Vols’ Basketball players who tried their luck with football

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Weird thought at 2:30 in the morning, I admit. But... what Tennessee basketball players have tried their luck on the football field at Tennessee?

I remember when Stanley Asumnu did. And there’s one other one that I remember from the last couple of decades but his name escapes me. Anyone?

Weird thought at 2:30 in the morning, I admit. But... what Tennessee basketball players have tried their luck on the football field at Tennessee?

I remember when Stanley Asumnu did. And there’s one other one that I remember from the last couple of decades but his name escapes me. Anyone?
Nathan W. Dougherty, 1906-1912, was captain of Tennessee football and basketball. He participated in track.
Bobby Dodd played football 1928-1930. He also won varsity letters in basketball, baseball and ran track.

Ron Widby.

There was a local boy from Fulton Hi who was an All America in basketball and football yet his name has not been mentioned?

Nathan W. Dougherty, 1906-1912, was captain of Tennessee football and basketball. He participated in track.
Bobby Dodd played football 1928-1930. He also won varsity letters in basketball, baseball and ran track.
A name we have been using lately that fits this conversation,, Ron W. I know, I know, he didn't just try he "made it" in most things sports he tried.

Reactions: MAD
Not basketball to football; but I really wish Jermaine Copeland would’ve played basketball for the Vols when he was here. The dude could ball

I think there was a basketball player (Robinson?) who played at least preseason NFL as a kick returner. Probably 70s. Not sure if he was drafted or not.
Robby Robertson if I remember correctly.I'm not sure about the pros, but I believe he played footbal for UT about 1973.

VN Store

Back