What sports moment broke your heart the worst?

Tennessee Vols Football: 2001 SECCG and 1999 Arkansas game
Atlanta Falcons: 1978 and 1980 NFC Playoffs against the Dallas Cowboys and the Super Bowls against the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots
Atlanta Braves: 1991 World Series against the Minnesota Twins and 1996 World Series against the New York Yankees

This is mine
2016 Texas A&M 2 OT loss
Dobbs interception ends the game

This one actually didn’t bother me as much as it should have. We were on Kyle Field against #8, College Gameday, and it took us 7 turnovers to lose in 2OT. This was exactly what a Top 10 matchup should have been, and I walked away from that loss knowing we were the better team.

2015 Florida hit me really hard. We had that game in the bag, the streak was over, Butch went from my hero to the guy that will never win here in 1 quarter.

Jerry Colquitt tearing up his knee against UCLA in our second series after waiting all those years to play.

The 1990 34-29 loss to Notre Dame where we staged a magnificent comeback, but came up a little short. Even though we lost it's still one of the greatest football games I've ever witnessed, the amount of talent on the field that day was just unbelievable ! It still to this day ranks near the very top of the list for loudest games I've ever been to at Neyland Stadium (and that was before the upper deck expansion), when we recovered the onside kick I thought the Stadium was going to collapse it was so loud. Then the great interception they made to end it was probably as gut wrenching play as I've ever witnessed, it was like all the TN fans collectively sighed and ate 10 Valiums apiece at once. Heartbreaking loss, but what a game !

As a young kid in junior high, the only time I have ever cried when a sports team of mine lost was when Ken Stabler through that wounded duck pass in the back of the end zone to Clarence Davis to beat my Miami Dolphins in the AFC playoffs in 1974. Final Score 28-27, IIRC.
football-afc-championship-oakland-raiders-clarence-davis-in-action-picture-id108324081

September 9, 2006. With my son in Neyland Stadium when Inky Johnson was injured while playing against Air Force. At the time, none of knew the gravity of the situation. Thankfully, he recovered enough to share his story & inspire us today with his courage.

Jerry Colquitt tearing up his knee against UCLA in our second series after waiting all those years to play.

The 1990 34-29 loss to Notre Dame where we staged a magnificent comeback, but came up a little short. Even though we lost it's still one of the greatest football games I've ever witnessed, the amount of talent on the field that day was just unbelievable ! It still to this day ranks near the very top of the list for loudest games I've ever been to at Neyland Stadium (and that was before the upper deck expansion), when we recovered the onside kick I thought the Stadium was going to collapse it was so loud. Then the great interception they made to end it was probably as gut wrenching play as I've ever witnessed, it was like all the TN fans collectively sighed and ate 10 Valiums apiece at once. Heartbreaking loss, but what a game !
I agree the talent on the roster of both teams on both sides of the ball was unreal. I was there also. Thought when we got the on sides kick the Vols where going to pull it off. Great game to be at one of the best I ever witness.

As a young kid in junior high, the only time I have ever cried when a sports team of mine lost was when Ken Stabler through that wounded duck pass in the back of the end zone to Clarence Davis to beat my Miami Dolphins in the AFC playoffs in 1974. Final Score 28-27, IIRC.
football-afc-championship-oakland-raiders-clarence-davis-in-action-picture-id108324081

What about the Miami vs San Diego game in 82?

Reactions: MAD
2001 SECCG. Hands down. I have other teams in other sports, but (like most on here) nothing comes close to the emotional investment I have in Tennessee football. That was the most costly and gut-wrenching loss in my lifetime, especially considering we had the better team.

2-2 count and 5 outs away from going up 3-0 in the 96 World Series...

I refuse to post videos of Alabama blocking game winning FGs in 90 and 09 or the Hobnail Boot play.

This was a real heartbreaker because if Tennessee won this game they probably would have been in the Championship Game for the 2nd straight year.

Tennessee Vols Football: 2001 SECCG and 1999 Arkansas game
Atlanta Falcons: 1978 and 1980 NFC Playoffs against the Dallas Cowboys and the Super Bowls against the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots
Atlanta Braves: 1991 World Series against the Minnesota Twins and 1996 World Series against the New York Yankees
I gotta go with these,those Falcon games are what made me not like the Cowboys.

The 9-6 loss to AL in '90.

Just the way it went down. Ranked #3 and lining up for the go-ahead FG with under 2 mins to go. It was such a defensive struggle there was no chance AL was going to make it into FG range for the tie. Even if TN missed the kick it wouldn't be a loss but to have it blocked back into AL territory, close enough for them to kick the game-winner, then doing so with only seconds left.......

I think that game broke me as a fan.

VN Store

Back