Game Thread: SEC: Lady Vols v Wildcats

We make senseless turnovers. Our roster is going to have to turnover, we need ballhandlers and shooters and our frontcourt is too soft. We need to find more aggressive and tougher inside players. We have to learn how to play defense and recruit players that know how. We need it all. GBO!

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Add some of Burrell 's aggressiveness to Davis ,and some Davis's cool,calm,and collected mode to Sugar Rae and you have two really great players
True, into the lab this summer!
Jas just need to realize that she's a freaking guard and need to do real guard things.
You mean like have 5 assists? Or be in the top 3 of the league in assist/t.o. ratio for the season? I wish Jaz would look to score more, she has a nice pull up jumper. But she's done some pretty good guard stuff this year. I liked that she was pushing the ball a bit more tonight and not being so tentative.

Call me crazy, but if Jaz improves as much as she did last offseason and JH makes the expected frosh to soph improvements, I think they can be a heck of a guard combo next year. I like JH more at 2 where she has to handle less and can concentrate more on scoring. I want both of them to work hard on their 3 pt shooting this summer.

You mean like have 5 assists? Or be in the top 3 of the league in assist/t.o. ratio for the season? I wish Jaz would look to score more, she has a nice pull up jumper. But she's done some pretty good guard stuff this year. I liked that she was pushing the ball a bit more tonight and not being so tentative.

agree, Jaz could take more shots

Call me crazy, but if Jaz improves as much as she did last offseason and JH makes the expected frosh to soph improvements, I think they can be a heck of a guard combo next year. I like JH more at 2 where she has to handle less and can concentrate more on scoring. I want both of them to work hard on their 3 pt shooting this summer.
Add some of Jordan's scoring prowess to Jas and some
of Jas A/TO ratio to Jordan and some of Rennie three point shooting to both , I believe Dr.Funkenstein you have created two basketball monster legends

Reactions: glv98
Add some of Jordan's scoring prowess to Jas and some
of Jas A/TO ratio to Jordan and some of Rennie three point shooting to both , I believe Dr.Funkenstein you have created two basketball monster legends
It shows we have pieces, it's just putting them together. While we're hybridizing, can we have some of Yves Ponds leaping ability to ANY of our post players? If Key could jump she'd have 10 blocks a night. Had 7 tonight, most full stuffs without ever leaving the ground!

She has no Coaching experience, but I bet she could help with recruiting.

I still think she could handle it . The absolute best person imo ( and she has excellent coaching experience ) is Kara Lawson ! Back that dump truck full of money to her house now !!

Reactions: Dube
Something tell me Rennia is going off tonight.Tennessee by 15

200.gif

I just got a real question here. Did anyone else realize that Warlick was a $hitty coach besides me? Why was she kept so long just because she was able to coast the first several years on a program that still had Pat's influence. She was petty, lacked leadership ability and just generally a bad coach.

Seriously? Are you new here?

Good news is I think the LV's make the NCAA's...the bad news is getting absolutely hammered by friggin Kentucky. Tonight was an embarrassment. It's KJH's first year so she gets somewhat of a pass...but my goodness. Disappointing is a massive understatement.

Good news is I think the LV's make the NCAA's...the bad news is getting absolutely hammered by friggin Kentucky. Tonight was an embarrassment. It's KJH's first year so she gets somewhat of a pass...but my goodness. Disappointing is a massive understatement.
I agree 100% by what you write. I couldn’t watch the game but did stream. But it appeared that the same thing happened as has happened before. We get totally out played by a team that does not have the talent we do by not getting offensive rebounds, loose balls and leave key shooters open for momentum building 3’s. I like Kellie and hope she succeeds, but in the off-season, there needs to be a massive “soul search” effort with everyone including the coaches. I really believe we need some “tough love” with our ladies and explain if you don’t perform, you sit! Just my opinion.

Reactions: Coach Jumper
I’m giving CKH a bye for this first year and will always root for my Vols. But your comment about we struggled some against top 10 teams. Well we are 1-10 against top 50 RPI teams this year.
So do you think 21 and 10 is a reasonable record for THIS team given youth, a new coach and not much culture carryover? I do. Is it possible that we ran into a KY team tonight that could not miss, was motivated after a horrible last game out and has the SEC POY and we subsequently lost not because the team is lazy, slow, low B.B. IQ etc with an inept coaching staff? (That is a horrible sentence structure but I am too sleepy to correct. I think you get my drift.)
I understand tonight was a disappointing result but I hardly think the program is done or trash or doomed or whatever else posters proclaimed. My god the bitching and moaning. This was a loss, no one on this board got slapped and had their lunch money taken.
There has been a lot of good play this season and I look forward to THIS team being better next year and hopefully getting a game or two in the NCAAs this year.

Very,very disappointing result for the LadyVols:rolleyes: I'm ready to shut the door on the 2019-2020 LadyVols and hope the 2020-2021 edition of the LadyVols will be better:(

channing.nocrop.w710.h2147483647.gif

Yes I saw that and thought the same thing. When that sweet daughter gets older that very well may happen!
IMO Kara Lawson would be a great hire! She is tough, won't let the players slack off and is an assistant in the best league in the world!!!

Just a quick note after reading most of these comments:

There are many very successful college coaches who started out with bad records the first year or two. If I remember correctly, Coach K lost a bunch his first year or two.

I think HCKH has done fairly well with the team she inherited and the culture she inherited. She still has some growing to do, I'm sure; but at this point, I'm ready to give her the three years you would give any new coach to recruit their own players and install their own system.
You really need 4 or 5 years for your players and system to take hold because of recruiting and the coaching change. I agree with you about give it time to develop and work.

Davis is a mediocre defender at best...doesn't move her feet and waves her arms ineffectively as her man goes by her. She also can't handle contact and takes plays or whole halves off. She needs to toughen up. She gets a lot of accolades for her offense but is not a good example for the rest of the team.
You can't disappear when there are only five playing...Rennia has done this a lot of times this year.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
You really need 4 or 5 years for your players and system to take hold because of recruiting and the coaching change. I agree with you about give it time to develop and work.

Bruce Pearl took Buzz Peterson's .500 team - same players- and in year one had them ranked in the top 15 while earning a two-seed in the NCAAT.

Bruce Pearl took Buzz Peterson's .500 team - same players- and in year one had them ranked in the top 15 while earning a two-seed in the NCAAT.

That was, and is, an incredible exception. Pearl was so amazing that when he signed on at Auburn the Tigers improved from 14-16 to 15-20. One whole win! And then he then followed that up with an 11-20 season. If he was somehow so magical that he could take anyone and make them a top 15 team, Auburn would have experienced the same meteoric rise. But they didn't. They did finally break .500 in his third year, when they went 18-14.

Bruce Pearl's first Tennessee team was a stroke of lightning at the right time: a motivator like few others combined with one of the best shooters in college basketball history (and other talented players). The reality is that most coaching changes don't pay off with meteorically improved results. Even when the coach is Bruce Pearl.

You can't disappear when there are only five playing...Rennia has done this a lot of times this year.

You mean like a certain player at UConn that she's vastly superior to? Didn't Rennia win some prestigious award (so I'm told) after dominating Vandy and Ole Miss last week.... ?

VN Store

Back