realms of Death for example. They're all just branches coming from the same tree. Rhythm and Blues. Rock and Roll. Rock. Hard Rock. Heavy Metal. Acid Rock. Punk Rock. Thrash Metal. Speed Metal.

Reactions: BigOrangeAl 1979

VN Store

Back