Scott Cochran to UGA as on-the-field Coach per Bruce Feldman (merged)

It is uncanny, incredibly uncanny, how similar Richt's first 4 years and Kirby's first 4 years are. Even down to specific losses.
Richt didn't get fired for his first 4 seasons, he got fired for his last 4. This looks to me like Cochran knows Saban isn't going to be around a whole lot longer.

It's a negative at a place like Georgia, which demands national championships. They fired Richt because his teams had regressed on the field and he didn't have a title that added to his job security to fall back on. Richt was just as good on the field in his first 4 years as Kirby has been. Fair or unfair, Kirby's got to show more (i.e., win a national title).

When you're comparing Richt and Kirby, I think it's key to use consistent timeframes of their careers. Kirby's first 4 years at Georgia look good compared to Richt's last 4 years at Georgia, but I'm not sure that is the best comparison. During each of their first 4 years, both coaches were these young, fresh-faced, great coordinators on their sides of the ball that injected some life back into the programs. Richt was never as good of a recruiter as Kirby was, but he was better than Donnan. Kirby has shown to be a better recruiter than Richt. All the other similarities are there. An install/retool year in year 1, an SEC title and top 3 finish in year 2 (...and Richt would have been in a 4-team playoff had one existed), and then a loss in the SECCG in year 3. On the field, Kirby has achieved more than Richt only in the number of division titles...Kirby made it back to the SECCG in year 4 and lost, while Richt did not make it to the SECCG in year 4 but did finish #7 overall.

Overall, this notion that Kirby is a way better coach than Richt is just a perception in people's minds, not borne out by any facts (so far). I think it's got a lot to do with Kirby being a hardass while Richt was this nice, almost meek guy, plus Kirby is a better recruiter and has played in a national championship game. But remember Richt also would have had a chance to play for a title in 2002 had a CFP existed. If a CFP didn't exist in 2017, Kirby wouldn't have had a chance to play in the title game, just like Richt didn't have a chance to, since they were both outside the top 2 when the conference title games were over.

You can fire/hire whomever but if the root of the issue is still there you can’t move any farther.

Kirby is the root. He dropped the game on his own faults and showed his true colors blaming the WRs.

Reactions: Remy
Wouldn't you figure he's far more valuable as a S&C coach though? Does he have any experience with on-the-field coaching?

Perhaps he tried this and it didn't work, but if I'm Saban I'd offer that guy just about whatever he wanted to stay on as my S&C coach. Perhaps he really wanted to try and on-the-field role and it wasn't really about money (although I'm naturally really skeptical when I hear things like that).

Cochran and Saban are the only common denominators of the dynasty, and now that Cochran's gone it's just Saban.

Reactions: Otis1105
I really don't know. Even if he doesn't get an extra cent, he'll be making quite a bit for a special teams coach, and I'm sure Saban offered a raise. I can only assume it's about the role more than it's about money. It's a slight risk for Kirby in that Scott has never coached or recruited before. But, as a special teams guy I would think that's a risk worth taking. Worst case scenario: it doesn't work out and you have arguably the best S&C coach in the country already on the payroll.

There’s no arguing to it.
They’re always conditioned and built for 4 quarters.
You can’t upgrade from the best in the game.
It may not show right away but this will hurt them.

This guy has been a world class trength and conditioning coach so Kirby genius that he is has decided he's to become an on the field special teams coach. That's like taking a Ferrari to a tractor pull. I an't skleered at all. The great news? He's not doing strength and conditioning for Bama or UGA.

As a person with special needs I can say that this monetary raise will greatly help their family in helping to care for the family member with special needs and CKS and CSC can each help the other with tips and other stuff.

Every year something happens with Georgia that people swear "this is their year", even some of our own. However, every year they pull a Georgia, and never win it all. 40 years and counting!!😄

Reactions: BAMA-DAWG and tbh
Saban was so POed he would not let Cochran say goodbye to the team.

Real class guy that Alabama coach.

Frankly I do not blame Saban for handling it that way. Once an individual accepts a position with another school lock them out of the facilities. If they're such good friends, call or text each other, but do it on your own dime and at a place other than the school who used to pay you.

Reactions: GVF and tbh
I’m sure some will disagree but looking at his position coaches they don’t pop off the page like a Saban staff normally would.

Come on...the legendary Sal Sunseri carries with him all the star power that staff needs, and then some.

But yeah, you're absolutely right.

Frankly I do not blame Saban for handling it that way. Once an individual accepts a position with another school lock them out of the facilities. If they're such good friends, call or text each other, but do it on your own dime and at a place other than the school who used to pay you.
How much did it cost to let him in the room for 5 minutes? Cost him more with this petty move. More reflection from that illuminating special he did with Belichick on HBO.

Reactions: tnutater
Maybe he knows Saban is nearing the end and wants to hitch his wagon to his old pal Kirby to preserve his own career?

Was Saban supposed to organize a last minute, offseason team meeting to let Cochran "say goodbye"? I'm sure Scott has everyone's email. Write a note.

VN Store

Back