Today I learned...

Every year that is exactly divisible by four is a leap year, except for years that are exactly divisible by 100, but these centurial years are leap years if they are exactly divisible by 400. For example, the years 1700, 1800, and 1900 are not leap years, but the years 1600 and 2000 are.
Didn’t learn this today, but it’s probably the coolest bit of obscure trivia I’ve learned recently. None of us are likely to be alive for any of the times we skip leap year, so probably a lot of people are unaware of this.

Reactions: Freak and VolNExile
Didn’t learn this today, but it’s probably the coolest bit of obscure trivia I’ve learned recently. None of us are likely to be alive for any of the times we skip leap year, so probably a lot of people are unaware of this.

Interesting. I dont recall skipping leap year in 2000.

Edit: NM... Reading comprehension failed me there.

Reactions: Wireless1
In the past 24, I've done Spanish lessons, started online blues guitar lessons, and learned how to landscape a pool with tropical-looking plants that will grow in the SE USA.

Reactions: VolNExile and Freak
Fresh squeezed apple juice doesn't taste like store bought apple juice.

Reactions: MAD
In the past 24, I've done Spanish lessons, started online blues guitar lessons, and learned how to landscape a pool with tropical-looking plants that will grow in the SE USA.
We started online Spanish lessons too! Which are you using? We're doing Rocket Spanish. And due to an accidental mis-click, I appear to be doing online German as well.
crazy.gif

Reactions: BenGrimm and MAD
I recently learned, Monday, that you could change the radio in my wife's car from the steering wheel. This has drastically changed my life, and I accidentally discovered it😄

You finally change it off "AM1980, The Official Station of the Georgia Bulldogs"?

Hope you, her, and the family are doing well

We started online Spanish lessons too! Which are you using? We're doing Rocket Spanish. And due to an accidental mis-click, I appear to be doing online German as well.
crazy.gif

Duolingo and Coffee Break Spanish podcast. Language Transfer is another fantastic option, kind of a different approach. All are free

Reactions: VolNExile
The Brits have a long history with gin.

Centuries ago, the Brits took up concocting the herb-infused distillates of the Dutch. Being Brits, they twisted their translation of the Dutch name to "gin." Their early efforts were sweet, barely palatable, sometimes poisonous. The British governments flipped back and forth from taxing the makers of these spirits and trying to quash production all together. Sometime within the last 200 years or so, a new crop of distillers in London created "dry gin." It was not sweet. The clear spirit was infused with a variety of botanicals to enhance aroma and flavor. Ingredients and quality became reliable. It found an international market, and its popularity was enhanced by the rise of mixology. Gin as we know it was born.

Earlier this week, I started reading The Game, written in 1983 by legendary Montreal Canadiens goalie Ken Dryden. In addition to recollections of why those late 70s Canadiens teams were so good, I have now learned a few curse words in Quebec French.

VN Store

Back