Latest Coronavirus - Yikes

You're being intentionally stupid. Congrats.

Older people are more suceptible to dying from the Flu as well. What about that scenario? Where's your chicken little outrage there? You know why Italy has high mortality? Because they have an older population. It's directly proportional. Quarantine measures wouldn't have stopped that. May not have happened as quickly, maybe, but it still would have happened. This thing sucks and I don't want older people to die anymore than anybody else. But this is what it is.

As for everybody else...there are slightly higher mortality numbers (stop with the 30-40 times higher nonsense, that still represents ~0.2% for the majority of people) with COVID-19. The only reason for all these measures is to control healthcare resources being overwhelmed. Educate and normalize this like we do the Flu, or any other infectious disease that kills people and its buisness as normal.

The reactions on this board and moral finger pointing at people like they don't care about old people because they are rationally looking at the problem is mind-boggling stupid, short-sighted, and nothing more than taking the lowest common denominator argument because the sheer hard facts of the numbers don't back up a single thing you are saying.

One thing I've seen is the rationale that this virus is only slightly more lethal than seasonal influenza in young and healthy people. The death rate of 0.2% in young and healthy people isn't apocalyptic, but it is considerably higher than the 0.02% of the flu in the same demographic.

Screenshot_20200313-194342.png

But I don't think the death rate is the primary concern with this. The real issue is the R0 seems to be between 2.0 and 3.11 which is significantly higher than the 1.3 R0 of seasonal influenza. I agree 100% with your point that the primary reason for all of these containment measures is to prevent healthcare resources from being overwhelmed. This seems to spread so rapidly, and it causes enough serious cases - albeit cases in which the patient may make a total recovery - that hospital resources have been overwhelmed in countries with consistent outbreak.

Coronavirus compared to flu: shared symptoms, different death rates - Business Insider

Reactions: Orangeburst
One thing I've seen is the rationale that this virus is only slightly more lethal than seasonal influenza in young and healthy people. The death rate of 0.2% in young and healthy people isn't apocalyptic, but it is considerably higher than the 0.02% of the flu in the same demographic.

View attachment 266186

But I don't think the death rate is the primary concern with this. The real issue is the R0 seems to be between 2.0 and 3.11 which is significantly higher than the 1.3 R0 of seasonal influenza. I agree 100% with your point that the primary reason for all of these containment measures is to prevent healthcare resources from being overwhelmed. This seems to spread so rapidly, and it causes enough serious cases - albeit cases in which the patient may make a total recovery - that hospital resources have been overwhelmed in countries with consistent outbreak.

Coronavirus compared to flu: shared symptoms, different death rates - Business Insider
The possibility of walking around for a week or two spreading it before showing symptoms is what makes this dangerous.

Trump declares Sunday a National Day of Prayer amid coronavirus crisis

President Trump declared on Friday this upcoming Sunday a National Day of Prayer, shortly after declaring a state of emergency amid the fast-spreading coronavirus pandemic.

"We are a Country that, throughout our history, has looked to God for protection and strength in times like these....," Trump tweeted. "No matter where you may be, I encourage you to turn towards prayer in an act of faith. Together, we will easily PREVAIL!"

Trump declares Sunday a National Day of Prayer amid coronavirus crisis

President Trump declared on Friday this upcoming Sunday a National Day of Prayer, shortly after declaring a state of emergency amid the fast-spreading coronavirus pandemic.

"We are a Country that, throughout our history, has looked to God for protection and strength in times like these....," Trump tweeted. "No matter where you may be, I encourage you to turn towards prayer in an act of faith. Together, we will easily PREVAIL!"

What a fantastic use of time and resources.

Reactions: volfanhill

VN Store

Back