Which is More Important to You, And Why.

GameTime

There is no wrong answer, just your opinion.

(1) Which is more important to you, a guard that can shoot lights out, but plays weak defense....Or, do you want a guard that plays great defense, but can't shoot worth a darn?

(2) A post that is tall, plays great defense, but has a hard time making lay ups and in close shots....Or, do you want a post that is tall, that can score down low, but her defense is sorely lacking?

(3) Do you want your coach to be more efficient in her defensive game plans, and teaches lock down defense, or do you prefer a coach that teaches lights out offense....

The logical answer is a little of each, but that is not an option.
yield-road-sign-tough-decisions-260nw-129788684.jpg

Reactions: krichunaka

(1) Which is more important to you, a guard that can shoot lights out, but plays weak defense....Or, do you want a guard that plays great defense, but can't shoot worth a darn?

(2) A post that is tall, plays great defense, but has a hard time making lay ups and in close shots....Or, do you want a post that is tall, that can score down low, but her defense is sorely lacking?

(3) Do you want your coach to be more efficient in her defensive game plans, and teaches lock down defense, or do you prefer a coach that teaches lights out offense....

Given how game is played today, here's how I'd answer

1. I'd rather have an elite shooter. You can hide a bad defender, you can't hide bad shooting.

2. I'd rather have an elite offensive player. Easier to hide poor defender than poor offensive player

3. I'd rather have a coach that can create extra opportunities on offensive end. At UT, you should be able to have enough size, length and speed where you should be decent defensively without great defensive coach. Easier to hide poor defender than poor offense.

1. Give me a lockdown defender every time. I can get four scorers, but I have to have a "closer" to take away their offensive weapon ... I don't want scoring from my guard, I want distribution. Also, with today's offensive sets (4 out 1 in) you can take advantage of a bad defender by creating switches until you get the match-up you want.

2. Give me a post that can score facing up or back to the basket...I can take a good defensive intimidator-PF and patrol the paint

3. Offense...If you overwhelm a team on the offensive end, they begin to try to counter your offensive production and rely less on their defensive prowess. This is why the "Evil Genius II" is successful, he understands that theory.

1. Give me a lockdown defender every time. I can get four scorers, but I have to have a "closer" to take away their offensive weapon ... I don't want scoring from my guard, I want distribution. Also, with today's offensive sets (4 out 1 in) you can take advantage of a bad defender by creating switches until you get the match-up you want.

2. Give me a post that can score facing up or back to the basket...I can take a good defensive intimidator-PF and patrol the paint

3. Offense...If you overwhelm a team on the offensive end, they begin to try to counter your offensive production and rely less on their defensive prowess. This is why the "Evil Genius II" is successful, he understands that theory.

I know it's the NBA but would you rather have Tony Allen in his prime or Steph Curry? That's why I answered #1 the way I did

Reactions: GameTime
Defense, that's why I never liked pro basketball. Nothing but scoring points now a days. Anybody can dunk a ball if they are tall and can jump. It takes a skilled player to play good defense. Don't know when the 3 point rule went into effect but at one time a basket was 2 points period. Most sports rules favor the offense not the defense. To me a tie game at the end of regulation play should stay that way. Never liked overtime in any sport. Baseball. Basketball. Football. I know that's not the norm but JMO.

I. Lights out shooting guard (3 pts. > 2 pts.).

2. Lock-down post defender (0 pts. < 2 pts.).

3. Defense.

"If you score a lot of points, you may win. If your opponent scores less than you, you will never lose."

~ Some Wise Person Who Knows a Few Things Because She's Seen a Few Things.

(1) I want my guards to be able to hit lots of demon balls (3 ball) and the 14 foot, and end shots....And be able to drive into the lane for the easy lay ups...They would be deadly from the free throw line too.

(2) My posts have to be able to score in close, and never miss a lay up, and be able to shoot from the top of the key too.....They also would be deadly from the free throw line too.

(3) My coach will be an offensive genius....Teach the triangle and motion offense so well, my team could not make an offensive mistake, even if they wanted to. My coach would make sure the players value every offensive possession, and treat turn overs like the Corona Virus.

With the way the games are officiated today, a strong defense is often mistakenly called as a foul, thus my shooters have a greater chance of fouling out, and the opponent has the added benefit of a needless amount of charity points...

Score and score again....Nothing breaks the spirit of the opponent more than the sound of popping nets being ripped open by an endless supply of Demon Balls.

