Well, D1 Baseball dropped us like a hot rock.

OK. I get that when you look at the index of all the teams. But, serious question...since the bulk of the schedule is SEC games, how does their RPI and SOS pull so low. I'm looking at UCLA sitting atop the RPI at 1 and SOS at 2. The performance of their conference foes thus far is not terribly impressive. And though their NC games are stronger than UT, they've been 50/50 just looking at the results of the opponents they've had so far. And I certainly don't get Xavier having the #2 SOS. Or maybe I'm interpreting wrongly. I may need a little instruction on that table.
Just means we haven't played anyone to date other than TT, so the series loss to WS really hurts

It was a good win but the media doesn't put much stock into it but you know all of this you're a smart baseball guy from what I've seen

Ill disagree with you slightly. A win on Friday means more than a win in the midweek

But I agree it’s not a hang your hat on series win

Reactions: txbo
Well Sewell is starting Tuesday and South Carolina will have to deal with Crochet on Friday. Get a win against a solid ETSU team tomorrow and 15-2 heading into SEC play with your 2 best pitchers out for majority of the time so far is a very damn good start.

Reactions: MagnoliaVol
Ill disagree with you slightly. A win on Friday means more than a win in the midweek

But I agree it’s not a hang your hat on series win
We will agree to disagree on that aspect, to me a Friday night win in a series is huge but a Friday night win in a preseason showcase doesn't carry as much weight.

Baseball writers and Coaches. Essentially everyone who votes in these polls
They don’t matter whatsoever. Coaches have them ranked 20th anyway. NCAA selection committee matters for seeding purposes and that is it. It all starts this weekend and I love this teams chances in the SEC they have the talent and coaching staff to do great things.

We will agree to disagree on that aspect, to me a Friday night win in a series is huge but a Friday night win in a preseason showcase doesn't carry as much weight.

Wait how are those two different ?

both are treated the same as far as pitching staffs go. That’s why winning that Friday game means much more than a Tuesday or Wednesday where the pitching matchups could be very different

A Friday game is 1 vs 1 whether it’s a series or a round robin showcase

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Wait how are those two different ?

both are treated the same as far as pitching staffs go. That’s why winning that Friday game means much more than a Tuesday or Wednesday where the pitching matchups could be very different

A Friday game is 1 vs 1 whether it’s a series or a round robin showcase

Do you put much stock into Michigan's win over Vandy? I don't, now had they played a 3 game series and won Friday, Sunday then yes that would be impressive. I'm not discounting anything Tennessee has done, I love CTV however the overall schedule to date has been tremendously weak and that Wright State series loss heavily outweighs the win over TT. The last weekend actually has me a little concerned

Do you put much stock into Michigan's win over Vandy? I don't, now had they played a 3 game series and won Friday, Sunday then yes that would be impressive. I'm not discounting anything Tennessee has done, I love CTV however the overall schedule to date has been tremendously weak and that Wright State series loss heavily outweighs the win over TT. The last weekend actually has me a little concerned

Even though that series should have been a gimmie, I'd rather see a hiccup in that series and grow out of it, than drop a couple early SEC series for a wake up call.

ETSU will be a tough in state opponent, because it means so much because those kids feel slighted for not being recruited to UT , should be a good game......
But honestly it’s just a different beast in the SEC ... we have not won a single game in Columbia in 12 years if I am not mistaken ...
so first weekend will be a Test for sure then we come home to Vandy. Got to love SEC baseball... I think this team will compete and battle but it will be one for sure. Go VOLS. My prediction for first 2 weekends of SEC play Is 4-2 ... rankings will take care of itself .

Yes michigan beating vandy on Friday was very impressive. If we didn’t already know it from last years CWS that game showed us just how good their Friday night guy is legit. So yes that game means a lot more as to their overall strength than a midweek game

Perfect Game has dropped us to #23, which is a bit lower than I imagined but we're still in the top 25 and that's a good thing.

VN Store

Back