2020 NFL Offseason Thread

The Falcons have come to terms with former Browns OL Justin McCray and former Vikings WR Laquon Treadwell.

Last edited:
Other than having the $, they weren't a good fit for him. I bet if the Steelers had a do-over, they would gladly give that contract to Bell instead of tagging him. It's not all about that, but everything went to **** when Bell sat.

In 2016 they went 11-5 and lost in the AFCCG. In 2017 with Bell tagged, they went 13-3 losing in the playoffs in a game where their offense scored 42 against Jax's vaunted D. Then 9-6-1, no playoff appearance with Bell sitting. Then 8-8 with the triplets obliterated.
What contract are you talking about? They repeatedly offered Bell more than he could get as a free agent. The regrets aren't in Pittsburgh.

In 2016, the Steelers offered Bell $30 million over 2 years or $15 million a year. The franchise tag he played under in 2018 was $12 million a year. The franchise tag he refused to sign was $14.5 million a year. The final contract the Steelers offered him was $70 million over 5 years or $14 million a year.

As a free agent, the best deal he could get was $52 million over 4 years or $13 million a year.

Reactions: butchna
What contract are you talking about? They repeatedly offered Bell more than he could get as a free agent. The regrets aren't in Pittsburgh.

In 2016, the Steelers offered Bell $30 million over 2 years or $15 million a year. The franchise tag he played under in 2018 was $12 million a year. The franchise tag he refused to sign was $14.5 million a year. The final contract the Steelers offered him was $70 million over 5 years or $14 million a year.

As a free agent, the best deal he could get was $52 million over 4 years or $13 million a year.

You can't just look at money per year or total contract max. He didn't want to be on a short deal where they would chew his body up and not care about his legs after that. In 2018, it was a lack of guaranteed money that was the issue and he was butthurt by then. They set that 2018 contract up to be able to cut him by year 3 or 4. He got slightly more guaranteed $ out the Jets the next year.

I'm not necessarily taking Bell's side, or saying he made the right moves. Or that the Steelers had bad reasoning in 2016. I'm just saying with the benefit of hindsight, the Steelers should have done otherwise. I believe he accepts 4/$60m with $45m guaranteed in 2016 and they would have been happy with the results, but they screwed around with him.

Last edited:
You can't just look at money per year or total contract max. He didn't want to be on a short deal where they would chew his body up and not care about his legs after that. In 2018, it was a lack of guaranteed money that was the issue and he was butthurt by then. They set that 2018 contract up to be able to cut him by year 3 or 4. He got slightly more guaranteed $ out the Jets the next year.

I'm not necessarily taking Bell's side, or saying he made the right moves. Or that the Steelers had bad reasoning in 2016. I'm just saying with the benefit of hindsight, the Steelers should have done otherwise. I believe he accepts 4/$60m with $45m guaranteed in 2016 and they would have been happy with the results, but they screwed around with him.

Sure, they screwed around with him. The Steelers 5 year contract offer for $14 million a year included $33 million in guaranteed money. The 4 year Jets contract he accepted was for $13 million a year included $35 million in guaranteed money.

So yes, he got a massive $2 million more in guaranteed money from the Jets.

To get that, he lost the $14.5 million he would have earned under the tag for the year he sat out, took a $1 million pay cut per year to play at NY and got one less year under contract. And the Steelers are the ones regretting how it played out.

Reactions: butchna
Sure, they screwed around with him. The Steelers 5 year contract offer for $14 million a year included $33 million in guaranteed money. The 4 year Jets contract he accepted was for $13 million a year included $35 million in guaranteed money.

So yes, he got a massive $2 million more in guaranteed money from the Jets.

To get that, he lost the $14.5 million he would have earned under the tag for the year he sat out, took a $1 million pay cut per year to play at NY and got one less year under contract. And the Steelers are the ones regretting how it played out.

You clearly don't understand my point, and maybe didn't read my last post.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
I really don't get it, tbh. Why would you rebrand an NFL team? (except maybe the Redskins) Big business. Lots of fans.

And the Rams of all teams, with one of the most iconic logos in America? And I agree with the people who say it looks like the Chargers.

By the way, the Chargers also released a new logo, by the way. Their fan hasn't noticed yet.

There are so many reasons to be a sad Rams fan. 15 months ago they were on top of the football world for at least the near future, and then Bill Belichick happened.

I really don't get it, tbh. Why would you rebrand an NFL team? (except maybe the Redskins) Big business. Lots of fans.
Not the first time for this. Tampa Bay made drastic changes to their logos and colors in the late 1990's.

Before that the 49ers' had a proposed logo change that had a short lifespan because of the backlash.
oursf0219_49ers_seifert-600x355.jpg

And there are plenty of people who have never gotten over the Steelers' switching away from the block numbers to rounded ones on their jersey in 1997.

And the Rams of all teams, with one of the most iconic logos in America? And I agree with the people who say it looks like the Chargers.

By the way, the Chargers also released a new logo, by the way. Their fan hasn't noticed yet.
Redskins WILL NEVER be rebranded

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
With Synder/Goodell it will never happen but I would not be surprised if a new owner tries (assuming Synder ever sells which I highly doubt)
The backlash would be the worst the NFL has seen (from a single fan base) IMO

VN Store

Back