Premiere League & World Soccer Thread

I don’t think a spot in the Champions league opens up if you win the League Cup. Now if you win the Europa Cup, that gets you in the Champions League.
Didn’t mean CL, was talking about Europa League for Villa. Seven PL teams qualify for European competition. Top 4 go to CL, with 5th place, the FA Cup winner and League Cup winner going to Europa. That’s how several years ago Wigan managed to both get relegated and qualify for the Europa League in the same season. Typically those two spots for Cup winners are occupied by teams who are already qualified for CL, so at that point you move down the table to fill the with the 6th and 7th place teams in the league.

What I was saying is while we know the rules with regards to how City’s vacated top 4 spot would be filled, its less clear what would happen if they were to win either of the Cups. Would their vacant spot from winning that be filled by the team who lost to them in the Cup final, or would it be filled based on league position? Could have a big impact on both Arsenal and Everton.

Reactions: MAD
I didn’t know that about the winners of the domestic cups, that’s very interesting. That’s a very good question, I don’t know. Now you have me curious.

I’d say Everton, Burnley, Arsenal, Wolves, Sheffield, Spurs, United and Chelsea all have a chance for the last two spots for Champions league next year since Top 5 are in play now.
87B445F0-DD2C-4105-8951-9517A1A00F40.jpeg

0FAB8F79-2894-4316-A2E4-9F8A87F86346.jpeg
This Liverpool side is something special, and will win the Premier League title in style.
It just won't be undefeated

Reactions: DocVOLiday
Not sure why Spur’s Eric Dier ran into the stands, but I hear it was to confront raciest comments directed at one of his teammates. If that’s the case, he deserves a medal.

Did anyone see the blues get screwed out of that winning goal against Man U Sunday? Ancelotti ended up getting a red card

Looks like Liverpool is going to be knocked out of the Champions league
They need to score 2 to pull it out in the next 15 minutes.

All Premier League matches will go ahead as scheduled this weekend after latest Government update

Following the latest update from Government issued this afternoon, all Premier League matches will go ahead as scheduled this weekend.

While the Prime Minister advised that all sporting events should take place as normal for now, he also indicated that Government is considering banning major public events, like sporting fixtures.

We are therefore continuing to work closely with our clubs, Government, The FA, EFL and other relevant stakeholders to ensure appropriate contingency plans are in place as and when circumstances change.

The welfare of players, staff and supporters is of paramount importance and we will continue to follow Public Health England guidelines thoroughly.

We will keep everyone updated as appropriate.

All Premier League matches will go ahead as scheduled this weekend after latest Government update

Following the latest update from Government issued this afternoon, all Premier League matches will go ahead as scheduled this weekend.

While the Prime Minister advised that all sporting events should take place as normal for now, he also indicated that Government is considering banning major public events, like sporting fixtures.

We are therefore continuing to work closely with our clubs, Government, The FA, EFL and other relevant stakeholders to ensure appropriate contingency plans are in place as and when circumstances change.

The welfare of players, staff and supporters is of paramount importance and we will continue to follow Public Health England guidelines thoroughly.

We will keep everyone updated as appropriate.

So the EPL essentially gave the rest of the sports world the finger.

At least there will be something to watch this weekend.

Reactions: MAD
Wow. They have to suspend games now.
The Premier league removed their earlier statement and posted this instead

League to convene an emergency club meeting tomorrow morning regarding fixtures after Mikel Arteta tested positive for COVID-19

In light of Arsenal’s announcement tonight confirming that their first-team coach Mikel Arteta has tested positive for COVID-19, the Premier League will convene an emergency club meeting tomorrow morning regarding future fixtures.

The Premier League will make no further comment until after that meeting.

Reactions: NorCalVol67

VN Store

Back