The Demon for 3!
night-of-the-demon-1957-001-demon-00m-fal.jpg

Reactions: Bennessee01

My answers to all 3 questions YES !!!!;)

Reactions: creekdipper
Defense, that's why I never liked pro basketball. Nothing but scoring points now a days. Anybody can dunk a ball if they are tall and can jump. It takes a skilled player to play good defense. Don't know when the 3 point rule went into effect but at one time a basket was 2 points period. Most sports rules favor the offense not the defense. To me a tie game at the end of regulation play should stay that way. Never liked overtime in any sport. Baseball. Basketball. Football. I know that's not the norm but JMO.

I agree most rule changes favor offense. I disagree about overtime. I think it was Bear Bryant who said "a tie is like kissing your sister". Play it out. The only one I dislike is the farce used by college football. College should use pro format. With one change for both. Both teams get the ball on offense. (I seem to remember if the first offensive team scores a TD, game over.) High School overtime could stay or go. If it stays, use what is in place.

I agree most rule changes favor offense. I disagree about overtime. I think it was Bear Bryant who said "a tie is like kissing your sister". Play it out. The only one I dislike is the farce used by college football. College should use pro format. With one change for both. Both teams get the ball on offense. (I seem to remember if the first offensive team scores a TD, game over.) High School overtime could stay or go. If it stays, use what is in place.
Totally disagree on the Pro football overtime. I think it's horrible and the college version is suspenseful and exciting. College gives both teams a chance no matter what. Pro doesn't.

Totally disagree on the Pro football overtime. I think it's horrible and the college version is suspenseful and exciting. College gives both teams a chance no matter what. Pro doesn't.
Sorry orange, I have to agree with Savannah fan. College overtime seems Mickey mouse. If both teams keep scoring the same it could drag on forever. At least the pros get it over fairly quickly. I never heard of each team lining up on the 25 yard line. There ought to be a kickoff with a coin toss.

Reactions: savannahfan
Sorry orange, I have to agree with Savannah fan. College overtime seems Mickey mouse. If both teams keep scoring the same it could drag on forever. At least the pros get it over fairly quickly. I never heard of each team lining up on the 25 yard line. There ought to be a kickoff with a coin toss.

You play for 3 hours just to have your fate decided by a coin,,,,nope.
Battle it out,giving each team an equal chance,,ultimately a true winner will ascend

Baseball gives both a chance
Basketball gives both a chance
NFL doesn't,,, It favors the winner of a coin toss

(1) I want my guards to be able to hit lots of demon balls (3 ball) and the 14 foot, and end shots....And be able to drive into the lane for the easy lay ups...They would be deadly from the free throw line too.

(2) My posts have to be able to score in close, and never miss a lay up, and be able to shoot from the top of the key too.....They also would be deadly from the free throw line too.

(3) My coach will be an offensive genius....Teach the triangle and motion offense so well, my team could not make an offensive mistake, even if they wanted to. My coach would make sure the players value every offensive possession, and treat turn overs like the Corona Virus.

With the way the games are officiated today, a strong defense is often mistakenly called as a foul, thus my shooters have a greater chance of fouling out, and the opponent has the added benefit of a needless amount of charity points...

Score and score again....Nothing breaks the spirit of the opponent more than the sound of popping nets being ripped open by an endless supply of Demon Balls.

The Demon for 3!
night-of-the-demon-1957-001-demon-00m-fal.jpg
What a horrible picture looks like Satan himself.

Why kickoff? They are rarely relevant anymore with the new rules.

Offense wins games defense wins championships.

This is most true in the NBA. It is the team that plays the best defense at the end of the year that most often wins the championship. As good an offensive as LA, Chicago, & Golden State had their defense was also Superior.

That is a formula for success in any basketball league work on offense through this season, by virtue of getting better on offense players become better defenders, work on defense during the season as well, but out the emphasis on offense early... Then towards post-season gear it towards defense,, to win championships

I think it was Bear Bryant who said "a tie is like kissing your sister". Play it out.

No offense to Mr. Paul's sisters, but they probably didn't look like Phoebe Cates or Jessica Alba.

As for resolving basketball ties, utilize the soccer approach.

Have teams alternate half-court shots.

That or have a spelling bee to test the "student athlete" theory. That would be especially entertaining in the men's game.

Reactions: savannahfan
I would go with the shooters because even if you can't play defense most teams are going to miss half the time at least so you can out score them with people that can make shots.

Reactions: GameTime

VN Store

Back