C++ Textbook

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
Well, sense I'm probably going to be trapped in my home in the near future with all of this zombie apocalypse nonsense, I may as well see if I can brush up on my C++ that I haven't needed to use in close to 20 years. What books are the best to use or start off with? Anybody have any recommendations?

Well, sense I'm probably going to be trapped in my home in the near future with all of this zombie apocalypse nonsense, I may as well see if I can brush up on my C++ that I haven't needed to use in close to 20 years. What books are the best to use or start off with? Anybody have any recommendations?
Learn python

When in doubt, go to the source

Unless you have a good reason though, learn something new and a little more modern / fun. Check out C#, Python, Javascript, or if you wanna get funky, check out Go, it will feel kinda familiar if you remember much of your C++.

Learn python

When in doubt, go to the source

Unless you have a good reason though, learn something new and a little more modern / fun. Check out C#, Python, Javascript, or if you wanna get funky, check out Go, it will feel kinda familiar if you remember much of your C++.

Looking to start working on Arduino/raspberry pi projects. I've heard a lot about python.

Looking to start working on Arduino/raspberry pi projects. I've heard a lot about python.
My son is big into arduino. He builds everything out of them. He's built me several things for my business. He's made me a device that rotates large aluminum cylinders, 4' in diameter x 80'+ long. He made me a time card system where my guys clock in and out with a proximity card. He's working on a cnc plasma table now. It's amazing what you can do with them. They make a nano version that can be bought for 5 for $10.

Last edited:
giphy.gif

I learned Python watching videos on Amazon prime. For free.

I learned Python watchipng videos on Amazon prime. For free.
I'll probably still need a text or something just for the way that I learn things. I can also have something I can refer to later and maybe has several example programs or whatever.

Either way, which language is most beneficial?
It depends on what you want to do. C++ is better if your interests are more academic because, as a C-like language, learning it will make it easier to learn most modern programming languages (because most of the popular ones are also C-like, meaning they share some syntax and features).

If your interests are more practical (as it sounds like they are), then I would recommend a popular modern programming language like Python. There's support for Arduino and Raspberry Pi. Also, it has some nice libraries to support machine learning if that interests you.

Here's the machine learning tutorial that got me into Python. It uses a version of back-propagation.
A Neural Network in 11 lines of Python - iamtrask.github.io

Here's the Python tutorial I used (also a good reference):
Python Tutorial - W3Schools.com

If you live near Knoxville go to McKays and grab a cheap used book.
Thanks you sir, that was the most helpful info I've gotten so far. I came in asking for a specific book that people may recommend and you tell me to drive to Knoxville and go to McKays and just grab a used book.

You checked Udemy? Probably some good classes on there that will include downloadable source code, notes, etc.

There's some Facebook groups for free Udemy and e-learning classes. That can also be a good way to get free courses from them. It's typically teachers looking for more feedback, new class and looking to pad numbers, etc. But, point is, you can get a lot of good courses for free that might help.

Like others, I'd also suggest free Youtube videos and a good reference book for whatever you choose. OReilly has traditionally made good ones. I'm sure there are more. Robot Check

If the link doesn't work, search Amazon for "C++ Oreilly" Or sub any other language.

I'd personally recommend watching youtube videos. Also there's an app called "SoloLearn" that is really helpful for learning at least the basics of coding in various programming languages.

Thanks you sir, that was the most helpful info I've gotten so far. I came in asking for a specific book that people may recommend and you tell me to drive to Knoxville and go to McKays and just grab a used book.
I was in McKays today. Limiting 9 people at a time. I saw a copy of C++ for Dummies, but I decided to pick up a book on wilderness survival techniques because I thought that might be more I useful

This thread has me curious. What do you people do with your lives that requires writing code?

This thread has me curious. What do you people do with your lives that requires writing code?
I'm a web developer. I'm sure we have a decent amount of software engineer/architects, devops people, data analyst type people, ___ admins, etc. that probably use/write some code.

but I'd also be interested to hear from others

Reactions: UT_Dutchman
I'm an engineer for a telecom. For me it's about writing utilities to automate tasks and process data so I can spend my time doing analysis rather than formatting and collating data.

I work with databases a lot. I used to do web work. I also have projects that I do for myself and friends/family. Mainly just JS, PHP, HTML, CSS now days. Nothing overly fancy by any means.

BS in Computer Engineering and MS in Electrical Engineering from UTK. Vp of IT for a "small" (30 office, 150 driver) logistics company, which is a fancy title for my real job 'the computer guy'. I do everything from basic IT, to engineering network and software solutions, interfacing with 3rd party software, infrastructure design and build out, help desk, and about twice a year, advising people on what computers to buy for christmas gifts and graduation presents. I do side work for other small businesses as well, anything from basic it work to custom programming / web development. Lately i'm focusing on getting my aws certifications and "updating" my knowledge base to focus more on modern javascript and frameworks / libraries like React and Vue for SPA and PWA development.

I probably don't find practical application for 30 ~ 40 % of what i learn, but it really isn't work to me, I love it and love solving problems.

So, I've been doing some YouTube tutorials for the Arduino and the guy instructing the class ahs really frowned on the Raspberry Pi and has me looking at Jetson Nano. The Jetson Nano he had has a Raspberry Pi attached/connected to it, but it seems like the Jetson Nano is a more practical device?

Here is a video of his comments regarding Raspberry Pi 4:

VN Store

Back