this team has regressed

Repeat-----Fans all over the world of UT Lady basketball should help recruit great players. Add----- Join with informative posts on Vol Nation.

Reactions: JohnnyPayne
Madam or Sir, not every recruit will accept TN. So, the answer was that she picked KY..
I am not sure the previous coach put a lot of effort into recruiting her. I think Howard was irritated that she was not strongly recruited by Tennessee. We ended up with some underdeveloped players who need to do a lot of work in the off season; get stronger faster and learn some of the basics of basketball. If they do, we have a chance of bing a pretty good basketball team next year. A couple of good recruits and getting one of our better players back healthy will and to a successful team next year.

CKH will be fine .... it will help her greatly to have a steady ball handler Don't necessarily see a total regression.... but many places to plug up the dike.... many holes....

Though i think KJH will be ok, i think it is crazy that many people are so soft on her.... these are not her recruits.... and all the players she does NOT have.... e g with most teams we play we have players who are rated higher than our opponent when they arrive here.... and as for not being "her players" I think of the old adage that you can tell a good coach by his (her) ability to beat "theirs" with "yours" and also take "yours" and beat "theirs"... not taking a year or two to wade into the job.....

And I see a lot of comments the refereeing is terrible..... players are tired.... "we are young" these are all problems ..real or perceived... that other teams also face.... South Carolina starts 3 freshman.... yes i know they are a better team but freshmen are freshmen.... and i think they are in the top group in WCBB in terms of fewest turnovers.....

Did you not see the completely barren roster poor Kellie had to work with? She greatly overachieved to keep the margin within 30...

I don't know if I think these players are as good as the rankings or that the right mix exists i.e. too many with a similar skillset. Do you have confidence the last group of coaches recruited really good players with solid fundamentals?

I don't know if I think these players are as good as the rankings or that the right mix exists i.e. too many with a similar skillset. Do you have confidence the last group of coaches recruited really good players with solid fundamentals?

I know sometimes the recruiting rankings can get it wrong, but sometimes we had 4 McDonald’s AA’s on the floor at the same time under Holly and I don’t buy that we’re the unluckiest program in the country and they were all busts.

Typically there’s no way you’re an All American without having solid fundamentals.

I think this roster is definitely flawed. I think losing Zaay was obviously a significant blow. I don't think aspirations of an SEC championship or a Final Four run were ever a serious consideration for most rational fans.

That said, I think there is definitely still talent and the potential to be playing much better as a TEAM than the trainwreck we've seen for the better part of a month. This roster that got their a** kicked by Kentucky is the same roster that *should* have beaten Kentucky at their place two months ago...

Reactions: BreatheUT
I know sometimes the recruiting rankings can get it wrong, but sometimes we had 4 McDonald’s AA’s on the floor at the same time under Holly and I don’t buy that we’re the unluckiest program in the country and they were all busts.

Typically there’s no way you’re an All American without having solid fundamentals.

Well with Holly anything was possible.

Reactions: Tnphil
Serious question: I’ve seen a lot of comments this year about poor conditioning for incoming players. How does that happen? Do They just let themselves go after they are recruited to TN? Are they limited by ncaa rules about conditioning in the Summer? Do we rely on self discipline to see that they Come in in good shape?Were They ever in good shape? Perhaps we should put more obvious expectations of their conditioning on whether they actually get a scholarship to play BB?

Hard to blame Kellie too much for this. The group she has inherited does not have a high basketball IQ. The guards seem to have no idea when and where to make a pass. Really, this team has 2 girls that are good ball players IMO. If we are still getting near double digit TOs early in the second quarter in her 3rd year then we can blame some of this on her. We also have to start getting the local stars to come play for the Lady Vols again. Cleveland and Chattanooga alone are putting out top players and none are coming to Knoxville.
Yep, she has got to significantly improve her recruiting. The Lady Vol name no longer carries the impact it did before our previous coach ran it off a bridge. Pressure is on kellie to get it back, we will see if she is capable of pulling it off. I just don’t know if she can. we still need some difference makers before we compete at a high level.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Serious question: I’ve seen a lot of comments this year about poor conditioning for incoming players. How does that happen? Do They just let themselves go after they are recruited to TN? Are they limited by ncaa rules about conditioning in the Summer? Do we rely on self discipline to see that they Come in in good shape?Were They ever in good shape? Perhaps we should put more obvious expectations of their conditioning on whether they actually get a scholarship to play BB?

Excellent question.
I’m not an authority, but I vividly recall my freshman season in college. Having just left the military I was in good shape, plus I had played above the high school level at Camp Leneune. But it was still eye-popping.
You’ve heard coaches and commentators ramble on about “the speed of the game.” Speed is but a part of the college athletic equation. College level athletics is a huge step up in ...intensity. The guys and gals you play against in college ...play harder. Much harder. There’s more at stake, and not just scholarship money. There’s more competition, not just for playing time, but for practice time. The “reps,” as they’re called.
Whereas in high school a great player can practically “plan,” and then execute the next move. In college, such an approach will often end in embarrassment. We often witnessed this with our Ladies this season. One must be a little (or a lot) more alert and responsive; and this takes a huge toll on the body and mind. When those same talking heads refer to “letting the game slow down.” they mean that the blur is now in focus. And, then the player doesn’t appear so exhausted. She’s breaking through “The Freshman Wall.”
There are many here who can better explain this, but the more I watch this team, the more impressed I am with Coach Kellie. She has managed this team brilliantly.

Poor Kellie. She has entered the land of little chance to win. She can never be Pat Summit. Pat Summit couldn't be herself in today's environment. Things change. UT won't field a natty team based solely on their reputation going forward. This is her first year. Brave new world.
Man if you can't spell Pat's name correct, I wonder how much respect you really have for her! Summitt, visit any game, it is on the court! Summitt, 2ts. Stop this Summit stuff, it just shows lack of care for her, and her history. Plus she is gone, support this team, they are actually getting better spacing, and Kellie is shortening bench. All good things.

I am not sure the previous coach put a lot of effort into recruiting her. I think Howard was irritated that she was not strongly recruited by Tennessee. We ended up with some underdeveloped players who need to do a lot of work in the off season; get stronger faster and learn some of the basics of basketball. If they do, we have a chance of bing a pretty good basketball team next year. A couple of good recruits and getting one of our better players back healthy will and to a successful team next year.
You are correct about Howard. She was irritated. You can ascertain this by her comments.

VN Store

Back