15 years ago yesterday Pat Summitt...

It strikes me oddly that a person who operated and displayed such grace, has so many fans who find it near impossible to do the same. Cmon, quit trashing other successful people. You can do better! Pat would have, I have no doubt.

Reactions: Dube and T_Vol376
It strikes me oddly that a person who operated and displayed such grace, has so many fans who find it near impossible to do the same. Cmon, quit trashing other successful people. You can do better! Pat would have, I have no doubt.

It strikes me odd that you don't recall Pat's "relationship" with the evil genius II

The victory total is incredible, but you get the truest jaw-dropping effect when you start dissecting the schedules over the years and measuring her wins and losses against the competition. She scheduled to make her teams better. Some coaches took scheduling risks only after their teams’ personnel got better.

Summitt turned the SEC into the juggernaut conference. She perennially assembled the toughest OOC schedules in the nation. She never had the luxury of amassing many of her victories in a soft conference such as the AAC or the Big East. Toss In the numerous questionable NCAA postseason brackets she had to navigate her team through.....All while setting the highest standards for herself and her teams and raising the bar for the rest in the game.

All this accomplished through many years of groundbreaking accompanied with little exposure and notoriety all the way to being the number one target in the women’s game after ESPN checked in. Summitt’s numbers are staggering, credible, and more meaningful.

Last edited:
The victory total is incredible, but you get the truest jaw-dropping effect when you start dissecting the schedules over the years and measuring her wins and losses against the competition. She scheduled to make her teams better. Some coaches took scheduling risks only after their teams’ personnel got better.

Summitt turned the SEC into the juggernaut conference. She perennially assembled the toughest OOC schedules in the nation. She never had the luxury of amassing many of her victories in a soft conference such as the AAC or the Big East. Toss In the numerous questionable NCAA postseason brackets she had to navigate her team through.....All while setting the highest standards for herself and her teams and raising the bar for the rest in the game.

All this accomplished through many years of groundbreaking accompanied with little exposure and notoriety all the way to being the number one target in the women’s game after ESPN checked in. Summitt’s numbers are staggering, credible, and more meaningful.

This x 1000. This is something that is unrivaled. Those coaches approaching Pat's record will not have the long-term strength of schedule to actually compete with the quality of her record.

Not saying he does not win....just that it is a lot easier to rack up wins in his conference. Yes, he does play a better OOC schedule than he used to.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
What big time team has Pat not played multiple times ever? And beaten like dogs!

Therein lies a difference.

One undefeated season vs several. Hundred game winning streak.... yea, poor ole gee no just ain’t no account.

I will never be a negavol. I just call a spade a spade. Calling PS the GoAT when direct evidence would prove otherwise is just being dishonest and pig-headed. She was great, no doubt about it but gee no has been, is, and will forever be better than she at winning. Which is the ultimate barometer not wether she or he was nicer or not.

PS2. He scheduled UT every year until she copped out. Was that soft scheduling?

When you ignore the meat of the schedules through the years and Summitt‘s incomparable integrity through the years while groundbreaking, ascending, and sustaining, you are the one being ”dishonest“ and “pigheaded”. And when you coronate any coach as GOAT for wins alone is being “light-headed”. And in any given year, UT was not the only national contender missing from the CT schedules.

But it was never Summitt’s objective to amass the most victories or be crowned the GOAT. That’s her redeeming quality and what elevates her over Auriemma IMO. Of course, it will be disputed forever. You align with ESPN and much of the bandwagon media. I don’t. And surely you are in the minority on this board.

I will never be a negavol. I just call a spade a spade. Calling PS the GoAT when direct evidence would prove otherwise is just being dishonest and pig-headed. She was great, no doubt about it but gee no has been, is, and will forever be better than she at winning. Which is the ultimate barometer not wether she or he was nicer or not.

You're there with this rant g
pure ol negavol
You're not listening to logic (The weaker conference for the meat of his wins) and staying stout against a lady who inspired my very coaching life.

I respect Geno as a winner, but not as the goat

Michael Jordan's records will someday be broken, but he will always be the GOAT to those who saw him and saw what he did when he did it. Same with Pat!

We are on opposite side of the court gule.
Welcome to the negavol hall of fame

I owe all the honor for this Negavol hof selection to my unvarnished integrity. TYVM

Reactions: glv98
Its often said Pat is Naismith and Geno is Wooden. While Pat didn't actually invent the game, she was definitely the pioneering figure of bringing the women's game to the big time. Her winning record speaks for itself as to her coaching chops.

On court however, there's no question Geno was besting her routinely by the time of her diagnosis. He was adapting to a rapidly changing game, especially offensively, more successfully than she. Doesn't mean that couldn't have changed though, Pat was humble enough to know what she didn't know and seek help with it. She liked to win way more than cared about her own ego. I would have loved to see her make another run at him and at some final fours, but she never got that chance.

No question though, by any fair standard Geno will go down as the best x and o and best player development coach of all time. Record don't lie.

Reactions: Dube and PointGuard

VN Store

Back