Oklahoma Opens As 7 Point Favorite

OU's preseason FPI ranking is #3 in the nation. CBS ranks Spencer Rattler the #3 ranked likely HTC winner. Now, having gotten the usual spring hype out of the way, I think OU is just like a lot of teams going into a new season. We lost 3 quality starters on D, 2 of whom will go in the first 2 rounds of the draft. We do get 8 starters returning and a couple of former starters back who were injured early last year. Our D was dramatically improved last year and with a year of experience in the new scheme most expect it to continue to improve. There is also a question about the early season eligibility of arguably our best returning D starter who may be facing a 5 game suspension. Offensively, we are loaded, even with the recent portal entry of RB Trey Sermon. We lose Lamb and TE Calcaterra ( ended career due to concussions ) but beyond that everyone back. Rattler, assuming he beats out Mordecai, is unproven but he got into 3 games as a freshman and he is extremely talented and he has a true QB Whisperer as his coach. When he takes the field vs the VOLS he will do so in a very similar situation as Mayfield in 2015...one game under his belt before the VOl game although, of course, Baker had an previous experience at TT.

I've never said he was top tier, you assume which in my opinion devalues your argument. Also, his percentages on long passes this past year are the exact opposite of what you say so theres that as well.

His %s on long passes are due in large part to the fact we had dogs at WR who could stop, pull up, and fight for his ducks.

Where would you put him among QBs likely starting in the SEC next year?

Laughable? In what way? How about you give us the games in JG has started where we scored 30+ points. Shouldn’t take you long to list them.

Here, let me help....1 in 2019, 1 in 2018 (scored 30 on the nose vs Auburn) and Zero in 2017.

Matter of fact, throw in the non-P5 teams he’s started against, and the number barely even changes.....zero in 2017, 1 in 2018 (vs ETSU) and 2 in 2019 (lost vs GaState and won vs UTC).

Now go back and list all the games he’s started where he “led” the team to 14-17 points or less. It’s a much longer list....4 in 2019, 6 in 2018, 5 in 2017.

But yeah, it’s laughable to think with Guarantano at QB we’re more likely to score 14-17 points rather than 30+.

Facts are sometimes nasty, nasty things.

Laughable? In what way? How about you give us the games in JG has started where we scored 30+ points. Shouldn’t take you long to list them.

Here, let me help....1 in 2019, 1 in 2018 (scored 30 on the nose vs Auburn) and Zero in 2017.

Matter of fact, throw in the non-P5 teams he’s started against, and the number barely even changes.....zero in 2017, 1 in 2018 (vs ETSU) and 2 in 2019 (lost vs GaState and won vs UTC).

Now go back and list all the games he’s started where he “led” the team to 14-17 points or less. It’s a much longer list....4 in 2019, 6 in 2018, 5 in 2017.

But yeah, it’s laughable to think with Guarantano at QB we’re more likely to score 14-17 points rather than 30+.
I didn’t take the time to read all your comment but I assume it’s just jg bashing and more doom and gloom from you. What else is new. Thank you for that.

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He carved up Auburn 2 years ago and that Auburn D was much better than the D Oklahoma will put on the field next year.

That Auburn D was coming off their 2nd loss of the year when they were highly ranked to begin the season...and catching UT off an open date on an 11AM kickoff. Yes, UT played their best game of the year and the receivers caught EVERY ball but "carving up"....

Reactions: KBVol
His %s on long passes are due in large part to the fact we had dogs at WR who could stop, pull up, and fight for his ducks.

Some writer or outlet recently put him as the 11th best SEC returning starting QB. Seems a little high, not sure how there are 3 worse, but ok, seems about the right range.

Top half and good enough to win with if he's confident. I think he'll be a big plus early on because of our OLs and his experience with everyone missing the spring. Those guys all having a season together is big. If we can find playmakers at RB and WR I think we'll have a big year.

That Auburn D was coming off their 2nd loss of the year when they were highly ranked to begin the season...and catching UT off an open date on an 11AM kickoff. Yes, UT played their best game of the year and the receivers caught EVERY ball but "carving up"....
They are supposed to catch every ball at this level and he made big play after big play that game. He's got the capability.

I didn’t take the time to read all your comment but I assume it’s just jg bashing and more doom and gloom from you. What else is new. Thank you for that.
It’s not bashing, it’s factual statements about how many points our offense has scored with Guarantano as our QB.

Lol. You can put Bailey, Maurer or Shrout under center and we still get toasted. OU is on another level.
OU lost a lot this past year, will he breaking in a new QB, and generally play no defense. I think we can make a game of it, keep it close for the majority of the game. May lose by 17+, but I don’t think it sets up to be a blow out.

This is the message board equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and yelling "nanananananananananan I can't hear you nananananananananananana!"

This is the message board equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears, closing your eyes, and yelling "nanananananananananan I can't hear you nananananananananananana!"
A beard isn’t a personality trait. Thank you for that.

Well If I recall correctly, He threw a lot of 50/50 jump balls, and OUR GUYS Caught them. I remember more than once yelling "Did he Catch THAT?" We shall see.

Back shoulder isn't 50/50. Now that one to JJ in the endzone was a 50/50, and the Junk Yard Dog brought it down.

I hope we develop a power running game and run it down their throats. With a Nation Leading O-line (for ONCE!)

JG becomes a non-factor...for you "JG Haters"
If this is true, then all the more reason to put in HB. With a great running game to fall back on, he'll be able to come along alot quicker. Kind of like Peyton Manning, in his freshman and sophomore seasons, with Little Man and Aaron Hayden, then Jay Graham. Not to mention, one of the best o-lines we've ever had.

VN Store

Back