Bama tried to steal UT S&C guy

secking

Could have swore Bama said they hired the best in the business yet at least 2 guys apparently turned them down. Feld and Fitzgerald said no. Did KSU S&C guy say no as well?
Feld or Fitz would have been good hires for Bama. Indiana S&C May turn out great, not enough to go on, only been in college S&C for a few years, was HS S&C for the previous 13 or so years. Too early to tell.

Jeremy Pruitt implies Alabama tried to hire key assistant away from Tennessee

UT has the resources to match Bama so no surprise on that. However, it is more surprising that no other top-tier names seemed to be interested. I do wonder if Saban is hitting that point where people are asking "is he going to retire?" Same issue happened with Spurrier at South Carolina. It gets more difficult to recruit players and coaches because everyone is afraid you'll be gone soon, even if you have no plans to retire.

In the NFL, you could coach till 75 or 80 and it wouldn't make much of a difference so long as you're mentally astute.

In college, it's tough to coach beyond 70 even if you're in great shape, because you have to deal with the "he's going to retire soon" negative recruiting.

I hope wee little Nickie's "process" is finally showing weakness. Another couple years with no NC and he will no longer be worshipped in Alabama. The media has already started laying the groundwork. I can't wait, I hope they never win another game.

Last edited:
UT has the resources to match Bama so no surprise on that. However, it is more surprising that no other top-tier names seemed to be interested. I do wonder if Saban is hitting that point where people are asking "is he going to retire?" Same issue happened with Spurrier at South Carolina. It gets more difficult to recruit players and coaches because everyone is afraid you'll be gone soon, even if you have no plans to retire.

In the NFL, you could coach till 75 or 80 and it wouldn't make much of a difference so long as you're mentally astute.

In college, it's tough to coach beyond 70 even if you're in great shape, because you have to deal with the "he's going to retire soon" negative recruiting.
IMO Spurrier didn't retire he quit because he knew he couldn't win with the players he had. Retiring would have been waiting until the end of the season to leave. But getting beat by Lyle didn't help matters either.

IMO Spurrier didn't retire he quit because he knew he couldn't win with the players he had. Retiring would have been waiting until the end of the season to leave. But getting beat by Lyle didn't help matters either.

The people that say he retired need a head examination. Everything was starting to tank and he took the easy way out.

Could have swore Bama said they hired the best in the business yet at least 2 guys apparently turned them down. Feld and Fitzgerald said no. Did KSU S&C guy say no as well?
Feld or Fitz would have been good hires for Bama. Indiana S&C May turn out great, not enough to go on, only been in college S&C for a few years, was HS S&C for the previous 13 or so years. Too early to tell.

Jeremy Pruitt implies Alabama tried to hire key assistant away from Tennessee
Saban can GTFO!

The people that say he retired need a head examination. Everything was starting to tank and he took the easy way out.
There has to be an untold story. I have always thought that Steve got sideways with the money men, kinda like one of our previous bb coaches. When that happens,and access to private jets, bagmen and the like ends, the coach is a dead man walking. Spurrier did not have to wait out the season like Butch did, he said his FUs and left. Perhaps that was best for SC, a lame duck coach is a cancer on any program. The early signing period will cause more mid season coaching changes in the fuuture.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Screw saban. He is looking old and stressed.
<bluefont>On the contrary, he looks darn good in a blue coat. I bought 6 new insurance policies, and want more every time I see him do that ad. I want a special one for a broken hip. </bluefont>

Jeopardy:
Football for 500 - The next game on the schedule for South Carolina when Steve Spurrier quit.
Who is "The University of Tennessee".

I always thought he couldn't stand losing to UT and saw it coming.

This. People forget how petty Spurrier was. He knew if he continued that season, his winning % would take a dip. Why does that matter? Just the week before he brought up having pride being above Vince Dooley for all time winning %. .718 to .715, had he finished that season, he would have dropped below Dooley. Him talking about it says it was on his mind.

Jeopardy:
Football for 500 - The next game on the schedule for South Carolina when Steve Spurrier quit.
Who is "The University of Tennessee".

I always thought he couldn't stand losing to UT and saw it coming.
Spurrier resigned Oct 12 before the Vandy game. SC didn’t play TN until November.

There has to be an untold story. I have always thought that Steve got sideways with the money men, kinda like one of our previous bb coaches. When that happens,and access to private jets, bagmen and the like ends, the coach is a dead man walking. Spurrier did not have to wait out the season like Butch did, he said his FUs and left. Perhaps that was best for SC, a lame duck coach is a cancer on any program. The early signing period will cause more mid season coaching changes in the fuuture.
Spurrier recruiting was on downward spiral as well. He hated recruiting. My nephew ran track and was running state, A highly ranked RB was also there. We chatted for quite a bit. Said Marcus Lattimore was his idol, in the way he ran the ball and carried himself off the field. He was set to make a commitment and wanted to visit his final schools one more time to be sure. He visits SC and was scheduled to speak with Spurrier except Spurrier wasn’t to be found, he skipped out to go golfing. RB changed his mind and stayed instate instead, Nick Chubb.

I think Saban has a bit of reputation among coaches as being hard to work for. I know when Josh Gattis left for the Michigan OC job he stated "I had just left a meeting with Nick Saban getting my butt chewed out for about 20 minutes telling him I was leaving and he was trying to keep me to stay. It did not go over well. So if there was any band-aid to the bruise or what he left on me it was that phone call." Lane Kiffin has referred numerous times to the "ass chewings" he received under Saban. Even Cochran leaving for UGA makes little sense. A lateral move at best. Maybe I am reading too much into it and Saban's drill SGT type approach has made him the GOAT but I think when the history books look back on the demise of Saban's greatness it will discuss how his coaches left him and he could not replace them as the cause. Saban might need to take a course from Dabo on how to keep your assistant coaches happy.

This. People forget how petty Spurrier was. He knew if he continued that season, his winning % would take a dip. Why does that matter? Just the week before he brought up having pride being above Vince Dooley for all time winning %. .718 to .715, had he finished that season, he would have dropped below Dooley. Him talking about it says it was on his mind.

What makes it worse? The fans claiming he gave all the money back. I highly doubt he even considered it.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
I think Saban has a bit of reputation among coaches as being hard to work for. I know when Josh Gattis left for the Michigan OC job he stated "I had just left a meeting with Nick Saban getting my butt chewed out for about 20 minutes telling him I was leaving and he was trying to keep me to stay. It did not go over well. So if there was any band-aid to the bruise or what he left on me it was that phone call." Lane Kiffin has referred numerous times to the "ass chewings" he received under Saban. Even Cochran leaving for UGA makes little sense. A lateral move at best. Maybe I am reading too much into it and Saban's drill SGT type approach has made him the GOAT but I think when the history books look back on the demise of Saban's greatness it will discuss how his coaches left him and he could not replace them as the cause. Saban might need to take a course from Dabo on how to keep your assistant coaches happy.

He’s hard to work for because of the process. I don’t fault him for it because of the track record he’s achieved. Nobody can take that away from him whether they like him or not.

Assistants can be replaced but eventually it catches up to you. I believe it started to this past season and the loss of the best SC coach just adds to it. As most of us know it’s hard to get a quality guy in that position and you just don’t replace the best in the business. A lot of you will argue with me about that and that’s ok but I personally don’t think there’s a case where he’s not.

Reactions: Proud Army Wife
Not really sure why he took that job to begin with. Not a top program, hard to recruit to, Columbia is a dumpster fire imo anyway.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

VN Store

Back