Tennessee Vols Basketball Recruiting

Bailey & Santiago probably be our best 3 shooters next season. James has really improved his shot too so wouldn't surprise me if he's more confident from deep.

Not sure about Keon, but I know Springer is more of a drive to the rim type of scorer (which I actually think we need more than 3 shooters), nothing makes a 3 easier to hit than a kick-out when your guy crashed inside to help on penetration.

The weakness in both guys games are their perimeter shots, but strength is driving...surrounding them with Bailey/Vescovi/James/Pons/JJ (if he returns) should really open things up. I’m also curious how much Fulk works on extending his range, he’s shot really well from 15-18’ this year, something he never showed before, he’s also shooting 76% from the line which NBA translates to developing a perimeter shot, I could see him extending out a bit more next year, maybe not to the 3 line but that 18’ range.

The weakness in both guys games are their perimeter shots, but strength is driving...surrounding them with Bailey/Vescovi/James/Pons/JJ (if he returns) should really open things up. I’m also curious how much Fulk works on extending his range, he’s shot really well from 15-18’ this year, something he never showed before, he’s also shooting 76% from the line which NBA translates to developing a perimeter shot, I could see him extending out a bit more next year, maybe not to the 3 line but that 18’ range.
Can you imagine if Tn could have gotten in on Moussa Cisse. 6'11" athletic Big Man work horse on both ends out of the Memphis Lausanne. Why can't TN not get in on these guys?

Can you imagine if Tn could have gotten in on Moussa Cisse. 6'11" athletic Big Man work horse on both ends out of the Memphis Lausanne. Why can't TN not get in on these guys?

Supposedly we are. He mentioned Tennessee in an interview last week. He could possibly reclassify into 2020. With that being said, I don't expect to land him.

Well for 1 they are in on him, but 2 he’s a guy that moved from out of state to be in Memphis...take that how you want.

We should get a very good big man. If they were to study the roster they'd see an outstanding opportunity. A big wouldn't want to go somewhere with a bad perimeter because the opponents would focus on defending the post rather than the outside. Also, as good as the perimeter should be, it doesn't appear to be one with ball hogs. The roster looks like there will be many unselfish players that will be looking to feed the post whenever possible. But there other other important factors such as geography, horrible SEC officiating, and a history of not winning championships and missing Final Fours and EEs. However a teenager with vision should see that they have an opportunity to make history at UT.

I don't think he plays a ton next year, but Pember is supposed to be a good 3 ball shooter as well.

I like the diversity of skill sets the guards will have next year, feel like this year we don't have a true ball handler that's willing to drive to the rim after Turner went out. So it'll be nice to have 2 5 stars incoming that are strong at it.

I don't think he plays a ton next year, but Pember is supposed to be a good 3 ball shooter as well.

I like the diversity of skill sets the guards will have next year, feel like this year we don't have a true ball handler that's willing to drive to the rim after Turner went out. So it'll be nice to have 2 5 stars incoming that are strong at it.

Definitely a good balance of players and varying skill sets for sure.

Unless TN is planning on throwing everything they have into having as much success as possible NEXT year, Pember should redshirt. He'd add a dimension as one of the better perimeter shooters, but there really aren't too many minutes to give to him.
Agree 100%, it will be able to give him another year when he should have redshirted this year but sadly that was not an option.

Well for 1 they are in on him, but 2 he’s a guy that moved from out of state to be in Memphis...take that how you want.
Penny has been less than impressive. Granted he lost Wiseman, but there was a few other highly rated players in that class. I’m not sure they’ll make the tourney as they played a weak schedule. I think their only win against a ranked opponent is Houston.

I imagine volnation would piss and moan the first time he doesn't play like Shaq.... Just like every other freshman!

Penny has been less than impressive. Granted he lost Wiseman, but there was a few other highly rated players in that class. I’m not sure they’ll make the tourney as they played a weak schedule. I think their only win against a ranked opponent is Houston.

2019 Memphis had the #1 ranked class, all 7 were top 125 rated. 5 of the 7 were top 60 ranked.

Penny has been very unimpressive this season with that class, especially considering his 2018 class was the 30th ranked class.

2019 Memphis had the #1 ranked class, all 7 were top 125 rated. 5 of the 7 were top 60 ranked.

Penny has been very unimpressive this season with that class, especially considering his 2018 class was the 30th ranked class.
That 40 point loss to Tulsa (I believe) was one that left everyone scratching their heads. Still as talented as they are they make so many turnovers at this time of season. But I'd love to see Precious Achiuwa in orange. The kid is a baller.

Any update on how Jabari Smith's visit went?

SIAP
From Rob Lewis:

Had a chance to catch up with five star Jabari Smith, the No. 5 player in 2021 after he wrapped up his official visit today. Nothing earth shattering as it’s early and he isn’t going to be making a decision anytime soon but he had a great trip.

He was raving about the arena and the atmosphere at the game yesterday. Really liked the coaching staff and the culture around the team. Liked what he heard from Rick about how they would use him in the system.

Like pretty much every recruit we speak with he mentioned how impressed he and his father were with player development.

Mentioned that he would almost certainly be back next fall for another official visit.

I would expect the Vols to be major players in this one.

@MoCo_Vol. Thanks, I always appreciate the info you bring. Really hope we can land this kid

Thanks. Agreed, I was pretty excited we got a visit then we went on to beat the Gators with a crowd over 20k in what was probably the best atmosphere we could have hoped for for his visit. He would be an amazing 2021 prospect to land!

Shhhhhh.......there are some Memphis fans lurking. Not too loud or you will hurt their ego.

I hear you guys on quality of shot and open looks with playing inside out or drive and kick, but the problem is we get open looks a lot and guys continue to miss, meanwhile we got guys on opposing teams dancing a 3 pt line with us in face and drilling them. Just frustrating is all.

@MoB_MoVols anything from the War Room last night?
Recruiting wise, Tennessee was in Nashville to see Moussa Cisse on Wednesday as his team participated in the state tournament at Lipscomb. The Vols have really cranked the heat up on Cisse in the last month. Providing that Briarcrest beats Baylor on Friday night, Rick Barnes will be in Nashville on Saturday night to see 5-star Kennedy Chandler the top point guard in the 2021 class. It’s another big visit weekend for the Vols as 4-star shooting guard Kowacie Reeves will be in town for an official visit. Reeves is the No. 38 ranked player in the 2021 class and a high priority target for Tennessee. This will be Reeves’ first official visit. That makes two weeks in a row that the Vols have had top talent 2021 class on campus for official visits.
-VQ

VN Store

Back