OU fan previews UT/OU

No doubt, we win-I'm smelling a NATY!
tenor.gif

There was a time, that OU and UT were on the same level. That is not the case, currently. I do not get offended by Young's comments. He speaks the truth. OU should beat UT, handily. But not in a blowout. We are good enough, and play a style of football, we could beat OU, or, at the very least, make it ugly, and uncomfortable. Especially with The Sooners working with a new QB, on offense. He understands match up differences. But, OU should kick the offense into overdrive and beat us.

Reactions: StuckinBama
For those selfish non-southern people that want the Vols to win and the other SEC teams to lose .... all you have to do is tune in regularly to him and see that outsiders want to take the SEC down. They want this kind of realignment to happen, these two conferences to merge (Big 12 and PAC) or pass rules to hinder the southern teams' recruiting ... all a mindset to hurt the SEC and its members. Yes, it is, truly, "us against them". Go SEC....Go Vols.

OU's offense is built on precision and timing. Teams that can disrupt the timing can have success

1. Do we have a good enough DL to disrupt? Still think the answer is No here.

2. How will COVID impact game? Without scoring practice and a truncated fall session, this may really impact precision and timing. That should help us.

3. Will fans be there? TBD

Bottom Line - I think this will be a fairly sloppy game but we wont have enough offense to quite keep up. Thinking 31-20 OU. We're getting closer to big boys but not quite there yet.
As discussed in an above threat: I like what you say and agree, but dislike the likelihood of it being correct.

Someone has to explain to me the expectations surrounding the defense

Gator - itā€™s the offseason. Itā€™s kinda like golf.... i walk off the 18th green and i remember the one drive I crushed, the 7 iron i hit to within 5 feet, and the 12 foot birdie putt i made.

I forget the 3 drives OB, the flubbed approach shot on 5, 8, and 14, and i forget the 4 times I 3-putted. And i especially forget that i shot 97

We do that sometimes in the offseason, despite reality. We hold too tight to the good and forget the bad.
The defense came around last year and played the back half of the year pretty strong - we hold onto that. We are losing best DB and best LB and best pass rusher. We forget that. We cling to the hope that CJP is a great defensive mind due to the ending of the year, but we forget that he was still the coach when we couldnā€™t line up and couldnā€™t avoid giving up a 90 yard drive in the last 20 seconds of a game.

We will be better, just not as much as most of us hope.
But youā€™re right, the love the D is getting is premature

I think JP's D will be there to contain OU enough, not totally stop them but keep them around 21 points. The Q in my opinion will be, will our O be able to generate TD's from the red zone vs FG tries. If TO's are equal & it's a normal game no pick 6's & no kick returns for TD it will come down to whether our Offense had matured enough to be consistent thru the totality of the game. and finish.
Iā€™d put the likelyhood or holding OU to below 28 to be very low. This is probably OUs best all-around team since 2017 and they have Grinch instead of Stoops (major upgrade). OU has scored 30 points or more in 59/67 games since Riley arrived.

Iā€™d put the likelyhood or holding OU to below 28 to be very low. This is probably OUs best all-around team since 2017 and they have Grinch instead of Stoops (major upgrade). OU has scored 30 points or more in 59/67 games since Riley arrived.

Well I agree with you to a point but you are playing in a offense orientated conference and you played Houston & UCLA South Dakota OOC all no respectable D's.
You played LSU the score was 49 to 14 at the half and they coasted the second half you scored 7 in the 3rd & 4th quarter, lost 63 to 28 garbage time points IMO.
UT will have one of the top 4 D's in the SEC next year, different animal. I will say if our QB situation is doing a lot of 4 & outs you will be right the D will wear down the 2nd half and the score will go up. That's what I'm talking about the maturation of our O is the deciding factor and how good our QB is and how good OU's new QB is early in the season. Still a lot of if and & buts this time of season.

Idk that I would call RJ Young an ā€œidiotā€. He didnā€™t make it to his level of respect by not knowing what heā€™s talking about.

OK how bout buffoon then, or are you telling me Bailey is not worthy of a 5* rating?

Well I agree with you to a point but you are playing in a offense orientated conference and you played Houston & UCLA South Dakota OOC all no respectable D's.
You played LSU the score was 49 to 14 at the half and they coasted the second half you scored 7 in the 3rd & 4th quarter, lost 63 to 28 garbage time points IMO.
UT will have one of the top 4 D's in the SEC next year, different animal. I will say if our QB situation is doing a lot of 4 & outs you will be right the D will wear down the 2nd half and the score will go up. That's what I'm talking about the maturation of our O is the deciding factor and how good our QB is and how good OU's new QB is early in the season. Still a lot of if and & buts this time of season.
OU was in the first year of the Grinch installed one gap scheme playing with players recruited to another scheme. We had 5 starters out vs LSU with little to no depth. Having said this, had we been at full strength we would have still lost but by a score similar to Clemson. LSU was a generational team.

Beating OU would be very good for the program. The 2020 Vol offense MUST move the ball and score points much better against the better teams than they did last year. In a shoot out vs OU we lose big. Time for Chaney to earn that big check.

We have been down so far for so long we celebrate beating Vandy. Still a long long way from being competitive in the conference. Hanging our hopes on a freshman QB that has not had a practice yet is not wise.

Pumpers flame away.

This team will go as far as JG takes them and he struggles mightily when teams play zone coverages and mix it up against him.

He has been much more effective against teams that play mostly man coverage against UTā€™s big WRā€™s that he can just chuck it up to and hope they go and get the ball. Unfortunately, the two best WRā€™s from last season must be replaced.

The scouting report on JG is simply show him zone coverages and watch him throw it to the other team, and just get enough pressure on him and he will dump it down for a 1 yard gain.

Unless, the Vols get a new QB itā€™s going to be very difficult to get 7 or more wins and beating anyone of significance, such as, OU is very unlikely.

Someone has to explain to me the expectations surrounding the defense

Probably have the 2nd or 3rd best defense in the conference. Top 15 defense...along with UGA, UF, Bama, and LSU.

Bama will not be #1. That's UGA. UT in Jeremy Pruitt's 3rd year should be formidable.

Reactions: RockyTopTexas
I donā€™t think we lost our best DB imo but thatā€™s just preference

Bryce has been our best DB since his freshman season imo, even though Warrior had a big turnaround.

Vol fans give this OU team way too much respect because they are OU. OU wouldn't have made the SEC Championship had they been in our conference last year.

They don't have a transfer savior QB to save them this season. Rattler is another JG...

Their defense won't be able to stop our offense once we get consistency running and throwing from the QB spot.

Our defense will cause Lincoln Riley all kinds of problems, just like the LSU Semifinal Playoff game.

Bryce has been our best DB since his freshman season imo, even though Warrior had a big turnaround.

Vol fans give this OU team way too much respect because they are OU. OU wouldn't have made the SEC Championship had they been in our conference last year.

They don't have a transfer savior QB to save them this season. Rattler is another JG...

Their defense won't be able to stop our offense once we get consistency running and throwing from the QB spot.

Our defense will cause Lincoln Riley all kinds of problems, just like the LSU Semifinal Playoff game.
I agree. ā€œOnce we get consistentlyā€ is big tho

VN Store

Back