2008 Championship replay tonight

Several obvious things that stood out from watching the replay from 2008....

Parker was extremely dominant......In this game she was not a huge scorer, but her demeanor on the court was she was in charge....She projected the LVs were not going to lose that game...So nice to see that type of presence again wearing UT colors....

The demon ball (3 point shot) is a greater part of the modern day offensive game....And the girls are more skilled with their behind the line shots today.

The refs were still making some of the same lousy calls in 2008, as thy are today...

As Pat's assistant, Holly still looked lost....

Pat looked like the tiger we all remember....Ferocious!

(If you missed it last night, I believe it is on replay again today)

The 2008 championship team played like champs. The extra pass, quickness to the loose balls, hounding defense, the general speed. Stanford struggled the whole game trying to adapt.

Reactions: feathersax
the semi-final game with LSU was the nailbitter of all time and Hornbuckle's attacking the rim to score her only basket . neither team could make a basket. The imaginatory thread from the non-existing board of 2008 would have been brutal (smile). LSU had three frustrating years on the merry-go-round of reaching for but never getting the golden ring.

So true Gule, so true....

Vicki Baugh was never the same after that driving lay up late in the game, which resulted in the first of many knee injuries, and knee surgeries......She was so gallant encouraging her team mates to fight on, as she was helped off the court.

What a Gal!
article.166367.large.jpg

Parker was extremely dominant......In this game she was not a huge scorer, but her demeanor on the court was she was in charge....She projected the LVs were not going to lose that game...So nice to see that type of presence again wearing UT colors....

Even more amazing is she played that game with a torn labrum...

The second-to-last Final Four I attended. That team was talented from top to bottom. Everyone had a role and a purpose and they played those roles to perfection -- Anosike the enforcer, Hornbuckle the garbage man, slasher, and stopper all in one, Bobbit directing traffic and dropping threes, athletes everywhere else, and then Parker who could do anything and everything. And even in spite of all that, Van Chancellor almost derailed them. That guy was a hell of a coach. Never seemed to get enough credit, even with his WNBA success. Regardless, Tennessee was a great team and they looked the part from tip-off to title. A shame Parker got injured that first year; she would have graduated early with three NCAA championships on her mantle.

So true Gule, so true....

Vicki Baugh was never the same after that driving lay up late in the game, which resulted in the first of many knee injuries, and knee surgeries......She was so gallant encouraging her team mates to fight on, as she was helped off the court.

What a Gal!
article.166367.large.jpg

This photo screams "Why can there not be a LOVE button?" Nope, never met her; but love and admire her.
I mentioned somewhere a couple weeks ago that Parker left due to the beckoning of the WNBA ...and the Olympics. It was pointed out (I'm sorry, I've forgotten by whom, or on which thread) that she could've played in the Olympics and still returned for her Senior season. However, there was some "pending" endorsement money (hundreds-of-thousands, even millions IIRC) that could not have materialized had she stayed with the Lady Vols, so, and with Coach Summitt's blessings, she declared. (Feel free - anyone - to correct my aging memory).

And, things slowly but surely headed south, which culminated in 2012 announcement.

Talk about misfortune: Baugh goes down; soon after, Cain struggles (Not sure of the specifics. Her Hip?) Anyhow, WITH the incredible, Senior, Parker; with Cait McMahan, Brianna Bass, Shekinna Stricklen, Alex Fuller, Vicki Baugh, Angie Bjorukund, Sydney Smallbone, Alicia Manning, Glory Johnson, Alissia Brewer, Amber Gray ...I'll forget someone, or several, so:

2008-09 Women's Basketball Roster - University of Tennessee Athletics

The DEFENSE in that Stanford game was Wicked!

Talk about misfortune: Baugh goes down; soon after, Cain struggles (Not sure of the specifics. Her Hip?) Anyhow, WITH the incredible, Senior, Parker; with Cait McMahan, Brianna Bass, Shekinna Stricklen, Alex Fuller, Vicki Baugh, Angie Bjorukund, Sydney Smallbone, Alicia Manning, Glory Johnson, Alissia Brewer, Amber Gray ...I'll forget someone, or several, so:

I know I'm repeating myself on this one, but Cait McMahan looked like the second coming before her ACL injury. One of the best guards to play in east Tennessee that I can remember. Just everything you'd want in a point. Remarkable how some of these stories can play out, and fate can sometimes upend even the surest things.

That team would defeat the 2019 version of the Lady Vols 10 out of 10 times.....Parker, Ansosike, and the rest of their companions, would have this squad calling for their mamas....LOL...

Damn, I sure miss great basketball wearing the Lady Vol colors...And that squad would have Pat on the sidelines too....Forget about it!

The terror down low!
91143d555a5a8e0c3e82.jpeg

And the coach!
c9585ea8e2e30f671ec04fe4be79d2ec.jpg

That team would defeat the 2019 version of the Lady Vols 10 out of 10 times.....Parker, Ansosike, and the rest of their companions, would have this squad calling for their mamas....LOL...

Damn, I sure miss great basketball wearing the Lady Vol colors...And that squad would have Pat on the sidelines too....Forget about it!

The terror down low!
91143d555a5a8e0c3e82.jpeg

And the coach!
c9585ea8e2e30f671ec04fe4be79d2ec.jpg

That team would give ANY of the top 5 teams in the country this season nightmares !

That's a no-brainer. The better question is how would that team do against Oregon, or South Carolina this year?

Candace would not let the LVs lose....It's as simple as that.

Lady Vols, all the way sir....

could that team beat the Holdsclaw, Catchings, Meek 2 , Jolly and cast?

Like Oregon beating the National Team?
When Oregon played the National team, the National team were without a number of top players (Delle Donne, Breanna Stewart, Aja Wilson, Folwes, Ogwumike and four of the 11 players who played in the game against Oregon missed all or most of the WNBA season that ended four weeks ago, including Layshia Clarendon (ankle surgery, did not play in October’s WNBA Finals), Skylar Diggins-Smith (missed entire season after giving birth six months ago), Diana Taurasi (missed 29 of 35 to back injuries), and Sue Bird (missed entire season after knee scope.)
I don't think Oregon wins if you add just one of the missing players. However, I think they would have won the NCAA Championship this year.

When Oregon played the National team, the National team were without a number of top players (Delle Donne, Breanna Stewart, Aja Wilson, Folwes, Ogwumike and four of the 11 players who played in the game against Oregon missed all or most of the WNBA season that ended four weeks ago, including Layshia Clarendon (ankle surgery, did not play in October’s WNBA Finals), Skylar Diggins-Smith (missed entire season after giving birth six months ago), Diana Taurasi (missed 29 of 35 to back injuries), and Sue Bird (missed entire season after knee scope.)
I don't think Oregon wins if you add just one of the missing players. However, I think they would have won the NCAA Championship this year.

Fowles and Ogwumike both played. The discussion was college teams beating WNBA teams. You can try to minimize it all you want, but at worst Oregon beat a high level WNBA roster that has smoked everyone else on their pre-Olympic exhibition schedule so far. That's pretty damn impressive...

VN Store

Back