Ivy League cancels conference basketball tournaments because of coronavirus

TrumpedUpVol

Ivy cancels conference tourneys, cites coronavirus

Not only does this strike me as an extreme overreaction and supremely unfair to Harvard/Princeton/Penn to just give the Yale men the title (not invested enough in the women's tournament to see who would have played), but I distinctly recall the NCAA forcing the SEC to finish playing the 2008 SEC Tournament after the Atlanta tornadoes if the SEC wanted to receive an automatic bid. If the Ivy League goes through with this, which they undoubtedly will, the NCAA should not provide them with an auto-bid.

Not only does this strike me as an extreme overreaction and supremely unfair to Harvard/Princeton/Penn to just give the Yale men the title (not invested enough in the women's tournament to see who would have played), but I distinctly recall the NCAA forcing the SEC to finish playing the 2008 SEC Tournament after the Atlanta tornadoes if the SEC wanted to receive an automatic bid. If the Ivy League goes through with this, which they undoubtedly will, the NCAA should not provide them with an auto-bid.
I'm surprised there's been no word from the SEC or ACC about the Coronavirus.

giphy.gif

If you're that freaked out about coronavirus, then why not play it behind closed doors? I'd be pissed if I was sitting 2nd or 3rd in the Ivy League regular season standings.
The Ivy League instead will award its automatic NCAA tournament bids to the regular-season champions, the Princeton women and Yale men.
Also, that seems kind of presumptuous. Aren't the automatic bids the NCAA's to award, not the conference's?

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
The Ivy League has only been playing a conference tourney for 3 years. The NCAA doesn't mandate a tournament for an automatic bid.

Precedent, by way of the 2008 SEC Tournament, dictates that a conference can’t just change their automatic bid criteria on the fly; if the SEC was only able to receive an automatic bid upon the successful completion of a conference tournament interrupted by an act of God, I see no reason to allow the Ivy League to flip the agreed upon script during the days leading up to Selection Sunday.

That being said, I think we all know just how little precedent actually matters to the NCAA.

Precedent, by way of the 2008 SEC Tournament, dictates that a conference can’t just change their automatic bid criteria on the fly; if the SEC was only able to receive an automatic bid upon the successful completion of a conference tournament interrupted by an act of God, I see no reason to allow the Ivy League to flip the agreed upon script during the days leading up to Selection Sunday.

That being said, I think we all know just how little precedent actually matters to the NCAA.

The NCAA was wrong in 2008. Perhaps they've reached the same conclusion. Bad precedent shouldn't be followed.

And those schools like USC and UCLA allowing a cap of 1000 ? Whats the point 1 of those 1000 might be sick -- there is no easy solution except common sense by staying home if you have cold symptoms, but we all know there are idiots that are too inconsiderate to figure that one out. Then you have the political idiots, like the Ohio governor getting involved trying to abuse their power telling private run Pro teams what to do

Reactions: feathersax
They are talking about not having audiences present for some of the tourneys including the Big Dance.

And they are also saying - no postgame handshakes. Thats something I find pretty dumb. They rub up against each other all game... but no handshakes!

They are talking about not having audiences present for some of the tourneys including the Big Dance.

And they are also saying - no postgame handshakes. Thats something I find pretty dumb. They rub up against each other all game... but no handshakes!
Hysteria.

Also, the Ivy League isn't going to have their conference tourney...but Yale is going to the NCAA Tournament, where they'll play in front of thousands. It's all about doing stuff that makes you feel safer, not actually makes you safer.

The thing is, canceling a few B-ball games or playing to an empty house is not going to stop or even appreciably slow the spread of the virus. They have to cancel school. In-person primary and secondary education have to be temporarily suspended to slow this down. Anything else is a half-measure. Stopping travel would have worked if done early enough and stringently enough - both of which are very difficult to do. At this point we have to stop the spread within major urban areas.

The thing is, canceling a few B-ball games or playing to an empty house is not going to stop or even appreciably slow the spread of the virus. They have to cancel school. In-person primary and secondary education have to be temporarily suspended to slow this down. Anything else is a half-measure. Stopping travel would have worked if done early enough and stringently enough - both of which are very difficult to do. At this point we have to stop the spread within major urban areas.
Thing is...it doesn't really infect kids/young people. Not sure what shutting schools down does.

Also, the Ivy League isn't going to have their conference tourney...but Yale is going to the NCAA Tournament, where they'll play in front of thousands. It's all about doing stuff that makes you feel safer, not actually makes you safer.

This is peak absurdity to me. You won't have the tournament behind closed doors because that somehow poses a health risk to your players who could literally carpool to Cambridge, but you'll permit the Yale squad to hop on an airplane to get shellacked in the Round of 64.

Reactions: 05_never_again
This is peak absurdity to me. You won't have the tournament behind closed doors because that somehow poses a health risk to your players who could literally carpool to Cambridge, but you'll permit the Yale squad to hop on an airplane to get shellacked in the Round of 64.
It's a feel good, "look at us...we're doing something to protect our players" measure.

Why not just replace the live games with video games? Each basketball team finds it best video game player and play the conference and NCAA tournaments out that way?

This Berkeley physics Prof has easily the best plan to deal with any contingency:

berkeley-prof.jpg

VN Store

Back